Tandjung Sari Hotel – Oozes tradition and charm in a top-notch location.
Built way back in 1962, the ‘Cape of Flowers’ is one of the very first hotels in Bali. It was designed to resemble a Balinese village, so all buildings are low-level, and mossy paths meander past ponds of goldfish and stone bowls filled with lotus flowers. With all rooms away from the main street, it is peaceful and serene, but still within a brief stroll to endless cafés and shops. Bungalows are separate and secluded behind lofty stone walls and feature an elegant and often, individual design that marries the traditional (e.g. four-poster beds) with the modern (e.g. sunken baths). The twin-level viewing area overlooks the captivating seaside path and divine beachfront pool.
Tandjung Sari Hotel – The Location
- Area: Prime location about halfway along Sanur. Faces the beach and is surrounded by cafés and other facilities along the road.
- Address: Jalan Danau Tamblingan No 41. Set back 100m from the main road through Sanur, a more relaxed resort region in southern Bali.
- How to Get There: The only way to/from the airport is by metered taxi or chartered car with a driver. This takes about 30 minutes (15 km), depending on traffic.
- Handy to: Speedboats to Nusa Lembongan island and Gili Islands. Golf course.
Tandjung Sari Hotel – The Basics
- Guests: The setting overwhelmingly attracts couples, while the seclusion and old-style charm appeals more to older travelers.
- Beach: Very scenic beach and abundant shade. Like all others in Sanur, it’s not private and can get crowded.
- Views: Almost all accommodations are too far for any sea views. And many bungalows are secluded behind stone walls, although those on 2 levels offer some ocean views from the loft.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided at this sort of old-fashioned boutique resort in Sanur.
- Parking: Limited free and secure parking, but think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +62 (0)361 288 441
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: tandjungsarihotel.com
Tandjung Sari Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: The shady, saltwater pool facing the sea is charming, although not that secluded from the public walking along the beachside path.
- Spa: None.
- Fitness Center: Impressive for a mid-sized boutique hotel.
- Activities: Yoga classes.
- Other Facilities: Gift shop. Reading room.
Tandjung Sari Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The hotel restaurant boasts an adorable beachside setting. Every week or so, there are Indonesian buffets with traditional dance/music by students sponsored by the hotel. Also, regular live jazz, and romantic tables on the sand. Transforms into a ‘food market’ at night on weekends.
- Breakfast: Included in all rates.
- Room Service: Available during restaurant hours of about 7 am to 9.30 pm.
Tandjung Sari Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Village Bungalow • Two Storey Bungalow • Garden Seaview Bungalow • Beach Front Bungalow • Family Bungalow • South Garden Bungalow • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Strict policies, so check with the management before lighting up.
- Best Room: The most adorable of many are the twin-level Beach Front Bungalows with sea views from the upper floor. Surrounded by thriving private gardens and enticing patios.
- For Families: The 2-bedroom Family Bungalows comfortably accommodate 4, but the hotel is not really suitable for those with children.
Tandjung Sari Hotel – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: Walking around Sanur is more pleasant than in most places in southern Bali. With flat roads and minimal traffic, cycling is also popular, and bikes can be rented from the hotel. Walking and cycling are ideal along the beachside path that stretches over 6 km, almost the entire length of Sanur.
- Public Transport: Sanur is unique within southern Bali as local bemos (decrepit minivans with bench seats) ply the main street, but won’t go further north than the golf course. Fares are set but invariably inflated for tourists.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: Driving anywhere in Bali is not recommended, but renting a car is possible at agencies all over Sanur. Motorbikes are also easy to rent and useful for getting around Sanur – less so for elsewhere in southern Bali. Taxis are plentiful, cheap, and comfortable, and the best way to go anywhere in southern Bali. For longer trips, charter a car with a driver. This can be arranged at any travel agency or better, through the hotel.
- Shuttle Bus: To reach any town outside of southern Bali and one that is popular with tourists (e.g. Ubud), buy a ticket at a travel agency for a shuttle bus. Some companies pick up guests from their hotels, but services for Perama, the only island-wide operator, leave from its inconvenient office on Jalan Hang Tuah on the other side of the golf course in northern Sanur. The Kura-Kura Bus company links Sanur with Ubud and the rest of southern Bali, but schedules are convoluted and routes, confusing.
Tandjung Sari Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
All places listed below are towards the south, down the main street:
- The Wicked Parrot – Nightly music (often Irish-themed), shady setting, and friendly service.
- The Porch Café – Quasi-1920’s décor for coffee, pastries, healthy sandwiches, tapas, and several vegetarian options. The burgers are big and service, attentive. Opposite The Wicked Parrot.
- Three Monkeys – Attracts the same crowd night after night for wine, pizza, grills, salads, pasta, and funky live music. Just past The Porch.
- Retro Kitchen & Bar – Indonesian specials, desserts, pizza, and children’s menu in an attractive setting. 400m south of the hotel.
- Numerous minimarts are present in all directions. Barely 100m south down the street from the hotel, the very elegant boutique, Uluwatu, sells gorgeous things made from lace.
- About 650m south along the main street, Hardy’s is a supermarket with a few other shops attached, but is very modest compared to Kuta.
- The massive 18-hole Bali Beach Golf Course dominates northern Sanur, about 1.5 km away.
- Jet-skiing and parasailing, among other fun activities, can be arranged at counters along the beach nearby, but the choice is better at Tanjung Benoa.