Updated: July 23, 2018
Hideaway Island Resort & Marine Sanctuary – Stunning island retreat of beaches and coral, but not that remote.
This private islet, with a spectacular reef just offshore, is barely 15 minutes from Port Vila. Rocky paths meander around palm, banyan and acacia trees to the recently-renovated bungalows. All face the ocean, some with direct access to the water’s edge (although not all have a private beach). Others are on 2 levels, with a swimming pool and spa bath. Most are more basic, however (e.g. with a fan only), but still wonderful for families: easily sleeping 5, with a spacious lounge/dining area and extended wooden decking. Home to the world’s only underwater post office, the reef and marine life are within eyesight of the white-sand beach, and the dive shop can organise all sorts of activities. Even if not staying, day passes are available for a reasonable cost.
Hideaway Island Resort & Marine Sanctuary – The Basics
- Location: On its own island, about 5 minutes by boat from the mainland terminal at Mele Bay, and another 9km from Port Vila. A total of 15 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: Caters very well for all ages and budgets. Families especially welcome, while many older guests return year after year.
- Beach: The best beach is near the jetty and bar, but there’s more tiny coral rocks than sand. The calm waters are perfect for swimming and snorkelling, with a world-class reef just offshore.
- Views: All bungalows boast ocean views, while even the very basic beach lodges face the sea with distant vistas.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Free for all guests in the lobby/bar/restaurant areas. Also, available free for guests in the more expensive bungalows; not so, in the other rooms.
- Parking: Arrange with management about parking at the boat terminal at Mele Bay.
- Phone: (678) 22963
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: http://hideaway.com.vu/
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Hideaway Island Resort & Marine Sanctuary – Amenities
- Pool: The pool is smallish and could become overcrowded, but most guests are on the beach.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of small-scale resort.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: A couple of bungalows have a private pool (large enough for swimming, not just plunging) and a spa bath.
- Activities: Scuba diving from the dive centre onsite. Free use of snorkelling, kayaking and paddleboard equipment. Also, at no charge: glass-bottom boat trips, village walks on the mainland, and beach movie nights.
- For families: Baby-sitting available.
Hideaway Island Resort & Marine Sanctuary – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: On The Beach Bar & Restaurant is casual but stylish, with stunning views. For pizzas, super-fresh seafood, children’s meals and themed nights. Popular for coconut curries and happy hours. A lovely bar with a wooden counter.
- Breakfast: A great buffet continental breakfast is included in all rates.
- Room Service: Available during restaurants hours of 7am to 9pm.
Hideaway Island Resort & Marine Sanctuary – Rooms
- Room Types: 1 Bedroom Villas (some with a private pool) • 1 Bedroom Oceanside Bungalows • Twin Share Rooms (with fan and shared bathroom) • Quad Share Rooms (dormitories)
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking only allowed in the garden and beach areas.
- Best Room: The 1 Bedroom Villas with a large pool are exceptional. With private access to the sea, they also feature a daybed, corner spa bath and separate upstairs balcony adjoining the bedroom.
- For families: Some bungalows have connecting doors, and can cater for up to 5.
Hideaway Island Resort & Marine Sanctuary – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- At the boat terminal on the mainland at Mele Bay is The Beach Bar. Spacious and tropical, it features a lovely stretch of sand, gorgeous views back to the island, and activities for the kids. Also popular for affordable pub meals and pizzas, and live music, traditional entertainment and movie nights. 1-minute walk.
- Otherwise, charter a minibus from the terminal, or catch a public one along the main road nearby, to Tanna Coffee Central, 2km further up the road away from Port Vila. Turn up for a free tour of the coffee factory, and enjoy a light meal (and cuppa) at the attached café. 3-minute drive.
- Market or Grocery: The shop on the island only sells basic supplies, so come prepared.
There are no vehicles on the island. The departure point at Mele Bay for boats to the island is 9km from Port Villa, and easily accessible by public minibus or taxi. A free boat travels (5 minutes) between the mainland terminal and island as required, 24 hours a day.
Hideaway Island Resort & Marine Sanctuary – The Hotel
- Best Hotels in Vanuatu
- Best Family Hotels in Vanuatu
- Angelfish Cove Villas – Review
- Aquana Beach Resort – Review
- Blue Marlin Lodge – Review
- Breakas Beach Resort – Review
- Chantilly’s on the Bay
- CoCo Beach Resort – Review
- Cocomo Resort & Apartments – Review
- Coconut Palms Resort – Review
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa – Review
- Golden Port Hotel – Review
- Grand Hotel and Casino – Review
- Iririki Island Resort & Spa Vanuatu – Review
- Mangoes Resort – Review
- The Melanesian Port Vila – Review
- Moorings Hotel – Review
- Nasama Resort – Review
- Paradise Cove Resort – Review
- Poppy’s on the Lagoon Resort – Review
- Ramada Resort Port Vila – Review
- Seachange Lodge – Review
- The Terraces Boutique Apartments – Review
- Tradewinds Villas – Review
- Tropicana Lagoon Resort – Review
- Vila Chaumières – Review