Emerald Hotel & Restaurant – Convenient, popular, spacious, and seaside.
Offering a prime esplanade setting, the Emerald is the closest to the town center – barely ten minutes – of the several hotels along the eastern esplanade. Although it doesn’t seem much from the outside, all rooms are pleasingly spacious. The suites feature rather plush and oversized sofas that are comfortable in a typically unstated Tongan way. The Deluxe Rooms face the side of the building, though the views are still decent. Other benefits are the Chinese restaurant downstairs and proximity to a bus terminal just across the road for services to the eastern part of the island.
Emerald Hotel & Restaurant – The Basics
- Location: Along the eastern end of Vuna Road, the esplanade in the capital Nuku’alofa on the main island. About 500m from downtown and 40 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: Focuses on business people, but all are welcome and catered to.
- Beach: There is no beach in or around Nuku’alofa. The closest serviceable beach is at Ha’atafu on the far western tip, about 20 km away.
- Views: Rooms facing the front have uninterrupted sea views, but also overlook the main road which is fairly quiet. However, most have views of neighboring buildings and gardens to the side.
- Wi-Fi: Ask management about free access when booking.
- Parking: Plenty of free parking.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (676) 22888
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: emerald-tonga.com
Emerald Hotel & Restaurant – Amenities
- Pool, Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this range of hotel in Tonga.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Emerald Hotel & Restaurant – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The Emerald Chinese restaurant is on the ground floor. Typically cavernous, its authentic cuisine attracts large groups of Chinese (always a good sign). Importantly, it’s open on Sundays, when most of Tonga closes down. Takeaway also available.
- Breakfast: A modest continental breakfast is included in the rates.
- Room Service: Available during normal restaurant hours – 12 pm to 9 pm.
Emerald Hotel & Restaurant – Rooms
- Room Types: Standard Room • Deluxe Room • Suite
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is permitted in a selected number of rooms, although this is not generally advertised or known.
- Best Room: Facing the front and offering direct sea views from the balcony, the Suites are very spacious and feature inviting leather sofas.
Emerald Hotel & Restaurant – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Fresh Bar and Grill – Decent restaurant with a bar specializing in seafood and imported steaks. At the Tanoa International Dateline Hotel, almost next to the Emerald.
- Friends Café – Very popular, if only for the free and reliable Wi-Fi. Claims to have the ‘best coffee in town’, but also offers delicious meals, gifts, and tours. Easy to find at a corner on the main street, Taufa’ahau Road in downtown, about 600m away.
- Marco’s Pizza Pasta – Only 650m away, but hard to find in a side street (Unga Road) 2 blocks southeast of Friends. Relaxed, with garden seats and live music on weekends. Also, fish, grills, salads, and tasty desserts.
- Ngutulei Bar & Restaurant – Always popular with expats for its fascinating port-side setting, steaks, seafood, and gossip. About 1.5 km along the esplanade away from town.
- Billfish Bar & Restaurant – Expat hangout, with live music, endless rugby on TV, and pub meals. Also popular for draft beer, quiz nights, and happy hours. Nearly 2 km further along the esplanade from the Emerald. Take a taxi.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- There are a couple of basic supermarkets along the esplanade, but a better selection along with the produce and handicraft markets, are in the town center about 500m away.
Walkable to the town center. The bus terminal across the road has services to places of little interest to tourists in the eastern part of the island.
Emerald Hotel & Restaurant – The Hotel
All Tonga Hotel Reviews
- Best Hotels in Tonga
- Best Hotels for Families in Tonga
- Where to Stay in Tonga
- Best Time to Visit Tonga
- Best Hotels in Bora Bora
- Best Hotels for Families in Bora Bora
- Best Hotels in Fiji
- Best Hotel for Families in Fiji
- Best Hotels in New Caledonia
- Best Hotels for Families in New Caledonia
- Best Hotels in Tahiti
- Best Hotels for Families in Tahiti
- Best Hotels in Vanuatu
- Best Hotels for Families in Vanuatu