Updated: July 11, 2018
Captain Cook Apartments – Low-key, self-catering and convenient; great for budget-minded families.
The handful of apartments are in a small 2-level block with a vague nautical design facing the sea, and within a pleasant stroll of downtown. Set back from the road, with a patio and modest gardens, very little, particularly the furniture, has changed since about 1972, but it’s charming in a laidback unstated Tongan way. All apartments are the same: with 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, balcony/veranda and unusually, air-con in the main bedroom and lounge area, but the second bedroom is cramped. It’s affordable, handy to downtown, and with friendly owners living onsite there’s a chance to interact with a Tongan family.
Captain Cook Apartments – The Basics
- Location: Unsigned along Vuna Road, the western end of the esplanade, in the capital Nuku’alofa on the main island. About 1.4km from the town centre and 40 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: Caters mainly for business people on a budget, especially those staying a while, but also ideal for families and small groups.
- Beach: It faces the sea but there is no beach anywhere in or around Nuku’alofa. The closest serviceable beach is at Ha’atafu, on the far western tip, about 20km away.
- Views: The apartments on the second (top) floor have better sea views, but the ocean is 100m away.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Not provided.
- Parking: Enough free and secure parking in the front yard.
- Phone: (676) 25 600
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: n/a
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Captain Cook Apartments – Amenities
- Pool, Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided in this sort of low-key apartment block in Tonga.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Captain Cook Apartments – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Lounge/Bar: Not expected or provided, but several places are within walking distance (see below).
- Breakfast: Not provided, because guests are expected to self-cater using kitchens.
- Room Service: Not available, because there’s no restaurant onsite, and each apartment has a kitchen.
Captain Cook Apartments – Rooms
- Room Types: All self-contained apartments with 2 bedrooms.
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking only allowed outside the rooms.
- Best Room: All the same inside, but those on the top (second) floor will have better views, and the ones at the end of the block, away from the lobby area, would be quieter.
Captain Cook Apartments – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Little Italy Restaurant – understandably popular for pasta, pizza, steaks and seafood. Also, an extensive wine list and exquisite desserts. Almost next door. 1-minute walk.
- Seaview Lodge Restaurant and Deck (23709) – for sea views, romantic settings and haute cuisine with a Polynesian flare. Also, open for breakfast. Reservations recommended in the evenings. About 600m along the esplanade towards town. 8-minute walk.
- Friends Café – very popular, if only for the Wi-Fi. Claims to have the ‘best coffee in town’, but also an impressive range of meals. Easy to find at a corner on the main street, Taufa’ahau Road. 3-minute drive.
- Reload Bar Tonga (862 2383) – virtually the only bar in town, along the main street. Happy hours, locally-brewed beers, DJs and adequate meals. 3-minute drive.
- Enjoy Café (887 8098) – friendly, with street-side tables. Offers cakes, coffee, all-day breakfast and substantial meals. In the backstreets on Railway Road, one block south of the main street.
- Market or Grocery: There is nothing close by, so walk (1.4km) or catch a minibus to the town centre, where there are supermarkets, a produce market and 2 handicraft markets.
Shared ‘taxis’ (actually minibuses) pick up passengers along the esplanade for a negotiable fare.