Updated: July 29, 2018
Vila Chaumières – Charming, refined, with lush gardens and lagoon setting – but adults only.
Run by a New Zealand couple living onsite, this petite resort faces the Second Lagoon (which looks exactly like a river). The 3 thatched-roof bungalows are delightfully hidden behind tropical plants, offering seclusion and tranquillity. Simply furnished, and not particularly Melanesian in décor, they are still spacious and very comfortable. The 2 apartments are above the main building, with the bar, restaurant and reception, which can all be noisy at times, but the wide balconies offer wicker chairs, welcome breezes and lagoon views. This place is about relaxation, so it’s adults-only and TV-free. The only downside is the isolation, with very little nearby, but public transport to Port Vila is quick and frequent.
Vila Chaumières– The Basics
- Location: Along Teouma Road, the major road heading east from Port Vila, on the main island of Efate. Almost opposite the Korman Stadium, about 4km from downtown and 8km from the airport.
- Guests: Strictly adults only, so no children allowed. And most guests are probably older.
- Beach: It faces a lagoon, but there is no sand in front – only mangroves and rocks. There is a pleasant but small and artificial beach at the Tropicana Resort next door, which is available to anyone using their bar or restaurant.
- Views: Bungalows face the gardens and apartments overlook the lagoon, but views are mostly blocked by trees.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Free for guests in the lobby/bar/restaurant area. The apartments are within range, but management has future plans to ensure that Wi-Fi also extends to the bungalows.
- Parking: A handful of free and secure spots at the entrance along the main road, some 200m from the lobby.
- Nice Perks: Honeymooners receive a bottle of wine on arrival.
- Phone: (678) 22 866
- Email: bookin[email protected]
- Website: https://www.vilachaumieres.com/
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Vila Chaumières – Amenities
- Pool: The pool is adequate considering the limited number of guests, but seems lost among the gardens and is rarely used.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of small resort.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
- Activities: Gear for snorkelling, kayaking and paddle-boarding available for hire.
Vila Chaumières – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The Vila Chaumières restaurant is renowned countrywide, with a chef who’s been there over 20 years. The setting perched over the water is romantic, and the cuisine mostly French, but with the sort of prices almost expected in Paris. Try the coconut crab or organic Vanuatu beef. Vegetarian meals also available.
- Breakfast: Includes a decent ‘tropical’ (continental) breakfast at the lovely over-the-water restaurant.
- Room Service: Available during restaurant hours, i.e. 12-2.30pm and 6-9pm.
Vila Chaumières – Rooms
- Room Types: 2 Lagoon View Apartments above the main building • 3 Garden Bungalows in the garden
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking not permitted inside the buildings, but is allowed elsewhere (including the balconies/verandas).
- Best Room: The Lagoon View Apartments above the restaurant can be noisy, but they’re otherwise charming, with views down the length of the lagoon from the broad balcony packed with outdoor furniture.
Vila Chaumières – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
The choice within walking distance along the main road is limited to 2 places:
- Lagoon Bar & Grill – perched above the water at the Tropicana Resort next door. The menu is limited, but the setting superb. Great for seafood and locally-raised beef. 1-minute walk.
- The Beach Bar Café – in the Cocomo Resort, 350m towards town. The limited selection includes pasta, curries and burgers, while The Deck bar offers happy hours, movie nights and live music/entertainment. 4-minute walk.
Otherwise, catch a minibus to Port Vila. These places are along the more convenient northern end of the main street:
- The Rossi Restaurant (29661) – stylish bistro overlooking a garden and facing the harbour, with a tiny playground. Focuses on Italian fare. At the northern end of the seaside path. 10-minute drive.
- Banyan Beach Bar (27079) – casual bar/café with likeable wooden counters, plush sofas on the sand, abundant shade and a playground. Small but rocky beach. Trendy DJs on weekends. 10-minute drive.
- Nambawan Café – perfect waterfront position, near the market. For juices, baguettes and pizzas at reasonable prices. Packed out for movies some evenings. 11-minute drive.
- Market or Grocery: About 500m along the main road towards town, the huge Au Bon Marché supermarket also offers a limited selection of takeaway food.
Plenty of public minibuses hurtle along the main road to Port Vila. To charter 1 anywhere further, negotiate with drivers who hang around the Au Bon Marché supermarket.
Vila Chaumières – The Hotel
- Best Hotels in Vanuatu
- Best Family Hotels in Vanuatu
- Angelfish Cove Villas – Review
- Aquana Beach Resort – Review
- Blue Marlin Lodge – Review
- Breakas Beach Resort – Review
- Chantilly’s on the Bay
- CoCo Beach Resort – Review
- Cocomo Resort & Apartments – Review
- Coconut Palms Resort – Review
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa – Review
- Golden Port Hotel – Review
- Grand Hotel and Casino – Review
- Hideaway Island Resort & Marine Sanctuary – Review
- Iririki Island Resort & Spa Vanuatu – Review
- Mangoes Resort – Review
- The Melanesian Port Vila – Review
- Moorings Hotel – Review
- Nasama Resort – Review
- Paradise Cove Resort – Review
- Poppy’s on the Lagoon Resort – Review
- Ramada Resort Port Vila – Review
- Seachange Lodge – Review
- The Terraces Boutique Apartments – Review
- Tradewinds Villas – Review
- Tropicana Lagoon Resort – Review