SD › Tonga Hotels › Black Pearl Suites Review
Updated: January 5, 2021
The Black Pearl – Isolated, but charming and atmospheric.
Typically Tongan, this may seem abandoned but is effusively welcoming inside. Based in an old-style whitewashed building that seems to continually suffer from cyclone damage, it only offers suites, which are really just rooms. Upstairs and accessible from a corridor, none have sea views, despite the balconies, but are, nonetheless, airy, bright, and breezy. Each is individually decorated, some feature rather ornate furniture and art, and a few even have a second lounge/daybed on a mezzanine level for a child. More renowned for the steak restaurant and bar at the front, The Black Pearl Suites is remote, with taxis and minibuses rarely passing by.
The Black Pearl Suites – The Basics
- Location: Along the far western end of Vuna Road, the esplanade in Nuku’alofa, the capital on the main island. About 3 km from downtown and 40 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: Caters to all, including small families, but less likely to appeal to business people.
- Beach: The beach just across the road is too rocky to even walk on, let alone lie on or swim in. The closest serviceable beach is at Ha’atafu, on the far western tip, about 20 km away.
- Views: None of the rooms have sea views; they all look into another building to the side.
- Wi-Fi: Provided free for guests of the hotel and restaurant.
- Parking: Plenty of free parking, catering for restaurant guests, also.
- How to Book: Agoda will have the best price.
- Phone: (676) 28 393
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: Facebook
The Black Pearl Suites – Amenities
- Pool, Spa, & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of hotel in Tonga.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
The Black Pearl Suites – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The Black Pearl Restaurant claims to offer the ‘best steak in Tonga’. The colonial-style setting is pleasant, and the airy balcony is ideal for the breeze and views. The bar is congenial and popular with expats in the know.
- Breakfast: A continental breakfast is included.
- Room Service: Available during restaurant hours – 11am to 9pm.
The Black Pearl Suites – Rooms
- Room Types: Only ‘suites’ are offered. Each is completely different in décor, layout, and size.
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is not allowed inside the rooms, but is okay on the balconies.
- Best Room: The best would be the one furthest from the bar and restaurant, which are at the front of the building.
The Black Pearl Suites – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Little India – Delightful setting overlooking a pond in Mamta Villa. Much more than just curries, with an open-air bar and pool table. About 150m back towards town.
- Little Italy – Understandably popular for all sorts of Italian cuisine and seafood. Also, an extensive wine list and exquisite desserts. About 1.5 km along the esplanade towards town.
- Friends Café – Always busy, if only for the free and reliable Wi-Fi. Claims to have the ‘best coffee in town’, as well as delicious meals. Easy to find at a corner on the main street, Taufa’ahau Road.
- Marco’s Pizza Pasta – Hard to find in a side street (Unga Road), two blocks southeast of Friends. Also, fish, grills, salads, and tasty desserts, with relaxed garden seating and live music on weekends.
- Enjoy Café – Friendly, with street-side seats, cakes, all-day breakfast and substantial meals. In the backstreets on Railway Road, one block south of the main street, Taufa’ahau Road.
Nearby Market or Grocery
There are no shops along this end of the esplanade, so head downtown.
Infrequent ‘taxis’ (actually shared minibuses) ply the esplanade but rarely travel this far. So, order a private (unmetered) taxi at the hotel.
The Black Pearl Suites – The Hotel
All Tonga Hotel Reviews
- Best Hotels in Tonga
- Best Hotels for Families in Tonga
- Where to Stay in Tonga
- Best Time to Visit Tonga
- Best Hotels in Bora Bora
- Best Hotels for Families in Bora Bora
- Best Hotels in Fiji
- Best Hotel for Families in Fiji
- Best Hotels in New Caledonia
- Best Hotels for Families in New Caledonia
- Best Hotels in Tahiti
- Best Hotels for Families in Tahiti
- Best Hotels in Vanuatu
- Best Hotels for Families in Vanuatu
Get All New Content• My Travel Newsletter