Home > Little Italy Hotel Review
Updated: January 5, 2021
Little Italy Hotel – Cozy and chic splash of Mediterranean in the Pacific.
This delightful slice of Italia is instantly recognizable from the balustrades and balconies. All rooms are much the same, with only the views differing: either facing the ocean with direct sea views from the private balconies, or to the back overlooking the attractive gardens. The beds are huge, the sofas are arty, and the wall-length photos of Capri would make any Italian homesick. And adding to the Mediterranean ambience is the ground-floor restaurant, with red-and-white checkered tablecloths and wallpaper scenes from Rome and Tuscany. It is a little isolated – more than a kilometer from downtown – but public transport does pass by regularly.
Little Italy Hotel – The Basics
- Location: Along Vuna Road, the western end of the esplanade, in the capital Nuku’alofa on the main island. About 1.5 km from downtown and about 40 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: All welcome, including families, with many Europeans returning year after year.
- Beach: It faces the sea but there is no beach anywhere in or around Nuku’alofa. The closest serviceable beach is at Ha’atafu, on the far western tip, about 20 km away.
- Views: Half the rooms front the ocean and esplanade (which is quiet). The rest overlook the garden to the back.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout the hotel and restaurant.
- Parking: Some free spots onsite, otherwise easy and safe to park outside on the street.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (676) 25053
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: littleitalytonga.com
Little Italy Hotel – Amenities
- Pool, Spa, & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided in this standard of hotel in Tonga.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Little Italy Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The Little Italy restaurant is justifiably popular for all sorts of Italian food, as well as steaks, seafood and, um, shepherds’ pie. The wine list is one of the longest in Tonga, and the desserts are worth the trip alone. Also, open on Sundays for guests only.
- Breakfast: A continental buffet breakfast is included, with cooked items.
- Room Service: Available during restaurant hours – 7 am to 9 pm.
Little Italy Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Standard Room • Ocean View Room
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed in the rooms, so go out to the beach.
- Best Room: The Ocean View Rooms offer perfect sea views from the extended balconies and modern facilities.
Little Italy Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Little India – Delightful setting overlooking a pond in Mamta Villa. More than just curries, with an open-air bar and snooker table. About 1 km further along the esplanade from town.
- Black Pearl Restaurant – Claims to offer the ‘best steaks in Tonga’. The colonial-style setting is pleasant, the furniture ornate, and the balcony breezy. Another 200m past Little India, in The Black Pearl Suites hotel.
- Reload Bar Tonga – Virtually the only bar in town, along the main street. Happy hours, locally-brewed beers, DJs, and adequate meals.
- Friends Café – Very popular, if only for the Wi-Fi. Claims to have the ‘best coffee in town’, as well as an impressive range of meals. Easy to find at a corner on the main street, Taufa’ahau Road.
- Marco’s Pizza Pasta – Hard to find in a side street (Unga Road), 2 blocks southeast of Friends Café. Relaxed garden seating, with live music on weekends and fish, grills, salads, and tasty desserts.
- Enjoy Café – Friendly, with street-side seats. Offers cakes, all-day breakfast, and substantial meals. In the backstreets on Railway Road, one block south of the main street, Taufa’ahau Road.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Nothing nearby. Catch local transport to downtown for supermarkets and the produce and handicraft markets.
‘Taxis’ (which are actually shared minibuses) pass along the western esplanade outside the hotel. Wave one down and negotiate a fare.
Little Italy Hotel – The Hotel
All Tonga Hotel Reviews
- Best Hotels in Tonga
- Best Hotels for Families in Tonga
- Where to Stay in Tonga
- Best Time to Visit Tonga
- Best Hotels in Bora Bora
- Best Hotels for Families in Bora Bora
- Best Hotels in Fiji
- Best Hotel for Families in Fiji
- Best Hotels in New Caledonia
- Best Hotels for Families in New Caledonia
- Best Hotels in Tahiti
- Best Hotels for Families in Tahiti
- Best Hotels in Vanuatu
- Best Hotels for Families in Vanuatu