Updated: July 25, 2018
Moorings Hotel – Affordable, waterfront and edge-of-town setting, but severely undersized rooms.
First, the good news: Moorings is considerably cheaper than others nearby, and the location – facing the harbour, and within a 10-minute stroll of downtown – is excellent. But the rooms are way too small, with barely space for 2 people and their luggage, so perhaps, more suitable for solo travellers. They are however, modern and comfortable, with louver windows catching the breezes, but choose 1 facing the pool or better, the sea, because those alongside the corridors would be noisy. Pluses include a convivial bar, with a library, barbeque and movie nights, and free hire of kayak and snorkeling gear. A delightful seaside path heads to the town centre, while the country’s only mall, with a cinema and classy boutiques, is close by.
Moorings Hotel – The Basics
- Location: Along Kumul (aka Lini) Highway, the major road through Port Vila on the main island of Efate. About 1.3km north of the town centre and only 10 minutes from the airport.
- Guests: Caters for anyone, perhaps with a focus on business people. The undersized rooms make it most suitable, however, for solo travellers.
- Beach: There is a sliver of sand at the Banyan Beach Bar, next door. Better still, catch a minibus along Pango Road, and get off around the Breakas Beach Resort about 6.5km south along the peninsula.
- Views: A few rooms face the sea, but most overlook the pool, while others front, or back onto, noisy corridors.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Free for guests in the lobby/bar/restaurant areas, but not available in the rooms.
- Parking: There are probably just enough free and secure places at the lobby.
- Phone: (678) 26800
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: https://www.mooringsvanuatu.com/en/
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Moorings Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: The pool is a decent size, facing the sea and alongside one block of rooms.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of low-key resort.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Moorings Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The narrow block ensures that the Moorings Bar & Grill doesn’t overlook the water, but the menu is surprisingly diverse. With daily specials offered, it’s also ideal for trying some traditional food. The extra-long bar offers happy hours and a variety of drinks, and there’s a snooker table and dartboard.
- Breakfast: All rates include a simple continental buffet breakfast.
- Room Service: Available during restaurant hours of about 7am to 9pm.
Moorings Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Standard King Rooms • Poolside King Rooms • Family Rooms • Harbourside King Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed in the rooms or public areas. With no gardens or beach, it’s best to walk out to the road.
- Best Room: The Harbourside King Rooms would be renamed ‘Seaview Deluxe Bungalows’ elsewhere and cost twice as much. Directly facing the sea only metres away, with sunset views from a private balcony, those on the second (top) floor are better.
Moorings Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Tilly’s Restaurant – chic bistro offering superb harbour views. Focuses on fresh local produce and offers an extensive wine list. In Chantilly’s hotel, virtually next to Moorings. 1-minute walk.
- Banyan Beach Bar (27079) – next to Chantilly’s. Fronting a small rocky beach, with an adorable wooden bar, sofas on the sand, abundant shade, and playground. Snacks available. DJs late into the night on weekends. 1-minute walk.
- The Lookout – just up the hill, for garden setting, divine views and French cuisine. And, um, lookout for daily specials. 1-minute walk.
- Au Faré – harbour-side French restaurant, popular for seafood platters and cocktails. Attached is the Pizza Hot pizzeria (25580), with takeaway, happy hours and entertainment on weekends. Just north of Moorings. 1-minute walk.
- Reefers Restaurant and Rum Bar – next to Au Faré, a long-established expat hangout for cold beers and tall stories. Go for burgers, seafood platters and salads. Romantic tables available. 2-minute walk.
- The Office Pub & Flaming Bull Restaurant (27716) – street-side hub for gossip and grills. Affordable and friendly, with lively happy hours and trendy DJs on weekends. 500m south towards town. 6-minute walk.
- Market or Grocery: Tana Russet Plaza – Vanuatu’s version of a mall – is just 200m up the road. With boutiques, travel agencies, a supermarket and cinema.
Along the main road just outside the hotel entrance, minibuses hurtle into Port Vila and beyond every few seconds.
Moorings Hotel – What’s Nearby?
- Best Hotels in Vanuatu
- Best Family Hotels in Vanuatu
- Angelfish Cove Villas – Review
- Aquana Beach Resort – Review
- Blue Marlin Lodge – Review
- Breakas Beach Resort – Review
- Chantilly’s on the Bay
- CoCo Beach Resort – Review
- Cocomo Resort & Apartments – Review
- Coconut Palms Resort – Review
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa – Review
- Golden Port Hotel – Review
- Grand Hotel and Casino – Review
- Hideaway Island Resort & Marine Sanctuary – Review
- Iririki Island Resort & Spa Vanuatu – Review
- Mangoes Resort – Review
- The Melanesian Port Vila – Review
- Nasama Resort – Review
- Paradise Cove Resort – Review
- Poppy’s on the Lagoon Resort – Review
- Ramada Resort Port Vila – Review
- Seachange Lodge – Review
- The Terraces Boutique Apartments – Review
- Tradewinds Villas – Review
- Tropicana Lagoon Resort – Review
- Vila Chaumières – Review