Vila Chaumières Restaurant & Resort – Charming and refined, with lush gardens and a lagoon setting.
Run by a New Zealand couple living on-site, this petite adults-only resort faces the Second Lagoon (which looks exactly like a river). The three thatched-roof bungalows are delightfully hidden behind tropical plants, offering seclusion and tranquility. Simply furnished and not particularly Melanesian in décor, they are still spacious and very comfortable. The two apartments are above the main building with the bar, restaurant, and reception, which can all be noisy at times, though the wide balconies offer wicker chairs, a welcome breeze, and lagoon views. This place is about relaxation, so it’s adults-only and TV-free. The only downside is the isolation, with very little nearby, but public transport to Port Vila is quick and frequent.
Vila Chaumières Restaurant & Resort – The Basics
- Location: Along Teouma Road, the major road heading east from Port Vila, on the main island of Efate. Almost opposite the Korman Stadium, about 4 km from downtown and 8 km from the airport.
- Guests: Strictly adults only, so no children allowed. And most guests are probably older.
- Beach: It faces a lagoon, but there is no sand in front – only mangroves and rocks. There is a pleasant but small and artificial beach at the Tropicana Resort next door, which is available to anyone using their bar or restaurant.
- Views: Bungalows face the gardens and apartments overlook the lagoon, but views are mostly blocked by trees.
- Wi-Fi: Free for guests in the lobby/bar/restaurant area. The apartments are within range, but management has future plans to ensure that Wi-Fi also extends to the bungalows.
- Parking: A handful of free and secure spots at the entrance along the main road, some 200m from the lobby.
- Nice Perks: Honeymooners receive a bottle of wine on arrival.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (678) 22 866
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: Facebook
Vila Chaumières Restaurant & Resort – Amenities
- Pool: The pool is adequate considering the limited number of guests, but seems lost among the gardens and is rarely used.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of small resort.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
- Activities: Gear for snorkeling, kayaking, and paddleboarding available for hire.
Vila Chaumières Restaurant & Resort – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The Vila Chaumières restaurant is renowned countrywide, with a chef who’s been there over for 20 years. The setting perched over the water is romantic and the cuisine mostly French, but with the sort of prices almost expected in Paris. Try the coconut crab or organic Vanuatu beef. Vegetarian meals also available.
- Breakfast: Includes a decent ‘tropical’ (continental) breakfast at the lovely over-the-water restaurant.
- Room Service: Available during restaurant hours – 12-2.30 pm and 6-9 pm.
Vila Chaumières Restaurant & Resort – Rooms
- Room Types: 2 Lagoon View Apartments above the main building • 3 Garden Bungalows in the garden
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is not permitted inside the buildings, but is allowed elsewhere (including the balconies/patios).
- Best Room: The Lagoon View Apartments above the restaurant can be noisy, but they’re otherwise charming, with views down the length of the lagoon from the broad balconies packed with outdoor furniture.
Vila Chaumières Restaurant & Resort – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
The choice within walking distance along the main road is limited to 2 places:
- Lagoon Bar & Grill – Perched above the water at the Tropicana Resort next door. The menu is limited but the setting is superb. Great for seafood and locally-raised beef.
- The Beach Bar Café – In the MG Cocomo Resort, 350m towards town. The limited selection includes pasta, curries, and burgers. The Deck bar offers happy hours, movie nights, and live music/entertainment.
Otherwise, catch a minibus to Port Vila. These places are along the more convenient northern end of the main street:
- The Rossi Restaurant – Stylish bistro overlooking a garden and facing the harbor, with a tiny playground. Focuses on Italian fare. At the northern end of the seaside path.
- Banyan Beach Bar – Casual bar/café with likable wooden counters, plush sofas on the sand, abundant shade, and a playground. Small but rocky beach. Trendy DJs on weekends.
- Nambawan Café – Perfect waterfront position near the market. For juices, baguettes, and pizzas at reasonable prices. Packed out for movies on some evenings.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- About 500m along the main road towards town, the huge Au Bon Marché supermarket also offers a limited selection of takeaway food.
Plenty of public minibuses hurtle along the main road to Port Vila. To charter one anywhere further, negotiate with drivers who hang around the Au Bon Marché supermarket.
Vila Chaumières Restaurant & Resort – The Hotel
All Vanuatu Hotel Reviews
- Angelfish Cove Villas
- Aquana Beach Resort
- Blue Marlin Lodge
- Breakas Beach Resort
- Chantillys on the Bay
- Coco Beach Resort
- Coconut Palms Resort
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa
- Golden Port Restaurant & Hotel
- Grand Hotel and Casino
- Hideaway Island Resort
- Iririki Island Resort & Spa
- Mangoes Resort
- MG Cocomo Resort Vanuatu
- Moorings Hotel
- Nasama Resort
- Paradise Cove Resort
- Poppy’s on the Lagoon
- Ramada Resort Port Vila
- Seachange Lodge
- The Melanesian Port Vila
- The Terraces Boutique Apartments
- Tradewinds Villas
- Tropicana Lagoon Resort