Updated: July 19, 2018
Chantilly’s on the Bay – Exquisite, convenient, charismatic and harbour views all over.
A cross between a beach resort and boutique city hotel, Chantilly’s lies on the northern edge of Port Villa, flanked by numerous likeable restaurants and not far from Vanuatu’s only mall. The curved design ensures that all rooms boast widespread views of the harbour and islets just offshore. Although the décor contains no reminders of France or Melanesia, the Studios on the upper floors have a kitchenette and small balcony, while the 1-bedroom apartments cater well for families with a fully-equipped kitchen. The pool faces the sea, with lounge chairs offering wonderful views, but it easily becomes crowded and noisy. And there is a beach next door, albeit undersized and rocky – perhaps, more suitable for toddlers splashing about.
Chantilly’s on the Bay – The Basics
- Location: About 700m north of Port Vila, on the main island of Efate. Along Kumul (aka Lini) Highway, the main road through town, which is also accessible along a pretty seaside path. About 15 minutes by taxi from the airport.
- Guests: Caters reasonably well for families, but the overall vibe is about older guests.
- Beach: There is a passable beach at the Banyan Beach Bar next door, but it’s not great for swimming. Otherwise, catch a minibus along Pango Road, and use the beach around the Breakas Beach Resort, about 6km south from the hotel along the peninsula.
- Views: All rooms have views of the harbour and islands.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Free and unlimited for all guests throughout the hotel.
- Parking: Just enough free parking spots at the entrance, but along the main road, so no guarantee of security.
- Phone: (678) 27079
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: http://www.chantillysonthebay.com/
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Chantilly’s on the Bay – Amenities
- Pool: A top-notch setting overlooking the harbour, but the pool is small, crowded and noisy.
- Spa: The Body & Soul Day Spa on the ground floor offers a wide range of massages and treatments.
- Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of resort/hotel.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Chantilly’s on the Bay – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: Tilly’s Restaurant – a chic bistro offering superb harbour views, with seating inside under the air-conditioning or along the pool deck. Focuses on fresh local produce and provides an extensive wine list.
- Bar: Banyan Beach Bar – next door, fronting a small rocky beach. Open from 3pm for drinks at adorable wooden counters. Also, sofas on the sand, lots of shade and a playground. Snacks available.
- Breakfast: Some rates include a continental buffet breakfast, but check when booking.
- Room Service: Available daily from 7am to 9pm.
Chantilly’s on the Bay – Rooms
- Room Types: Studios • 1-Bedroom Apartments
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is not allowed in any rooms or public areas, but permitted elsewhere.
- Best Room: The 1-Bedroom Apartments offer some of the finest views in or around Port Vila. With a separate lounge area, kitchenette and space for 2 extra single beds, it’s ideal for families.
- For families: The 1-Bedroom Apartments can comfortably cater for a family of 4, while some studios rooms have connecting doors and/or can squeeze in 1 extra single bed.
Chantilly’s on the Bay – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
These places are within 500m north or south of the hotel:
- The Lookout – just up the hill, for garden setting, divine views and French cuisine. And, um, lookout for daily specials. 2-minute walk.
- Crystal Palace (29298) – cavernous Chinese restaurant, with seemingly endless menu and more terrific views across the harbour. 3-minute walk.
- Au Faré – harbour-side French restaurant, popular for seafood platters and cocktails. Attached is the Pizza Hot pizzeria (25580), with takeaways, happy hours and weekend entertainment. 3-minute walk.
- Reefers Restaurant and Rum Bar – long-established expat hangout for cold beers and tall stories. Fabulous for tacos, burgers, seafood and salads. Romantic tables available. 3-minute walk.
- The Office Pub & Flaming Bull Restaurant (27716) – street-side hub for gossip and grills. Affordable and friendly, with lively happy hours and trendy DJs on weekends. 4-minute walk.
- Market or Grocery: The Tana Russet Plaza, Vanuatu’s only shopping mall, is about 350m north of the hotel.
Public minibuses head into Port Vila and beyond every few seconds.
Chantilly’s on the Bay – The Hotel
- Best Hotels in Vanuatu
- Best Family Hotels in Vanuatu
- Angelfish Cove Villas – Review
- Aquana Beach Resort – Review
- Blue Marlin Lodge – Review
- Breakas Beach Resort – Review
- CoCo Beach Resort – Review
- Cocomo Resort & Apartments – Review
- Coconut Palms Resort – Review
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa – Review
- Golden Port Hotel – Review
- Grand Hotel and Casino – Review
- Hideaway Island Resort & Marine Sanctuary – Review
- Iririki Island Resort & Spa Vanuatu – Review
- Mangoes Resort – Review
- The Melanesian Port Vila – Review
- Moorings Hotel – Review
- Nasama Resort – Review
- Paradise Cove Resort – Review
- Poppy’s on the Lagoon Resort – Review
- Ramada Resort Port Vila – Review
- Seachange Lodge – Review
- The Terraces Boutique Apartments – Review
- Tradewinds Villas – Review
- Tropicana Lagoon Resort – Review
- Vila Chaumières – Review