Updated: July 13, 2018
Tanoa International Dateline Hotel – Dependable, functional, convenient and spacious.
The only resort and upmarket hotel in the capital is placed prominently along the esplanade about 750m from downtown. Perennially popular with business people, but also catering for tourists, it provides a range of rooms from the lovely Ocean View Suites to motel-style accommodation, which is pleasingly spacious and modern, with a white tiled floor and dark wooden furnishings. Some rooms have angled windows for glimpses of the sea across the road – and windows are suitably soundproofed. The resort-style pool features raised wooden decking and a separate splash area for the youngsters, but lacks shade. In fact, the whole place needs more grass and trees.
Tanoa International Dateline Hotel – The Basics
- Location: On Vuna Road, the eastern part of the esplanade in the capital, Nuku’alofa, on the main island. About 750m to the town centre and 40 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: Primarily for business people, but as the only resort in the capital, and one of very few on the entire island, families and holidaymakers are reasonably well catered for.
- Beach: It faces the sea but there is no beach anywhere in or around Nuku’alofa. The closest serviceable beach is at Ha’atafu, on the far western tip, about 22km away.
- Views: Some rooms boast views of the sea, but the majority face inwards towards the gardens.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Available free in public areas, but there may be charges within the rooms. Check when booking.
- Parking: Plenty of secure and free parking available at the back of the hotel.
- Phone: (676) 234 11
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: www.tanoadateline.com
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Tanoa International Dateline Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: A decent size, with a tiny area for toddlers.
- Spa: None.
- Fitness Center: Surprisingly large and well-equipped.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided at this sort of hotel.
Tanoa International Dateline Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Tu’i Malila Restaurant – cavernous and fairly charmless, it is only open for breakfast • Fresh Bar and Grill – for light snacks and full meals, with seafood, curries and imported steaks; popular among locals for the list of wines and yummy desserts • Taulanga’u Bar – dominated by massive TVs showing nothing but sport, this huge and airy bar at the lobby serves coffee and cocktails.
- Pool Bar – undercover, spacious with light meals.
- Breakfast: A hearty buffet breakfast is included in all rates.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours.
Tanoa International Dateline Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Rooms • Superior Courtyard Rooms • Executive Rooms • Ocean View Rooms • Ocean View Suites • 1 Presidential Suite
- Smoking Rooms: Surprisingly, smoking is permitted in some rooms, and also allowed on the balconies and in open areas of the hotel.
- Best Room: The single Presidential Suite is very spacious, with contemporary (if a little bland) décor. With a separate lounge area, corner kitchen and full-length windows, it caters well for a family of 4.
- For families: An extra single bed can be included for a minimal extra charge and some rooms have connecting doors.
Tanoa International Dateline Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Emerald Chinese Restaurant (24619) – virtually next door to the Tanoa. Cavernous, authentic and popular. Importantly, open on Sundays (when most of Tonga closes down). Takeaway available. 1-minute walk.
- Friends Café – very popular, if only for the Wi-Fi. Claims to have the ‘best coffee in town’, but also serves delicious meals. About 750m away, along the main street in downtown, Taufa’ahau Road. 9-minute walk.
- Reload Bar Tonga (862 2383) – virtually the only bar in town, along the main street, Taufa’ahau Road. Happy hours, locally-brewed beers, DJs and adequate meals. 9-minute walk.
- The Waterfront Café – open all day for breakfast, barbequed ribs, Thai salad and local specialities, such as slow-cooked pork belly. In the lodge of the same name, 1.2km further along the esplanade from town. 14-minute walk.
- Enjoy Café (887 8098) – friendly, with street-side tables. For cakes, coffee, all-day breakfast and substantial meals. On Railway Road, one block south of the main street, Taufa’ahau Road.
- Market or Grocery: Several minimarts and supermarkets are dotted around the town centre, and a couple smaller ones are within 100m of the hotel along the esplanade.
‘Taxis’ (actually shared minibuses) ply the esplanade. Wave one down and negotiate a fare, but it’s just as easy to walk into town.