Updated: July 13, 2018
Tungi Colonnade Hotel – Simple but comfortable, affordable and central.
Most hotels in the rather scruffy capital are along the waterfront, which is scenic, but they are between 500m and 2.5km from the town centre, which offers a better (albeit still limited) range of places to eat, drink and shop. Back a little to ensure distance from any traffic noise, the Tungi is the best of a poor choice in downtown. All rooms, each with a sizeable balcony, face the main street or overlook the cyclone-ravaged church to the back. All rooms are more spacious than expected, with a sofa, sink, fridge and overhead fan adding to the appeal. The staff are amiable and the position is unbeatable: halfway down the main street and only 300m from the waterfront.
Tungi Colonnade Hotel – The Basics
- Location: In the town centre, halfway along the main street, Taufa’ahau Road in the capital Nuku’alofa on the main island. About 40 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: Caters for budget-minded business people, but ideal for anyone searching for something central and affordable.
- Beach: There is no beach anywhere in or around Nuku’alofa. The closest serviceable beach is at Ha’atafu, on the far western tip, about 21km away.
- Views: Rooms to the front face the carpark along the main street, which is a lot less noisy at night. Those at the back overlook local homes and gardens, which are more interesting.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Not free, but charges are a lot less than other hotels.
- Parking: Free parking in the courtyard at the front, but it’s really a public space and not that secure.
- Nice Perks: Free laundry if staying a few days.
- Phone: (676) 23528
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: http://tungicolonnade.com/
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Tungi Colonnade Hotel – Amenities
- Pool, Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided in this low-key city hotel.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Tungi Colonnade Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: None, but there are several decent places to eat around town (see below).
- Breakfast: A basic do-it-yourself continental breakfast in the common room.
- Room Service: Not available.
Tungi Colonnade Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Double Rooms • Standard Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed anywhere in the hotel building.
- Best Room: The Double Rooms are larger and more modern, with space for a family of 4. The sofa faces the TV and the full-length windows face the street-front balcony.
Tungi Colonnade Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Friends Café – very popular, if only for the Wi-Fi. Claims to have the ‘best coffee in town’, but also serves delicious meals. About 300m up the main street. 3-minute walk.
- Reload Bar Tonga (862 2383) – virtually the only bar in town, with happy hours, locally-brewed beers, DJs and adequate meals. Opposite the Friends Café. 3-minute walk.
- Coffee Post (788 6250) – popular for coffee, muffins and light meals, and perfect for people-watching. In the post office building at the top of the main street, 300m away. 3-minute walk.
- Enjoy Café (887 8098) – friendly, with street-side tables. Offers cakes, coffee, all-day breakfast and substantial meals. On Railway Road, one block south of the main street.
- Seaview Lodge Restaurant and Deck (23709) – a delightful 1km walk along the eastern esplanade for sea views, a romantic setting and haute cuisine with a Polynesian flare. Also open for breakfast, and reservations recommended in the evenings. 14-minute walk.
- Market or Grocery: The streets around town are sprinkled with minimarts and supermarkets.
Walkable to anything in or around Nuku’alofa. Private unmetered taxis can be arranged through the hotel lobby.