Viceroy – Romantic, award-winning boutique resort in a pristine tropical setting.
This very sophisticated resort offers truly personalized service, with the owners living on-site and their children helping to run it. Villas (with one or two bedrooms) are perched along a hillside and offer uninterrupted views of the rice fields and valley. The very spacious and airy villas feature a subtle Balinese design and décor, and luxuries like private pools, marble bathrooms, and espresso machines. The main infinity pool seems to blend into the valley facing it, while the spa and elegant bistro, with home-grown ingredients from their own greenhouse, also share the same extraordinary views. The Viceroy is isolated, however, with no shops or cafés within walking distance, but is only a short ride from Ubud via the free resort shuttle bus.
- Best Hotels in Bali
- Best Bali Hotels for Families
- Best Budget Hotels in Bali
- Where to Stay in Bali
- Bali Hotel Map
Viceroy – The Location
- Area: Facing a valley amidst an untouched forest. The few facilities along the main road, 500m from the resort, are more suited to locals rather than tourists.
- Address: Jl. Lanyahan, Br. Nagi, Ubud. Along an access lane, about 500m from the main road (Jalan Raya Andong), which extends northeast of Ubud, the most popular tourist region in central Bali. About 3 km northeast of central Ubud.
- How to Get There: Best to arrange an airport pickup with the hotel, which is about 1.5 hours (40 km) away, depending on traffic. See other options under “Local Transport” below.
- Handy to: Birdwatching at Petulu village.
Viceroy – The Basics
- Guests: Almost all guests are couples, with a definite focus on honeymooners.
- Views: Some suites/villas face private gardens, while most overlook the valley and pristine forest opposite.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Every type of accommodation features a private pool, which is sizeable and more than just a plunge pool. Some are even heated because it can get surprisingly cool in hilly parts of Ubud.
- Extras: Free shuttle bus service to downtown Ubud.
- Parking: Enough free and secure parking spots at the reception, but think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +62 (0)361 971 777
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: viceroybali.com
Viceroy – Amenities
- Pool: The extraordinary pool faces the undeveloped valley and features infinity edges that somehow blend into the forest all around. Also, luxurious gazebos and a swim-up bar.
- Spa: One of the premier settings on Bali facing the valley, Lembah Spa provides a unique combination of traditional treatments and modern techniques.
- Fitness Center: Very good size considering the limited number of guests.
- Activities: Yoga. Cooking classes. Tours of the region by foot or bicycle. Lessons in Balinese culture.
- Other Facilities: Boutique. Library.
Viceroy – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Many ingredients are grown organically within the glasshouse near the pool. CasCades Restaurant – Exquisite position facing the valley. World-class cuisine, very romantic at night, and degustation menus available. The attached Viceroy Bar shares the same wonderful views and provides a vast selection of wines, cocktails, and liquor, best enjoyed with live piano music. • Apéritif – Opened in mid-2018 and aiming to feature among the world’s Top 50. Probably Bali’s greatest wine list, and décor that must be seen to be believed; even the bathrooms seem to be from a Great Gatsby movie.
- Breakfast: Included in all rates.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Viceroy – Rooms
- Room Types: Pool Suite • Terrace Pool Villa • Deluxe Terrace Pool Villa • Vice Regal Pool Villa • Viceroy Pool Villa • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Strict no-smoking policy. Check with reception before lighting up.
- Best Room: All are truly gorgeous, so it’s almost impossible to define the ‘best’. The signature Viceroy Pool Villas are truly presidential: sumptuous, with 2 bedrooms and marble bathrooms, living/dining areas, and extended heated pools.
- For Families: Some villas have 2 bedrooms, with separate open-air living/dining areas. And some with 1 bedroom have connecting doors.
Viceroy – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: Some pleasant strolls among rice fields just up the street, but too far for anything else on foot. The roads are too steep, narrow, and potholed for cycling. Ask the hotel about bike rentals.
- Public Transport: There is no reliable public transport anywhere in or around Ubud.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: Car rental can be arranged at the hotel, but driving anywhere in Bali is not recommended. Motorbikes are easy to rent and popular for visiting local attractions without the traffic of southern Bali. Metered taxis from southern Bali can drop passengers off in Ubud but are forbidden to operate here. So the best (and really, only) option for day trips is to charter a car with a driver through the hotel.
- Shuttle Bus: For towns popular with tourists (e.g. Kuta and Lovina), shuttle buses are comfortable and cheap, if a little overcrowded at times. Local operators, including the major island-wide company, Perama, will pick up (but not drop off) guests from hotels, but they probably won’t come out this far, so get a transfer with the hotel to/from Ubud. The Kura-Kura Bus company links Ubud with southern Bali, but schedules are convoluted and routes, confusing.
Viceroy – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- The only places within walking distances are in the neighboring Kamandalu hotel, 350m down towards the main road. Includes Alun-Alun, which is particularly romantic and specializes in 6-course menus, but is only open for dinner.
Otherwise, hop on a hotel shuttle bus and head into Ubud and try the following:
- Bebek Bengil Dirty Duck Diner – Local institution serving crispy duck in a dazzling garden setting in the middle of downtown.
- Ibu Oka – Offers almost nothing but babi guling (roast pig), a Balinese specialty. The outlet along Jalan Suweta is more spacious, and guests can peek into the kitchen (animal lovers beware).
- Murni’s Warung – On 4 levels, facing a river and ravine. Local favorite since 1974 for Indonesian, Thai, and French food. Art shop inside.
- Bridges Bali – Super-swish and award-winning, with an extensive wine list, live music, valley views, and 5-star service.
- A very basic grocery shop along the access road to the hotel, and better stocked minimarts along the main road 500m from the hotel. Otherwise, get a hotel shuttle bus to Monkey Forest or Hanoman streets, or the produce and art markets.
- Petulu – About 2.5 km up the main road (ask for exact directions at the turn-off to the village). For reasons no one understands, hundreds of white herons and egrets have been flocking for decades to trees in this village only, arriving en masse from about 4 pm daily. It’s a remarkable sight, best enjoyed from a low-key café among the rice fields.