Poppy’s on the Lagoon – Tranquil, stylish, and water’s-edge, with a rare beach.
Claiming prime position between a suburban street and Erakor Lagoon, the tropical setting of this boutique resort is instantly appealing. Offering a huge array of accommodations, it seems unofficially split into two sections. Most families stay in the bungalows and apartments clustered tightly together around the main pool, which is surprisingly small. They are all spacious inside, with kitchenettes and substantial patios/balconies, though not all have air-conditioning. Spread further up the hill, the villas and suites offer better views (which could be blocked by trees) and proximity to the adult’s-only pool. Almost unique in the region is the sizable beach.
Poppy’s on the Lagoon – The Basics
- Location: On the other (eastern) side of the peninsula from Port Vila, in the suburb of Seaside on the main island of Efate. About 100m down a lane off Captain Cook Avenue. A 20-minute walk from downtown Port Vila and a 20-minute drive from the airport.
- Guests: Caters very well to families, as well as to adults without children.
- Beach: Remarkably, there is a beach which is small but clean and shady. It faces a lagoon, which is nothing like those in Fiji or Tahiti. In fact, the water resembles a river, with mangrove banks 200m away.
- Views: Only those up the hill could offer possible water views, which may still be partially blocked by trees, while most alongside the lagoon don’t directly face the water.
- Wi-Fi: Free around the restaurant/pool areas, but a considerable cost for use in the rooms.
- Parking: Probably enough spaces at the street-side lobby area.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (678) 23425
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: poppys.com.vu
Poppy’s on the Lagoon – Amenities
- Pool: 2 pools: 1 for adults and 1 for families, each admirably distant from the other.
- Spa: The modest but impressive spa offers the usual massages and other treatments.
- Fitness Center: None.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None have private pools, but some bungalows have jacuzzis.
- Activities: Free hire of kayaks and snorkeling gear. Also activities for families, including art classes and canoe trips.
Poppy’s on the Lagoon – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The Leaf Restaurant is renowned across the island for western favorites like banana pancakes, and is a great place to try traditional food. The menu is a little limited, but the themed buffet nights are certainly worthwhile.
- Breakfast: Rates include a continental buffet breakfast.
- Room Service: Available during restaurants hours – 8 am and 8 pm.
Poppy’s on the Lagoon – Rooms
- Room Types: Lagoon View Studio • Beachfront Spa Bungalow • Garden View Bungalow • 2 Bedroom Lagoon Suite • 3 Bedroom Beachfront Villa • 3 Bedroom Lagoon View Apartment
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is not allowed in or anywhere near the rooms or public areas.
- Best Room: Families would probably veer towards accommodations with 2 or 3 bedrooms. Otherwise, the best would be the adults-only and well-named Beachfront Spa Bungalows. With a kitchenette, air-conditioning, jacuzzi, and balcony offering stunning views of the sea, which is almost within touching distance.
- For families: Most of the accommodations have 2 or 3 bedrooms, and all are equipped with kitchenettes.
Poppy’s on the Lagoon – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Retreat Seaside Resort – Low-key expat hangout, with pub meals, daily specials, and happy hours. About 300m down Captain Cook Avenue.
- Navara Restaurant – Wide range of meals, including steaks, lobster, and pasta. Try the Vanuatu Tapas. In the Coconut Palms Resort about 500m northwest up Rue Cornwell street.
- Mangoes Restaurant – Enchanting colonial-style layout. Popular for organic ingredients and the changing menu. Hard to ignore the seafood platter or prawn curry. At Mangoes Resort, 750m up Captain Cook Avenue.
- Ristorante Casa Mia – Classy Italian bistro with barbecues and buffets featuring entertainment. At The Melanesian, down Captain Cook Avenue and west along Rue de Picardi street – about 1 km.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Minimarts are dotted along the main road, Rue Dartois, about 500m to the west towards Port Vila.
Plenty of public minibuses pass by along Captain Cook Avenue towards Port Vila. Hail one down at top of the lane to Poppy’s.
Poppy’s on the Lagoon – What’s Nearby?
All Vanuatu Hotel Reviews
- Angelfish Cove Villas
- Aquana Beach Resort
- Blue Marlin Lodge
- Breakas Beach Resort
- Chantillys on the Bay
- Coco Beach Resort
- Coconut Palms Resort
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa
- Golden Port Restaurant & Hotel
- Grand Hotel and Casino
- Hideaway Island Resort
- Iririki Island Resort & Spa
- Mangoes Resort
- MG Cocomo Resort Vanuatu
- Moorings Hotel
- Nasama Resort
- Paradise Cove Resort
- Ramada Resort Port Vila
- Seachange Lodge
- The Melanesian Port Vila
- The Terraces Boutique Apartments
- Tradewinds Villas
- Tropicana Lagoon Resort
- Vila Chaumières Restaurant & Resort