Three Brothers Bungalows – Charming, traditional, and mid-priced oasis.
Stretching across a vast complex and facing a quiet street lined with shops and cafés, this hotel boasts a setting and size envied by five-star resorts. Unlike others of its vintage, the Three Brothers doesn’t feel or look dated, with constant renovations ensuring modern comforts without sacrificing tradition and charisma. Rooms are mostly semi-detached and only on one or two levels within traditionally-designed buildings; most feature ornately-carved doors, four-poster beds, and high thatched ceilings. The sparkling blue pool is almost hidden behind thickets of palms, and the well-kept gardens are home to several birds as well as banyan trees and other dense foliage which ensure privacy. Sometimes, one of the very first is still one of the best.
Three Brothers Bungalows – The Location
(Also known as The Three Brothers Inn.)
- Area: Across an extended block with most rooms (and the café) near the foot entrance along Jalan Padma Utara, which is the best way in/out for restaurants and the beach. For Jalan Legian and its better range of shops, use the car entrance near the lobby. The foot entrance is about 500m from the beach.
- Address: Jalan Legian Tengah, Kuta. Between the main road, Jalan Legian (with the lobby and entrance by car) and a parallel side street, Jalan Padma Utara (with the hotel café and entrance by foot). In the middle of Legian, part of the most popular tourist region in Bali.
- How to Get There: The only way to/from the airport is by metered taxi or chartered car with a driver. This takes about 25 minutes, depending on traffic.
- Handy to: All the facilities in Legian and Kuta.
Three Brothers Bungalows – The Basics
- Guests: Most guests seem to be couples, many returning year after year. Families are welcome but, aside from the children’s pool, there are no facilities specifically for younger ones.
- Beach: The beach is about 500m via Jalan Padma road to the south. Wide and shady, it has plenty of drink stalls on the white sand. However, waves are often more suitable for surfers, so take care and swim between the flags.
- Views: All accommodations overlook the flourishing gardens.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided in a midrange and old-fashioned hotel like this.
- Parking: More free and secure parking spots than are available at other hotels in the area, but think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +62 (0)361 751 566
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: threebrothersbungalows.com
Three Brothers Bungalows – Amenities
- Pool: The sparkling blue pool is easy to miss, hidden behind thickets of palms and ferns. Children’s pool attached.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at a midrange hotel like this.
- Other Facilities: Laundry.
Three Brothers Bungalows – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The attractive Itu Itu Resto is alongside the hotel’s foot entrance. Looks like many others in the area but the quality of food is far superior. Delicious Indonesian and Western food with organic ingredients at pleasing prices. Opens early for breakfast and closes at midnight.
- Breakfast: Most rates include breakfast, but double-check when booking.
- Room Service: Available during restaurant hours of about 7 am to 11 pm.
Three Brothers Bungalows – Rooms
- Room Types: Standard Room • Deluxe Room (with air-con) • Deluxe Room (with fan) • Deluxe Suite • Deluxe Family Room • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms but permitted elsewhere on the grounds.
- Best Room: Deluxe Suites are the most spacious and feature extended terraces and nicer Balinese décor.
- For Families: Deluxe Suites can fit in extra single beds. The spacious and twin-level Deluxe Family Rooms which can accommodate 5 are better.
Three Brothers Bungalows – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: Walkable to everything that Legian and Kuta have to offer.
- Public Transport: In lieu of any public transport, the Kura-Kura Bus company links Kuta with Ubud and the rest of southern Bali, but schedules are convoluted and routes confusing.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: To go anywhere within southern Bali, hire metered taxis which are abundant, cheap, and comfortable. For longer distances, organize a chartered car with driver (for a negotiable fare). Drivers hang about street corners, but it’s best to organize through the hotel. Driving a car is not recommended anywhere in Bali and renting one in Kuta/Legian is madness. Motorbikes are easy to rent and useful for getting around the backstreets of Kuta and Legian, but not so elsewhere in southern Bali.
- Shuttle Bus: To reach another town outside of southern Bali, e.g. Ubud, buy a ticket at a travel agency for a shuttle bus. The main operator, Perama, provides services all over Bali from its office on Jalan Legian street in Kuta, about 2 km south of the hotel.
Three Brothers Bungalows – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
All places listed below are along the side street, Jalan Padma Utara (distances from the foot entrance at the hotel café).
- Warung Yogya – Fave among locals for authentic and affordable local food at cheap prices. About 50m south.
- La Monde Restaurant – Classiest eatery along the street. Upstairs for seafood, grills, and views. Opposite Warung Yogya, a little further south.
- Posers Pub – Very popular corner setting for pub grub, people-watching, and meeting new friends. At the end of the street, 200m south.
- Makan Place – Spacious and impressive traditional design. Patrons return nightly for the exceptional service and food. Very close to Posers.
- Wayan & Friends International – Great for baguettes and light meals in a colorful setting. About 300m north.
- Coffeeterie – Enchanting corner position for healthy meals and decent coffee. About 500m north up the street in Borough Hostel.
- The hotel vehicle entrance is along the main shopping street, Jalan Legian, with endless minimarts and other shops of various quality in both directions. A more congregated and varied selection of places to eat, drink, and shop in comfort is at the world-class Beachwalk Shopping Center. On the beachside road in Kuta, about 2 km to the south.