Moorings Hotel – Affordable, waterfront, and edge-of-town setting.
First, the good news: Moorings is considerably cheaper than other hotels nearby, and the location – facing the harbor and within a ten-minute stroll of downtown – is excellent. But the rooms are small, with barely enough space for two people and their luggage, so perhaps, more suitable for solo travelers. They are, however, modern and comfortable, with louver windows catching the breeze. Choose the ones facing the pool or better, the sea, because those alongside the corridors would be noisy. Pluses include a convivial bar, with a library, barbecue, and movie nights, and free hire of kayaks and snorkeling gear. A delightful seaside path heads to the town center, and the country’s only mall, with a cinema and classy boutiques, is close by.
Moorings Hotel – The Basics
- Location: Along Kumul (aka Lini) Highway, the major road through Port Vila on the main island of Efate. About 1.5 km north of the town center and only 10 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: Caters to anyone, perhaps with a focus on business people. The undersized rooms make it most suitable, however, for solo travelers.
- Beach: There is a sliver of sand at the Banyan Beach Bar next door. Better still, catch a minibus along Pango Road and get off around the Breakas Beach Resort about 7 km south along the peninsula.
- Views: A few rooms face the sea, but most overlook the pool, while others are alongside noisy corridors.
- Wi-Fi: Free for guests in the lobby/bar/restaurant areas, but not available in the rooms.
- Parking: There are probably just enough free and secure places at the lobby.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (678) 26800
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: mooringsvanuatu.com
Moorings Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: The pool is a decent size, facing the sea and alongside one block of rooms.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of low-key resort.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Moorings Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The narrow block ensures that the Moorings Bar & Grill doesn’t overlook the water, but the menu is surprisingly diverse. With daily specials offered, it’s also ideal for trying some traditional food. The extra-long bar offers happy hours and a variety of drinks, and there’s a snooker table and dartboard.
- Breakfast: All rates include a simple continental buffet breakfast.
- Room Service: Available during restaurant hours – 7 am to 9 pm.
Moorings Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Standard King Room • Poolside King Room • Family Room • Harbourside King Room
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed in the rooms or public areas. With no gardens or beach, it’s best to walk out to the road.
- Best Room: The Harbourside King Rooms would be renamed ‘Seaview Deluxe Bungalows’ elsewhere and cost twice as much. Directly facing the sea only meters away, with sunset views from private balconies, those on the second (top) floor are better.
Moorings Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Tilly’s Restaurant – Chic bistro offering superb harbor views. Focuses on fresh local produce and offers an extensive wine list. In Chantilly’s hotel, virtually next to Moorings.
- Banyan Beach Bar – Next to Chantilly’s. Fronting a small rocky beach with an adorable wooden bar, sofas on the sand, abundant shade, and a playground. Snacks available. DJs late into the night on weekends.
- The Lookout – Just up the hill, for a garden setting, divine views, and French cuisine. And, um, lookout for daily specials.
- Au Faré – Harbor-side French restaurant, popular for seafood platters and cocktails. Attached is the Pizza Hot pizzeria, with takeaway, happy hours, and entertainment on weekends. Just north of Moorings.
- Reefers Restaurant and Rum Bar – Next to Au Faré, a long-established expat hangout for cold beers and tall stories. Go for burgers, seafood platters, and salads. Romantic tables available.
- The Office Pub & Flaming Bull Restaurant – Street-side hub for gossip and grills. Affordable and friendly, with lively happy hours and trendy DJs on weekends. 500m south towards town.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Tana Russet Plaza – Vanuatu’s version of a mall is just 200m up the road. With boutiques, travel agencies, a supermarket, and a cinema.
Along the main road just outside the hotel entrance, minibuses hurtle into Port Vila and beyond every few seconds.
Moorings Hotel – What’s Nearby?
All Vanuatu Hotel Reviews
- Angelfish Cove Villas
- Aquana Beach Resort
- Blue Marlin Lodge
- Breakas Beach Resort
- Chantillys on the Bay
- Coco Beach Resort
- Coconut Palms Resort
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa
- Golden Port Restaurant & Hotel
- Grand Hotel and Casino
- Hideaway Island Resort
- Iririki Island Resort & Spa
- Mangoes Resort
- MG Cocomo Resort Vanuatu
- Nasama Resort
- Paradise Cove Resort
- Poppy’s on the Lagoon
- Ramada Resort Port Vila
- Seachange Lodge
- The Melanesian Port Vila
- The Terraces Boutique Apartments
- Tradewinds Villas
- Tropicana Lagoon Resort
- Vila Chaumières Restaurant & Resort