Tanoa International Dateline Hotel – Dependable, functional, convenient, and spacious.
The only resort and upmarket hotel in the capital is placed prominently along the esplanade close to downtown. Perennially popular with business people, and also catering to tourists, it provides a range of rooms from the lovely Ocean View Suites to motel-style accommodations which are pleasingly spacious and modern, with white tiled floors and dark wooden furnishings. Some rooms have angled windows for glimpses of the sea across the road – and windows are suitably soundproofed. The resort-style pool features a raised wooden deck and a separate splash area for the youngsters.
Tanoa International Dateline Hotel – The Basics
- Location: On Vuna Road, the eastern part of the esplanade in the capital, Nuku’alofa, on the main island. About 750m to the town center and 40 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: Primarily for business people, but as the only resort in the capital, and one of very few on the entire island, families and holidaymakers are reasonably well catered for.
- Beach: It faces the sea but there is no beach anywhere in or around Nuku’alofa. The closest serviceable beach is at Ha’atafu on the far western tip, about 20 km away.
- Views: Some rooms offer views of the sea, but the majority face inwards towards the gardens.
- Wi-Fi: Available free in public areas, but there may be charges within the rooms. Check when booking.
- Parking: Plenty of secure and free parking available at the back of the hotel.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (676) 234 11
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: tanoahotels.com
Tanoa International Dateline Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: A decent size, with a tiny area for toddlers.
- Spa: None.
- Fitness Center: Surprisingly large and well-equipped.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided at this sort of hotel.
Tanoa International Dateline Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Tu’i Malila Restaurant – Cavernous and only open for breakfast • Fresh Bar and Grill – For light snacks and full meals, with seafood, curries, and imported steaks; popular among locals for the list of wines and yummy desserts • Taulanga’u Bar – Dominated by massive TVs showing nothing but sports, this huge and airy bar at the lobby serves coffee and cocktails.
- Pool Bar – Undercover and spacious with light meals.
- Breakfast: A hearty buffet breakfast is included in all rates.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours.
Tanoa International Dateline Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Room • Superior Courtyard Room • Executive Room • Ocean View Room • Ocean View Suite • 1 Presidential Suite
- Smoking Rooms: Surprisingly, smoking is permitted in some rooms, and also allowed on the balconies and in open areas of the hotel.
- Best Room: The single Presidential Suite is very spacious, with contemporary décor. With a separate living area, corner kitchen, and full-length windows, it caters well for a family of 4.
- For Families: An extra single bed can be included for a minimal extra charge and some rooms have connecting doors.
Tanoa International Dateline Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Emerald Chinese Restaurant – Virtually next door in the Emerald Hotel. Cavernous, authentic, and popular. Importantly, open on Sundays (when most of Tonga closes down). Takeaway available.
- Friends Café – Very popular, if only for the Wi-Fi. Claims to have the ‘best coffee in town’, but also serves delicious meals. About 750m away, along the main street in downtown, Taufa’ahau Road.
- Reload Bar Tonga – Virtually the only bar in town, along Taufa’ahau Road. Happy hours, locally-brewed beers, DJs, and adequate meals.
- The Waterfront Café – Open all day for breakfast, barbecued ribs, Thai salad, and local specialties such as slow-cooked pork belly. In the Waterfront Lodge, 1 km further along the esplanade from town.
- Enjoy Café – Friendly, with street-side tables. For cakes, coffee, all-day breakfast, and substantial meals. On Railway Road, one block south of Taufa’ahau Road.
Nearby Market or Grocery
Several minimarts and supermarkets are dotted around the town center, and a couple of smaller ones are within 100m of the hotel along the esplanade.
‘Taxis’ (actually shared minibuses) ply the esplanade. Wave one down and negotiate a fare, but it’s just as easy to walk into town.
Tanoa International Dateline Hotel – The Hotel
All Tonga Hotel Reviews
- Best Hotels in Tonga
- Best Hotels for Families in Tonga
- Where to Stay in Tonga
- Best Time to Visit Tonga
- Best Hotels in Bora Bora
- Best Hotels for Families in Bora Bora
- Best Hotels in Fiji
- Best Hotel for Families in Fiji
- Best Hotels in New Caledonia
- Best Hotels for Families in New Caledonia
- Best Hotels in Tahiti
- Best Hotels for Families in Tahiti
- Best Hotels in Vanuatu
- Best Hotels for Families in Vanuatu