MG Cocomo Resort Vanuatu – Adorable bungalows in a pretty location, but a little out-of-the-way.
Facing a lagoon (which looks remarkably like a river), this attractive and serene resort is only ten minutes by minibus from Port Vila. The extensive gardens with a shady playground, beach volleyball net, and barbecues set the tropical tone and holiday vibe – though the small pool is very popular. Most rooms face the lawns, often closer to the road than the water. The villas and apartments are more likely to offer sea views. Apartments feature corner kitchens, laundry, and substantial patios. The pick of the bunch are the Waterfront Deluxe Spa Villas with water lapping at the wooden decks.
MG Cocomo Resort Vanuatu – The Basics
- Location: Opposite Korman Stadium along Teouma Road. A 10-minute drive east from Port Vila on the main island of Efate and another 10 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: Attracts a few expats on working trips, but mostly caters to families.
- Beach: A surprisingly broad beach for a narrow lagoon, with calm water and plenty of starfish. But note: this is not an ocean beach, with a horizon, waves, and breeze. In fact, it looks exactly like a river, with a mangrove bank 100m across the other side. For a beach experience, day trip (with free transfers) to the sister resort on the remarkable Erakor Island.
- Views: Those near the front directly face the water, while most are distant and overlook the lawns.
- Wi-Fi: Free for guests, but access in accommodations further from the lobby may not be great.
- Parking: Plenty of free and secure places to park.
- Nice Perk: Guests have complimentary access to the facilities at the sister resort on Erakor Island, with free transfers and use of non-motorized water-sports.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (678) 25505
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: mgcocomo.com
MG Cocomo Resort Vanuatu – Amenities
- Pool: Very small and quickly becomes crowded and noisy.
- Spa: No spa, but guests can use the Essence Day Spa at the sister resort on Erakor Island, with transfers included. A great day out to this remarkable place.
- Fitness Center: Not really expected or provided at this sort of resort.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Some villas have spa baths, but none have private pools or jacuzzis. There is a jacuzzi alongside the pool.
- Activities: Free rental of kayaks, fishing rods, and snorkeling gear. Also, beach volleyball and a games room with snooker and ping pong tables.
- For families: Babysitting services. Playground with a trampoline.
MG Cocomo Resort Vanuatu – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: The Beach Bar Café – Casual, with a limited selection of tasty meals, including pasta, curries, and burgers. Faces the river and alongside the pool • Nakamal Restaurant – Really just a barbecue. Guests can use it themselves or arrange for staff to buy and cook the food • The Deck – Attached to the restaurant, with happy hours, movie nights, live music, and often, fire-and-dance shows.
- Breakfast: Buffet continental breakfast included in most rates.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours, as well as intimate dinners on the beach.
MG Cocomo Resort Vanuatu – Rooms
- Room Types: Waterview Resort Room • Waterview Spa Resort Room • Waterview Room with 2 Bedrooms • 2 Bedroom Apartment • Beachview Deluxe Spa Villa • Waterfront Deluxe Spa Villa
- Smoking: Smoking is allowed on the patios/balconies, but not inside the rooms.
- Best Room: The adorable open-plan Waterfront Deluxe Spa Villas front a private (albeit tiny) beach. Attractions include a spa bath, deck above the water, kitchenette, and outdoor shower.
MG Cocomo Resort Vanuatu – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
There are only 2 places within walking distance. Both are less than 500m up the main road away from town:
- Vila Chaumières Restaurant – Much-loved countrywide, if only for the chef who’s been there for over 20 years. The setting above the water is romantic, but prices are European. Try the Coconut Crab or Vanuatu Steak.
- Lagoon Bar & Grill – Perched over the water at the Tropicana Lagoon Resort. Limited menu but tasty food, and the setting is faultless. Lunchtime specials and happy hours offset the high prices.
Alternatively, catch a minibus (10 minutes) to Port Vila and try these places along the more convenient northern end of the main street:
- Jill’s Cafe – Popular, casual, and specializing in Mexican food as well as wraps, salads, and coffee. Great Wi-Fi.
- The Rossi Restaurant – Tasteful and tasty Italian-style bistro, with a garden setting, sea views, and a tiny playground.
- Nambawan Café – Pleasingly cheap considering the perfect waterfront spot. For homemade pies and moonlight movies.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Almost next to the resort, the massive Au Bon Marché supermarket also offers a limited selection of (mostly unhealthy) takeaway food.
Minibuses head along the main road into Port Vila every few seconds. For longer trips, chat to one of the drivers hanging around the Au Bon Marché supermarket about chartering a vehicle.
MG Cocomo Resort Vanuatu – The Hotel
All Vanuatu Hotel Reviews
- Angelfish Cove Villas
- Aquana Beach Resort
- Blue Marlin Lodge
- Breakas Beach Resort
- Chantillys on the Bay
- Coco Beach Resort
- Coconut Palms Resort
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa
- Golden Port Restaurant & Hotel
- Grand Hotel and Casino
- Hideaway Island Resort
- Iririki Island Resort & Spa
- Mangoes Resort
- Moorings Hotel
- Nasama Resort
- Paradise Cove Resort
- Poppy’s on the Lagoon
- Ramada Resort Port Vila
- Seachange Lodge
- The Melanesian Port Vila
- The Terraces Boutique Apartments
- Tradewinds Villas
- Tropicana Lagoon Resort
- Vila Chaumières Restaurant & Resort