Tropicana Lagoon Resort – Cozy, popular, self-catering, and beachfront.
Along a stretch of the Second Lagoon (which resembles a river), the Tropicana is a likable midrange resort with self-contained villas and apartments in two-level blocks facing the water and/or pool. The apartments with one bedroom are compact, functional, and motel-style. Those with two bedrooms are more spacious, and the villas feature plunge pools. The décor throughout all accommodations is ‘woody’: the floors, benches, sofas, and bed-stands are all crafted from different grains of wood. The prime selling points are the affordable rates, delightful location, kitchenettes, and rare beach (which is artificial and raised, with sand not actually sloping into the water). It feels isolated, but in a good way, yet is only five minutes by minibus from downtown Port Vila.
Tropicana Lagoon Resort – The Basics
- Location: At the end of a 200m lane, starting almost opposite the Korman Stadium on Teouma Road, the main road heading east from Port Vila on the main island of Efate. About 4 km from the center of the capital and 8 km from the airport.
- Guests: Most seem to be younger, with more of a party vibe around the resort than a family ambience.
- Beach: The beach is artificial, not the sort that merges into the water. Although still tidal, the lagoon looks exactly like a river, with a bank of mangroves barely 100m across the water. The setting is more about views than swimming or snorkeling.
- Views: Half the rooms face the water, sometimes only 10m away, while others overlook the pool. Those on the upper floors would have better views, of course.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout for all guests, although access may be less reliable in rooms further from the lobby.
- Parking: Only a couple of parking sports at the reception area.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (678) 555 2223
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: tropicanalagoon.com
Tropicana Lagoon Resort – Amenities
- Pool: Between a block of rooms and the restaurant/bar, the pool could become easily crowded and noisy.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of midrange resort.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Each of the 4 villas features a private plunge pool.
- Activities: Free use of kayaks and snorkeling gear.
Tropicana Lagoon Resort – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The adorable Lagoon Bar & Grill is perched above the water. The menu is limited, but the setting is superb and the food tasty. Great for seafood and locally-raised beef. Lunchtime specials and happy hours help offset the reasonably high prices.
- Breakfast: Breakfast is not included because guests are expected to use their kitchens. However, it is available for an extra cost at the restaurant.
- Room Service: Available during restaurant hours – 7.30 am to 8 pm.
Tropicana Lagoon Resort – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Villa • Deluxe Beach Front Apartment (with 1 or 2 bedrooms)
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms, like most other resorts, but permitted around the pool and gardens.
- Best Room: The Deluxe Beach Front Apartments (with 1 or 2 bedrooms) feature a colorful tropical décor and well-equipped kitchens. Those located on the top (second) floor have broad balconies offering optimum views, while the ones at ground level have direct beach access.
Tropicana Lagoon Resort – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
The choice within walking distance along the main road is limited to 2 places:
- Vila Chaumières Restaurant – Much-loved island-wide, if only for the chef who’s been there over 20 years. The setting over the water is romantic, but prices are European. Virtually next door in the Vila Chaumières Resort.
- The Beach Bar Café – In the MG Cocomo Resort, 500m towards town. A limited selection, including pasta, curries, and burgers. The Deck bar offers happy hours, movie nights, and live music/entertainment.
Otherwise, catch a minibus to Port Vila, and try these places along the more convenient northern end of the main street:
- Jill’s Cafe – Popular and casual. Specializing in Mexican food, but also great for wraps, salads, coffee, and Wi-Fi.
- The Rossi Restaurant – Stylish bistro with Italian cuisine, garden setting, sea views, and tiny playground. At the northern end of the seaside path.
- Nambawan Café – Perfect waterfront spot near the market. For affordable juices, baguettes, pies, and pizzas. Also, moonlight movies.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- About 600m along the main road towards town, the huge Au Bon Marché supermarket also offers a limited range of takeaway food.
Plenty of public minibuses hurtle along the main road outside and head into Port Vila. To charter minibuses to anywhere further, talk to the drivers who hang around the Au Bon Marché supermarket.
Tropicana Lagoon Resort – The Hotel
All Vanuatu Hotel Reviews
- Angelfish Cove Villas
- Aquana Beach Resort
- Blue Marlin Lodge
- Breakas Beach Resort
- Chantillys on the Bay
- Coco Beach Resort
- Coconut Palms Resort
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa
- Golden Port Restaurant & Hotel
- Grand Hotel and Casino
- Hideaway Island Resort
- Iririki Island Resort & Spa
- Mangoes Resort
- MG Cocomo Resort Vanuatu
- Moorings Hotel
- Nasama Resort
- Paradise Cove Resort
- Poppy’s on the Lagoon
- Ramada Resort Port Vila
- Seachange Lodge
- The Melanesian Port Vila
- The Terraces Boutique Apartments
- Tradewinds Villas
- Vila Chaumières Restaurant & Resort