by Santorini Dave • Updated: March 11, 2019
See Also: The Best Hotels in Bali
The Stones Hotel – Legian Bali, A Marriott Autograph Collection Hotel – Luxury and location; contemporary and chic.
This opulent resort is along the invisible border between boisterous Kuta and unruffled Legian. Although the entrance is close to the world-class Beachwalk Shopping Center and a plethora of other shops, bars, and cafés, rooms are a tranquil distance from the busy beachside road. The overall design is stylish and distinctive but nothing is particularly reminiscent of Bali. The spacious rooms, each with trendy décor and modern gadgets, can be quite dark inside, and some have no balcony. Better are the ground-floor rooms with patio steps leading to a private pool area that opens out to the main pool. Alternatively, the rooftop pool offers pleasing breezes and enjoyable views. The kids club is indoors but airy, although The Stones is not that family-focused.
The Stones Hotel – Legian Bali, A Marriott Autograph Collection Hotel – The Location
- Address: Along Jalan Pantai Kuta, the busy beachside road (that heads one-way north). In Kuta (not actually in Legian), the most popular tourist region in Bali. The lobby is about 100m down a lane from the main road.
- Area: Faces the beachside road, only 150m from the invisible divide between Kuta and the quieter region of Legian. Across the busy road from the renowned Kuta Beach. Fabulous position with endless facilities all around.
- How to Get There: The only way to/from the airport is by metered taxi or chartered car with a driver. This takes about 25 minutes, depending on traffic.
- Handy to: All the facilities in Kuta and Legian.
The Stones Hotel – Legian Bali, A Marriott Autograph Collection Hotel – The Basics
- Guests: Most guests are couples, rather than families, and many seem to be under 40.
- Kids Club: The supervised Jasper Kids Club is indoors but bright, airy, and inviting. Activities for the younger ones run all day.
- Beach: Just across the road, the beach is wide, shady, and packed with drink stalls. Be wary of waves, however, and swim between the flags.
- Views: All rooms are 200m+ back from the main road, so none offer sea views. All face the gardens and/or pool but some look directly into the window of another room.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Some rooms at ground level have access to a private pool area that opens out to the main pool. Autograph Suite Rooms feature a private infinity pool.
- Wi-Fi: Free throughout the resort for all guests.
- Parking: A few free and secure spots available but think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (0)361 300 5888
- Email: Send a message through their website thestoneshotelbali.com
- Website: thestoneshotelbali.com
The Stones Hotel – Legian Bali, A Marriott Autograph Collection Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: 2 pools. The one on the rooftop provides the finest views from anywhere in the resort. The main pool meanders between many of the rooms and facilities at ground-level. It is lined with gazebos and has a children’s section.
- Spa: The bright and welcoming Celestine Spa provides a range of massages, scrubs, and beauty treatments.
- Fitness Center: The GAIA Fitness Center contains state-of-the-art equipment.
The Stones Hotel – Legian Bali, A Marriott Autograph Collection Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: The Stone Kitchen – All-day dining and open-plan kitchen areas. • The Long Rice Table – Swanky bistro focusing on Indonesian cuisine, including the popular rijsttafel (shared plates of local food). Dress up. Dinner only. • Big Bar Fish & Grill – Casual and open all day for mouth-watering seafood and succulent grilled meats. • Pool Bar – Open until late for signature cocktails and trendy DJs.
- Open evenings only and part of The Stones Entertainment Center are: Blue Sapphire Club & Bar – Pool for guests, colorful sofas alongside the street, and loud DJs all night. • Salt of the Earth – Sophisticated dining and classic views. • Vinyl – Live music until the wee hours. • Infamy – Trendy cocktail lounge on the rooftop.
- Breakfast: Not included but can be added when booking or at the time.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
The Stones Hotel – Legian Bali, A Marriott Autograph Collection Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Rooms • Premium Pool Rooms • Deluxe Pool Rooms • Junior Suites • Deluxe Suites • Pool Suites • Autograph Suite Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed in the rooms or public areas but permitted elsewhere.
- Best Room: The Autograph Suite Rooms are massive, featuring separate living areas, private infinity pools, and remarkable marble bathrooms.
- For Families: Some rooms and suites have connecting doors and the Deluxe Rooms can fit in an extra single bed. However, the resort doesn’t really cater to families like rivals to the north in Legian.
The Stones Hotel – Legian Bali, A Marriott Autograph Collection Hotel – Local Transport
- Walking: Walkable to everything that Kuta and Legian have to offer. Cycling on the path alongside Legian Beach is great fun. Ask the hotel about bike rental.
- Public Transport: In lieu of any public transport, the Kura-Kura Bus company links Kuta/Legian with Ubud and the rest of southern Bali, but schedules are convoluted and routes confusing.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: To go anywhere within southern Bali, hire metered taxis which are abundant, cheap, and comfortable. For longer distances, charter a car with a driver for a negotiable fare. Drivers hang around street corners but it’s better to organize this through the hotel. Driving a car is not recommended anywhere in Bali, and renting one in Kuta is madness. Motorbikes are easy to rent and useful for getting around the backstreets of Kuta and Legian, but not so elsewhere in southern Bali.
- Shuttle Bus: To reach another town outside of southern Bali, e.g. Ubud, buy a ticket at a travel agency for a shuttle bus. The main operator, Perama, offers many services from its office on Jalan Legian street in Kuta, about 2km south of the hotel. (21-minute walk).
The Stones Hotel – Legian Bali, A Marriott Autograph Collection Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
Almost every place along the beachside road is noisy and very few offer any sea views. These 3 are the closest to the resort:
- The Beach Lounge Bali – Colorful and comfy lounges, beanbags, tables at street-level, and more inside and upstairs. Less than 50m south of the resort entrance. 1-minute walk.
- Papa’s Limoncello Bali – Al fresco Italian bistro. Salads, soups, sandwiches, and famous pizzas. 100m north. 1-minute walk.
- Bella Italia Kuta Beach – Quaint Mediterranean-style setting and authentic food. 100m past Papa’s. 2-minute walk.
These places are within 600m of the resort entrance, along Jalan Melasti, which heads inland just to the north.
- Warung Kampung (0)852 3820 5004 – The ‘Village Food Stall’ is an adorable respite, 100m back from the road. Authentic local food and genuine hospitality. 6-minute walk (500m).
- Sidewalk Café – Asian food, burgers, and pizzas served at tables on the footpath and quieter ones upstairs. 7-minute walk (550m).
- Koko Bar and Restaurant – Classic Kuta eatery, varied menu, quiet setting, and super-friendly staff. 8-minute walk (600m).
- A few shops (some empty) are along the access lane between the beachside road and lobby. The main shopping street, Jalan Legian, is about 1km away, via Jalan Melasti (11-minute walk). A more congregated and varied selection of about 200 places to eat, drink, and shop in comfort is at the world-class Beachwalk Shopping Center, 600m south along the beachside road (8-minute walk).