Home > Captain Cook Apartments Review
Updated: January 5, 2021
Captain Cook Apartments – Low-key, self-catering, and convenient – great for budget-minded families.
The handful of apartments are in a small two-level block with a vague nautical design facing the sea, and within a pleasant stroll of downtown. Set back from the road, with a patio and modest gardens, very little, particularly the furniture, has changed since about 1972, but it’s charming in a laidback unstated Tongan way. All apartments are the same: with two bedrooms, a kitchen, balcony/patio, and unusually, air-con in the main bedroom and living area. It’s affordable, handy to downtown, and with friendly owners living on-site, there’s a chance to interact with a Tongan family.
Captain Cook Apartments – The Basics
- Location: Unsigned along Vuna Road, the western end of the esplanade, in the capital Nuku’alofa on the main island. About 1.5 km from the town center and 40 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: Caters mainly for business people on a budget, especially those staying a while, but also ideal for families and small groups.
- Beach: It faces the sea but there is no beach anywhere in or around Nuku’alofa. The closest serviceable beach is at Ha’atafu, on the far western tip, about 20 km away.
- Views: The apartments on the second (top) floor have better sea views, but the ocean is 100m away.
- Wi-Fi: Not provided.
- Parking: Enough free and secure parking in the front yard.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (676) 25 600
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: Facebook
Captain Cook Apartments – Amenities
- Pool, Spa, & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided in this sort of low-key apartment block in Tonga.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Captain Cook Apartments – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Lounge/Bar: Not expected or provided, but several places are within walking distance (see below).
- Breakfast: Not provided, because guests are expected to self-cater using kitchens.
- Room Service: Not available, because there’s no restaurant, and each apartment has a kitchen.
Captain Cook Apartments – Rooms
- Room Types: All self-contained apartments with 2 bedrooms.
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is only allowed outside the rooms.
- Best Room: All the same inside, but those on the top (second) floor will have better views, and the ones at the end of the block, away from the lobby area, would be quieter.
Captain Cook Apartments – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Little Italy Restaurant – Understandably popular for pasta, pizza, steaks, and seafood. Also, an extensive wine list and exquisite desserts. Almost next door.
- Seaview Lodge and Restaurant – For sea views, a romantic setting, and haute cuisine with a Polynesian flare. Also open for breakfast. Reservations recommended in the evenings. About 600m along the esplanade towards town.
- Friends Café – Very popular, if only for the Wi-Fi. Claims to have the ‘best coffee in town’, as well as an impressive range of meals. Easy to find at a corner on the main street, Taufa’ahau Road.
- Reload Bar Tonga – Virtually the only bar in town, along the main street. Happy hours, locally-brewed beers, DJs, and adequate meals.
- Enjoy Café – Friendly, with street-side tables. Offers cakes, coffee, all-day breakfast, and substantial meals. In the backstreets on Railway Road, one block south of the main street.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- There is nothing close by, so walk (1.5 km) or catch a minibus to the town center, where there are supermarkets, a produce market, and 2 handicraft markets.
Shared ‘taxis’ (actually minibuses) pick up passengers along the esplanade for a negotiable fare.
Captain Cook Apartments – The Hotel
All Tonga Hotel Reviews
- Best Hotels in Tonga
- Best Hotels for Families in Tonga
- Where to Stay in Tonga
- Best Time to Visit Tonga
- Best Hotels in Bora Bora
- Best Hotels for Families in Bora Bora
- Best Hotels in Fiji
- Best Hotel for Families in Fiji
- Best Hotels in New Caledonia
- Best Hotels for Families in New Caledonia
- Best Hotels in Tahiti
- Best Hotels for Families in Tahiti
- Best Hotels in Vanuatu
- Best Hotels for Families in Vanuatu