Home > Tungi Colonnade Hotel Review
Updated: January 6, 2021
Tungi Colonnade Hotel – Simple but comfortable, affordable, and central.
Most hotels in the rather scruffy capital are along the scenic waterfront, but they are away from the town center, which offers a better (albeit still limited) range of places to eat, drink, and shop. Set back a little to ensure distance from any traffic noise, the Tungi is the best of a poor choice in downtown. All rooms, each with a sizable balcony, face the main street or overlook the cyclone-ravaged church to the back. They are spacious and feature sofas, sinks, fridges, and overhead fans, which add to the appeal. The staff is amiable and the position is unbeatable: halfway down the main street and only meters from the waterfront.
Tungi Colonnade Hotel – The Basics
- Location: In the town center, halfway along the main street, Taufa’ahau Road in the capital Nuku’alofa on the main island. About 40 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: Caters for budget-minded business people, but ideal for anyone searching for something central and affordable.
- Beach: There is no beach anywhere in or around Nuku’alofa. The closest serviceable beach is at Ha’atafu on the far western tip, about 20 km away.
- Views: Rooms to the front face the carpark along the main street, which is a lot less noisy at night. Those at the back overlook local homes and gardens which are more interesting.
- Wi-Fi: Not free, but charges are a lot less than other hotels.
- Parking: Free parking in the courtyard at the front, but it’s really a public space and not that secure.
- Nice Perks: Free laundry if staying a few days.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (676) 23528
- Email: N/A
- Website: N/A
Tungi Colonnade Hotel – Amenities
- Pool, Spa, & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided in this low-key city hotel.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Tungi Colonnade Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: None, but there are several decent places to eat around town (see below).
- Breakfast: A basic do-it-yourself continental breakfast in the common room.
- Room Service: Not available.
Tungi Colonnade Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Double Room • Standard Room
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed anywhere in the hotel building.
- Best Room: The Double Rooms are larger and more modern, with space for a family of 4. The sofa faces the TV and the full-length windows face the street-front balcony.
Tungi Colonnade Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Friends Café – Very popular, if only for the Wi-Fi. Claims to have the ‘best coffee in town’, but also serves delicious meals. About 300m up the main street.
- Reload Bar Tonga – Virtually the only bar in town, with happy hours, locally-brewed beers, DJs, and adequate meals. Opposite Friends Café.
- Coffee Post – Popular for coffee, muffins, and light meals, and perfect for people-watching. In the post office building at the top of the main street, 300m away.
- Enjoy Café – Friendly, with street-side tables. Offers cakes, coffee, all-day breakfast, and substantial meals. On Railway Road, one block south of the main street.
- Seaview Lodge Restaurant – A delightful 1 km walk along the eastern esplanade for sea views, a romantic setting, and haute cuisine with a Polynesian flare. Also open for breakfast, and reservations recommended in the evenings.
Nearby Market or Grocery
The streets around town are sprinkled with minimarts and supermarkets.
Walkable to anything in or around Nuku’alofa. Private unmetered taxis can be arranged through the hotel lobby.
Tungi Colonnade Hotel – The Hotel
All Tonga Hotel Reviews
- Best Hotels in Tonga
- Best Hotels for Families in Tonga
- Where to Stay in Tonga
- Best Time to Visit Tonga
- Best Hotels in Bora Bora
- Best Hotels for Families in Bora Bora
- Best Hotels in Fiji
- Best Hotel for Families in Fiji
- Best Hotels in New Caledonia
- Best Hotels for Families in New Caledonia
- Best Hotels in Tahiti
- Best Hotels for Families in Tahiti
- Best Hotels in Vanuatu
- Best Hotels for Families in Vanuatu