Home > Taj West End, Bengaluru Hotel Review
by Santorini Dave • Updated: October 9, 2019
Taj West End, Bengaluru – So historic, majestic, and spacious, this is the city’s finest by far.
Built over 130 years ago, the award-winning Taj beautifully retains its historic grandeur and is not unnecessarily modernized, except within the rooms. The overall design is so adorably colonial, from the carpeted staircases to the whitewashed terraces, and with no more than two levels, it’s not overbuilt in the slightest. The vast gardens are perfectly maintained and feature fish ponds, immaculate lawns, centuries-old trees, and flowers once used to cure malaria. Among grounds which are massive enough to require buggies, the amenities are exemplary and include two pools surrounded by trees. Even the lowest category rooms are utterly gorgeous, providing more space and elegance than most top-level rooms at rivals in the city center. Absolutely worth a splurge, and certainly worth visiting if staying anywhere else.
Taj West End, Bengaluru – The Location
- Address: 25 Racecourse Road. Opposite the main entrance to the racecourse in the inner north-western suburbs.
- Area: Residential area, with the racecourse, golf course, and some government buildings nearby, but no shops or cafés within walking distance.
- How to Get There: From the airport (33km, 1-hour drive), take a metered taxi or arrange a pick-up with Uber or Ola (see below). About 4km from the Bengaluru City (Krantivira Sangolli Rayanna) railway terminal and adjoining Majestic (Kempegowda) bus station (20-minute drive).
Taj West End, Bengaluru – The Basics
- Guests: Government officials, sports teams, and tourists from India and abroad.
- Views: All rooms face the outstanding gardens. Those on the upper floors offer more extensive garden views.
- Kitchens: The signature Tata Suite (1-only) has a kitchenette.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Jacuzzi in the bathroom of the very luxurious Tata Suite (1-only).
- Extras: Daily newspaper delivered to the rooms. Guests in Club Rooms and Suites receive airport transfers and access to a special lounge with happy hours.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout for all guests.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)80 6660 5660
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: tajhotels.com
Taj West End, Bengaluru – Amenities
- Pool: Only hotel in Bengaluru with 2 pools. Both outdoors, large, and surrounded by natural shade.
- Spa: Housed in the original 10-room inn from 130 years ago, the reception area at the Jiva Spa is larger than the lobbies at some top-end hotels. Wide range of special treatments in sumptuous surroundings. Yoga and meditation also available on request.
- Fitness Center: As spacious as imagined, with all the latest gear.
- For Families: Baby-sitting. Some limited activities for children depending on numbers.
- Other Facilities: Travel desk. Money-exchange. Heritage walk of the grounds for guests. Boutiques.
Taj West End, Bengaluru – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Mynt – Open 24 hours for buffets at breakfast and lunch. Casual, with seating outside facing the adorable gardens. Popular for Sunday brunch and high tea each afternoon. • Masala Klub – Contemporary Indian cuisine in an elegant setting inside and out. Some meals can be cooked at special tables; others served at seats under a 100-year-old tree. • Blue Ginger – Overlooking a pond, the city’s first Vietnamese restaurant is still the finest. Open-air and undercover for authentic food and smart service that continually wins awards. Attached is the exquisite Blue Bar.
- Breakfast: Not included in rates, but available for an extra charge.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Taj West End, Bengaluru – Rooms
- Room Types: Luxury Grande Rooms Garden View • Taj Club Rooms Club Lounge Access • Executive Suites 1 Bedroom Garden View • Luxury Suites 1 Bedroom Garden View • Luxury Rooms Garden View • The Tata Suite (1-only)
- Smoking Rooms: Some rooms allow smoking.
- Best Room: Nothing finer in the entire city than the 1-only Tata Suite. Features a living and dining room, office, kitchenette, jacuzzi, private garden, and Club Lounge benefits (e.g. happy hours and airport transfers).
- For Families: All types of accommodations can fit in extra single beds, while some standard rooms – which are still huge and adorably decorated – have connecting doors. For a family of 4 or larger, book a suite.
Taj West End, Bengaluru – Local Transport
- Walking: Faces the entrance to the racecourse along a busy road. Footpaths allow some pleasant walking, but nothing to see nearby.
- Public Transport: The Namma (Bengaluru) Metro has limited services but does go to the main bus and train stations. (Ambitious plans to connect the airport have stalled indefinitely.) The nearest station – Vidhana Soudha – is about 2km from the hotel. 6-minute drive.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: No taxis along the main road, so one is best arranged through reception. Otherwise, Uber and Ola are very common. For most trips around the city, auto-rickshaws are good enough, but drivers won’t use meters, so bargain hard.
Taj West End, Bengaluru – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Nothing nearby, except at the Radisson Blu Atria Bengaluru, the closest hotel (1km) to the Taj. The Radisson offers: One Atria Café (buffets at lunch and well-priced meals all day), Tijouori (hip setting for traditional local cuisine with contemporary twists), and Whiskey Bar (intimate tables, TV sports, and poolside seats). 14-minute walk.
Otherwise, take an auto-rickshaw (3.5km, 16-minute drive) to the UB City mall (see below) and try:
- Cafe Mangii +91 (0)80 2227 0098 – Pasta, pizza, and lots more in a likable open-air setting.
- Sanchez Restaurant & Cantina – Wide range of delicious Mexican food and an appropriate décor. Loads of fun.
- Farzi Café – One in a countrywide chain of French-style bistros. Chill out with signature cocktails and live music.
- Toscano – Very appealing setting, with authentic Italian food, wine bar, and daily specials.
- Café Coffee Day – On the other side of the road from the hotel gates. Tasty coffee and light meals in a surprisingly spacious area.
About 250m east from the mall are pleasant café/bars, such as:
- The Biere Club – Popular for its colorful setting, affordable pub-style meals, and very happy hours. Micro-brewery and trendy DJs. Red exterior easy to find on a prominent corner. 3-minute walk.
- Bootlegger – Cozy, friendly, and excellent happy hours. Opposite The Biere Club. 3-minute walk.
- Starbucks – Familar design and menu. On 2 levels, offering street views. 4-minute walk.
Taj West End, Bengaluru – The Hotel
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- The Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- The Best Hotels in Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- The Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Adarsh Hamilton – Review
- Casa Cottage – Review
- The Chancery Pavilion – Review
- The Elanza Hotel – Review
- Ibis Bengaluru City Centre Hotel – Review
- ITC Gardenia – Review
- jüSTa MG Road Hotel – Review
- JW Marriott Hotel Bengaluru – Review
- Laika Boutique Stay – Review
- Oakwood Premier Prestige Bangalore – Review
- The Oberoi, Bengaluru – Review
- Radisson Blu Atria Bengaluru – Review
- St. Mark’s Hotel – Review
- Taj MG Road – Review