Updated: July 13, 2018
Villa Apartments (Westside) – Better than a hotel: modern, spacious and ideal for longer stays and families.
Not to be confused with the dreary ‘eastside’ version, this stands tall along the western esplanade about 1.2km from downtown. It looks charmless from the outside, with nothing remotely Tongan, but it serves a purpose, and does it well: studios with a kitchenette, and 1- and 2-bedroom self-contained apartments designed for longer stays (but available for short trips, too). Bedrooms in the apartments are sparsely-furnished and fairly bland, but the lounge rooms are bright and airy. All kitchens are well-equipped, some with proper ovens, while all have microwaves, and the bathroom is substantial enough for a chair. Apartments with 2 bedrooms also feature a balcony facing the ocean, while others to the side on the ground floor open out to a delightful patio area.
Villa Apartments (Westside) – The Basics
- Location: Along the western end of Vuna Road, the esplanade, in the capital, Nuku’alofa, on the main island. About 1.2km from the town centre and 40 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: Mostly for long-term stays, whether business people or families.
- Beach: It faces the sea but there is no beach anywhere in or around Nuku’alofa. The closest serviceable beach is at Ha’atafu, on the far western tip, about 21km away.
- Views: Apartments facing the ocean have good sea views; others face the lawn.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Available throughout for free.
- Parking: Plenty of onsite parking.
- Phone: (676) 25720
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: http://tongavilla.com/villa-apartments/
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Villa Apartments (Westside) – Amenities
- Pool, Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided in this sort of apartment complex in Tonga.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Villa Apartments (Westside) – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: Not expected or provided.
- Breakfast: Not provided as guests are expected to make their own using the kitchen(ette).
- Room Service: Not provided or expected.
Villa Apartments (Westside) – Rooms
- Room Types: Apartments with 1 or 2 bedrooms • Studio Apartments
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is not allowed in the rooms, but allowed on the balcony/veranda and in the gardens.
- Best Room: The 2 Bedroom Apartment on the second floor offers superior views from a private balcony packed with outdoor furniture. It also features a wonderful kitchen.
Villa Apartments (Westside) – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Little Italy Restaurant – understandably popular for all sorts of Italian food, steaks and seafood. Also, an extensive wine list and exquisite desserts. The closest to the apartments, about 300m further along the esplanade from town. 3-minute walk.
- Seaview Lodge Restaurant and Deck (23709) – for sea views, romantic settings and haute cuisine with a Polynesian flare. Also, open for breakfast, and reservations recommended in the evenings. About 500m along the esplanade towards town. 5-minute walk.
- Friends Café – very popular, if only for the free Wi-Fi. Claims to have the ‘best coffee in town’, but also delicious meals. Easy to find along the main street, Taufa’ahau Road. 15-minute walk.
- Reload Bar Tonga (862 2383) – virtually the only bar in town, along the main street, Taufa’ahau Road. Happy hours, locally-brewed beers, DJs and adequate meals. 16-minute walk.
- Enjoy Café (887 8098) – friendly, with street-side tables, coffee, cakes, all-day breakfast and substantial meals. On Railway Road, one block south of the main street, Taufa’ahau Road.
- Market or Grocery: There is nothing close, so walk (1.2km) to the town centre, where there are supermarkets, a produce market and two handicraft markets.
Shared ‘taxis’ (actually minibuses) pick up passengers along the esplanade for a negotiable fare.