Home > Taj MG Road Hotel Review
by Santorini Dave • Updated: October 9, 2019
Taj MG Road, Bengaluru – Refined and refurbished, a magnificent option in the heart of downtown.
One among a renowned chain of opulent hotels across India, the Taj MG Road hotel has been completely revamped (mid-2019). It provides the sort of rooms expected of a five-star, except they also now feature a contemporary design and modern extras like ergonomic desks. The floor-to-ceiling (and tripled-glazed) windows offer vast views of the city or distant vistas of the manmade Ulsoor Lake from a balcony. The outdoor pool is large and shady, and the gym and spa are more spacious than at most rivals. One definite attraction is the inner-city location: walkable to the metro and directly over the road from an excellent mall which is home to swish bistros/bars, a games arcade, and a fabulous supermarket.
Taj MG Road, Bengaluru – The Location
- Address: The official address is 41/3 M.G. (Mahatma Gandhi) Road, but the hotel gates actually face Bhaskaran Road at a major junction with a flyover.
- Area: Affluent business and shopping district along the eastern end of M.G. Road in the inner city. Decent cafés and a metro station within a 3-minute walk. A large mall is just across the road.
- How to Get There: From the airport (38km, 1-hour drive), take a metered taxi or arrange a pick-up with Uber or Ola (see below). Just as quick, and far cheaper, are the comfortable blue express buses (24 hours) that stop along M.G. Road. About 7km from the Bengaluru City (Krantivira Sangolli Rayanna) railway terminal and adjoining Majestic (Kempegowda) bus station (30-minute drive).
- Handy to: 1MG-Lido Mall.
Taj MG Road, Bengaluru – The Basics
- Guests: Caters mostly to business people on weekdays and Indian tourists during weekends, but foreigners are always welcome, of course.
- Views: As the only major high-rise in the vicinity, views are extensive. Rooms either provide ‘city views’ (i.e. of the streets) or ‘lake views’ (i.e. distant vistas of the man-made Ulsoor Lake).
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Neither provided nor unexpected at this business-oriented hotel, first built in the 1980s.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout for all guests.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)80 6660 4444
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: tajhotels.com
Taj MG Road, Bengaluru – Amenities
- Pool: Outdoors and large. Plenty of natural shade, umbrellas, and sunbeds.
- Spa: With soothing music and intimate rooms, the impressive Jiva Spa offers a wide range of treatments.
- Fitness Center: Surprisingly large, it overlooks a small garden on the 2nd floor. Open 24/7.
- Other Facilities: Business center. Travel desk. Money-changing.
Taj MG Road, Bengaluru – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: The Trinity Square – Completely revamped, it serves excellent meals and extensive buffets at breakfast and lunch. Also, tables along a terrace facing the pool. • Memories of China – Renowned across the city for its outstanding Chinese cuisine created by an expat chef. • ICE – Trendy and intimate, it’s popular among locals for cocktails and martinis.
- Breakfast: May be included, but this depends on the room and how it was booked.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Taj MG Road, Bengaluru – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Rooms (City View or Lake View) • Deluxe Suites
- Smoking Rooms: Some rooms allow smoking.
- Best Room: Deluxe Suites are about twice as spacious as the rooms. Lovely sofa alongside the floor-to-ceiling window.
- For Families: All types of accommodations allow 1 small extra single bed, and many have connecting doors. With separate living areas, the suites are better for families.
Taj MG Road, Bengaluru – Local Transport
- Walking: The hotel is just around the corner from the noisy and polluted M.G. Road, but walking is inevitable because of all the facilities. Strolling is more pleasant along Bhaskaran Road, which the hotel gates face.
- Public Transport: The Namma (Bengaluru) Metro has limited services but does go to the main bus and train stations. (Ambitious plans to connect the airport have stalled indefinitely.) The nearest station – Trinity – is 350m away. Around the corner, opposite The Oberoi hotel. 4-minute walk.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: Very few taxis along the main road, so one is best arranged through reception. Otherwise, Uber and Ola are very common. For most trips around the city, auto-rickshaws are good enough, but drivers won’t use meters, so bargain hard.
Taj MG Road, Bengaluru – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Mamma Mexicana – One of several restaurants on the top floor of the 1MG-Lido Mall (see below). Long menu, fun décor, and well-priced. 2-minute walk (100m).
- Pizza Hut – This familiar outlet (and a Starbucks) are along M.G. Road, just 200m around the corner from the hotel. 3-minute walk (200m).
- Chianti Italian Restaurant and Wine Bar +91 (0)80 4375 5274 – In the same building as Pizza Hut. Extended menu of food and wine in authentic setting. 3-minute walk (200m).
- The Oberoi – This opulent hotel next to the Taj offers: The Orchid Room (elegant setting and silver service), Rim Naam (garden setting and award-winning Thai), and The Polo Club (adorable colonial-style bar/lounge/café). This hotel is worth visiting just to explore the amazing gardens. 4-minute walk (300m).
- This section of M.G. Road seems overrun by banks (none of which change money), but there are a few handicraft stores. The finest shopping is at 1MG-Lido Mall, just over the road from the hotel. It offers a games arcade, several great eateries (including familiar fast-food outlets), and a wonderful Foodhall outlet selling fresh and imported produce. The mall is open from 10 am to 10 pm on weekdays and 9 am to 10 pm weekends. 1-minute walk (100m).
Taj MG Road, Bengaluru – The Hotel
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- The Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- The Best Hotels in Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- The Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Adarsh Hamilton – Review
- Casa Cottage – Review
- The Chancery Pavilion – Review
- The Elanza Hotel – Review
- Ibis Bengaluru City Centre Hotel – Review
- ITC Gardenia – Review
- jüSTa MG Road Hotel – Review
- JW Marriott Hotel Bengaluru – Review
- Laika Boutique Stay – Review
- Oakwood Premier Prestige Bangalore – Review
- The Oberoi, Bengaluru – Review
- Radisson Blu Atria Bengaluru – Review
- St. Mark’s Hotel – Review
- Taj West End – Review