Home > Hideaway Island Resort Review
Updated: January 7, 2021
Hideaway Island Resort – Stunning island retreat with beaches and coral.
This private islet, with a spectacular reef just offshore, is barely fifteen minutes from Port Vila. Rocky paths meander around palm, banyan, and acacia trees to the recently-renovated bungalows. All face the ocean, some with direct access to the water’s edge (although not all have a private beach). Others are on two levels, with a swimming pool and jacuzzi. Most are more basic, however (e.g. with a fan only), but still wonderful for families: easily sleeping five, with a spacious living/dining area and an extended wooden deck. Home to the world’s only underwater post office, the reef and marine life are within eyesight of the white sand beach, and the dive shop can organize all sorts of activities. Even if not staying, day passes are available for a reasonable cost.
Hideaway Island Resort – The Basics
- Location: On its own island, about 5 minutes by boat from the mainland terminal at Mele Bay, and another 9 km from Port Vila. A total of 15 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: Caters very well for all ages and budgets. Families especially welcome, and many older guests return year after year.
- Beach: The best beach is near the jetty and bar, but there’s more tiny coral rocks than sand. The calm waters are perfect for swimming and snorkeling, with a world-class reef just offshore.
- Views: All bungalows offer ocean views, while even the very basic beach lodges face the sea with distant views.
- Wi-Fi: Free for all guests in the lobby/bar/restaurant areas. Also, available free for guests in the more expensive bungalows; not so in the other rooms.
- Parking: Arrange with management about parking at the boat terminal at Mele Bay.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (678) 22963
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: hideaway.com.vu
Hideaway Island Resort – Amenities
- Pool: The pool is smallish and could become crowded, but most guests are on the beach.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of small-scale resort.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: A couple of bungalows have private pools (large enough for swimming, not just plunging) and jacuzzis.
- Activities: Scuba diving from the dive center. Free use of snorkeling, kayaking, and paddleboard equipment. Also at no charge: glass-bottom boat trips, village walks on the mainland, and beach movie nights.
- For families: Babysitting available.
Hideaway Island Resort – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: On The Beach Bar & Restaurant is casual but stylish, with stunning views. For pizzas, super-fresh seafood, children’s meals, and themed nights. Popular for coconut curries and happy hours. A lovely bar with a wooden counter.
- Breakfast: An excellent continental buffet breakfast is included in all rates.
- Room Service: Available during restaurants hours – 7 am to 9 pm.
Hideaway Island Resort – Rooms
- Room Types: 1 Bedroom Villa (some with a private pool) • 1 Bedroom Oceanside Bungalow • Twin Share Room (with fan and shared bathroom) • Quad Share Room (dormitories)
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is only allowed in the garden and beach areas.
- Best Room: The 1 Bedroom Villas with a large pool are exceptional. With private access to the sea, they also feature daybeds, corner jacuzzis, and separate upstairs balconies adjoining the bedrooms.
- For families: Some bungalows have connecting doors and can cater for up to 5.
Hideaway Island Resort – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- At the boat terminal on the mainland at Mele Bay is The Beach Bar. Spacious and tropical, it features a lovely stretch of sand, gorgeous views back of the island, and activities for the kids. Also popular for affordable pub meals and pizzas, live music, traditional entertainment, and movie nights.
- Otherwise, charter a minibus from the terminal, or catch a public one along the main road nearby to Tanna Coffee Central, 2 km further up the road away from Port Vila. Turn up for a free tour of the coffee factory and enjoy a light meal (and cuppa) at the attached café.
Nearby Market or Grocery
The shop on the island only sells basic supplies, so come prepared.
There are no vehicles on the island. The departure point at Mele Bay for boats to the island is 9 km from Port Villa and easily accessible by public minibus or taxi. A free boat travels (5 minutes) between the mainland terminal and island as required, 24 hours a day.
Hideaway Island Resort – The Hotel
All Vanuatu Hotel Reviews
- Angelfish Cove Villas
- Aquana Beach Resort
- Blue Marlin Lodge
- Breakas Beach Resort
- Chantillys on the Bay
- Coco Beach Resort
- Coconut Palms Resort
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa
- Golden Port Restaurant & Hotel
- Grand Hotel and Casino
- Iririki Island Resort & Spa
- Mangoes Resort
- MG Cocomo Resort Vanuatu
- Moorings Hotel
- Nasama Resort
- Paradise Cove Resort
- Poppy’s on the Lagoon
- Ramada Resort Port Vila
- Seachange Lodge
- The Melanesian Port Vila
- The Terraces Boutique Apartments
- Tradewinds Villas
- Tropicana Lagoon Resort
- Vila Chaumières Restaurant & Resort