Updated: July 12, 2018
Seaview Lodge – Petite, elegant, friendly, with old-style charm.
The most convenient place to stay along the western esplanade, and only 800m from downtown, is spread over 2 whitewashed colonial-era buildings. Most rooms are along the side, with limited views of anything, but comfortable and spacious enough, with a subtle Fijian décor. Better are those on the second floor that face the sea and abandoned jetty from the substantial balcony. Adding to the appeal in all rooms are the king-sized bed and overhead fan. There is no beach nearby, but a walking path parallels the sea to the town centre, and the English-style garden is particularly quaint.
Seaview Lodge – The Basics
- Location: Along Vuna Road, the western esplanade, in Nuku’alofa on the main island. About 800 from the town centre and 40 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: All welcome, but it doesn’t cater that well for families, e.g. extra single beds are not allowed in any rooms.
- Beach: It faces the sea but there is no beach anywhere in or around Nuku’alofa. The closest serviceable beach is at Ha’atafu, on the far western tip, about 19km away.
- Views: Good direct sea views from rooms at the front, but nothing worthwhile from those along the sides.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Free for guests throughout the hotel.
- Parking: No onsite parking. Guests would have to park along the road outside or in a public car park opposite.
- Phone: (676) 26903
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: www.seaview-lodge.com
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Seaview Lodge – Amenities
- Pool, Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided in this small boutique hotel.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Seaview Lodge – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The Seaview Lodge Restaurant and Deck (23709) offers seating inside and out, with white tablecloths, sea views and a romantic setting. Expect haute cuisine with a Polynesian flare from the European chef, as well as classy service and happy hours. Also open for breakfast (and to the public). Reservations recommended in the evenings.
- Breakfast: Not included in the normal rates but certainly worth paying for at the classy café.
- Room Service: Not provided.
Seaview Lodge – Rooms
- Room Types: Standard Rooms • Seaview Rooms • Garden View Rooms • 1 Garden Bungalow
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking is allowed within the rooms, but permitted in the gardens.
- Best Room: The single Garden Bungalow is ideal for a small group or family staying for a while. The private kitchen offsets the need to walk to the cafés in town.
Seaview Lodge – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Little Italy Restaurant – the closest café is about 700m further up the esplanade from town. Justifiably popular for pasta, steaks and seafood, as well as the extensive wine list and delicious desserts. 8-minute walk.
- And it’s only about 800m to the town centre:
- Friends Café – very popular, if only for the free Wi-Fi. Claims to have the ‘best coffee in town’, but also an impressive range of meals. Easy to find at a corner on the main street, Taufa’ahau Road. 10-minute walk.
- Reload Bar Tonga (862 2383) – virtually the only bar in town, with happy hours, locally-brewed beers, DJs and meals. Opposite the Friends Café. 10-minute walk.
- Marco’s Pizza Pasta (22144) – hard to find in a side-street (Unga Road) 2 blocks back southeast of Friends Café. Also, fish, grills, salads and tasty desserts with a relaxed garden seating and live music on weekends. 14-minute walk.
- Enjoy Café (887 8098) – convivial, with street-side seats. Serves cakes, coffee, all-day breakfast and substantial meals. In the backstreets, on Railway Road, 1 block south of the main thoroughfare, Taufa’ahau Road.
- Market or Grocery: Nothing within walking distance. The town centre, 800m away, has a few supermarkets and a produce and souvenir market.
‘Taxis’ (actually shared minibuses) ply the esplanade. Wave one down and negotiate a fare.