Updated: July 20, 2018
Cocomo Resort & Apartments – Adorable bungalows in a pretty location, but a little out-of-the-way.
Facing a lagoon (which looks remarkably like a river), this attractive and serene resort is only 10 minutes by minibus from Port Vila. The extensive gardens, with a shady playground, beach volleyball net and barbeques, set the tropical tone and holiday vibe – but the undersized pool would get easily overcrowded. Most rooms face the lawns, often closer to the road than the water, but the villas and apartments are more likely to boast sea views. Apartments feature a corner kitchen, laundry and substantial patio, but the lounge area is a little cramped. The pick of the bunch are the Waterfront Deluxe Spa Villas, with water lapping at the wooden deck.
Cocomo Resort & Apartments – The Basics
- Location: Opposite Korman Stadium along Teouma Road. A 10-minute drive east from Port Vila on the main island of Efate, and another 10 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: Attracts a few expats on working trips, but mostly caters for families.
- Beach: A surprisingly broad beach for a narrow lagoon, with calm waters and plenty of starfish. But note: this is not an ocean beach, with a horizon, waves and breezes. In fact, it looks exactly like a river, with a mangrove bank 100m across the other side. For a beach experience, daytrip (with free transfers) to the sister resort on the remarkable Erakor Island.
- Views: Those near the front directly face the water, while most are distant and overlook the lawns.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Free for guests, but access in accommodation further from the lobby may not be great.
- Parking: Plenty of free and secure places to park.
- Nice Perk: Guests have complimentary access to the facilities at the sister resort on Erakor Island, with free transfers and use of non-motorized water-sports.
- Phone: (678) 25505
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: http://www.cocomoresort.com/
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Cocomo Resort & Apartments – Amenities
- Pool: Severely undersized, quickly becoming very crowded and noisy.
- Spa: No spa onsite, but guests can use the Essence Day Spa at the sister resort on Erakor Island, with transfers included. A great day out to this remarkable place.
- Fitness Center: Not really expected or provided at this sort of resort.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Some villas have a spa bath, but none have a private pool or Jacuzzi. There is a Jacuzzi alongside the pool.
- Activities: Free rental of kayaks, fishing rods and snorkelling gear. Also, beach volleyball and a games room with snooker and ping pong tables.
- For families: Babysitting services available. Playground with a trampoline.
Cocomo Resort & Apartments – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: The Beach Bar Café – casual, with a limited selection of tasty meals, including pasta, curries and burgers. Faces the river and alongside the pool • Nakamal Restaurant – really just a barbeque. Guests can use it themselves or arrange for staff to buy and cook the food • The Deck – attached to the restaurant, with happy hours, movie nights, live music and often, fire-and-dance shows.
- Breakfast: Buffet continental breakfast included in most rates.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours, as well as intimate dinners on the beach.
Cocomo Resort & Apartments – Rooms
- Room Types: Waterview Resort Rooms • Waterview Spa Resort Rooms • Waterview Rooms with 2 Bedrooms • 2 Bedroom Apartments • Beachview Deluxe Spa Villas • Waterfront Deluxe Spa Villas
- Smoking: Smoking is allowed on the patios/balconies, but not inside the rooms.
- Best Room: The adorable open-plan Waterfront Deluxe Spa Villas front a private (albeit tiny) beach. Attractions include a spa bath, decking above the water, kitchenette and outdoor shower.
Cocomo Resort & Apartments – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
There are only 2 places within walking distance. Both are less than 500m up the main road away from town:
- Vila Chaumières Restaurant – much-loved countrywide, if only for the chef who’s been there over 20 years. The setting above the water is romantic, but prices are European. Try the Coconut Crab or Vanuatu Steak. 4-minute walk.
- Lagoon Bar & Grill – perched over the water at the Tropicana Lagoon Resort. Limited menu, but tasty food, and the setting is faultless. Lunchtime specials and happy hours offset the high prices. 5-minute walk.
Alternatively, catch a minibus (10 minutes) to Port Vila and try these places along the more convenient northern end of the main street:
- Jill’s Cafe (25125) – popular, casual and specialising in Mexican food, but also wraps, salads and coffee. Great Wi-Fi. 10-minute drive.
- The Rossi Restaurant (29661) – tasteful and tasty Italian-style bistro, with a garden setting, sea views and tiny playground. 10-minute drive
- Nambawan Café – pleasingly cheap considering the perfect waterfront spot. For homemade pies and moonlight movies. 10-minute drive.
- Market or Grocery: Almost next to the resort, the massive Au Bon Marché supermarket also offers a limited selection of (mostly unhealthy) takeaway food.
Minibuses head along the main road into Port Vila every few seconds. For longer trips, chat to one of the drivers hanging around the Au Bon Marché supermarket about chartering a vehicle.
Cocomo Resort & Apartments – The Hotel
- Best Hotels in Vanuatu
- Best Family Hotels in Vanuatu
- Angelfish Cove Villas – Review
- Aquana Beach Resort – Review
- Blue Marlin Lodge – Review
- Breakas Beach Resort – Review
- Chantilly’s on the Bay
- CoCo Beach Resort – Review
- Coconut Palms Resort – Review
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa – Review
- Golden Port Hotel – Review
- Grand Hotel and Casino – Review
- Hideaway Island Resort & Marine Sanctuary – Review
- Iririki Island Resort & Spa Vanuatu – Review
- Mangoes Resort – Review
- The Melanesian Port Vila – Review
- Moorings Hotel – Review
- Nasama Resort – Review
- Paradise Cove Resort – Review
- Poppy’s on the Lagoon Resort – Review
- Ramada Resort Port Vila – Review
- Seachange Lodge – Review
- The Terraces Boutique Apartments – Review
- Tradewinds Villas – Review
- Tropicana Lagoon Resort – Review
- Vila Chaumières – Review