by Santorini Dave • Updated: May 16, 2019
See Also: The Best Hotels in Bali
W Bali – Seminyak – Luxury and modernity, without pretentiousness.
In a colossal property in north-most Seminyak that’s still accessible from a main road, this resort is ultra-modern, airy, and welcoming, without feeling trendy or pompous like others. Rooms are in a building facing the sea, while the opulent villas – given monikers like ‘WOW’ and ‘Extreme’ – sacrifice views for seclusion with their high walls and dense foliage also offering privacy. Villas feature huge pools, dazzling open-air lounge/dining areas, elongated sofas, and even longer desks. The split-level, beachfront infinity pool is massive enough to feature ‘beaches’, ‘waterfalls’, and ‘islands’ with palm trees. Avoid the walk or buggy ride to the main roadside entrance, and instead enjoy the beachside cafés at neighboring Batu Belig Beach.
W Bali – Seminyak – The Location
- Address: About 500m from the main road, Jalan Petitenget Kerobokan, in the far northern end of Seminyak, a more sophisticated tourist region of southern Bali. But more correctly within the area known as Petitenget.
- Area: Faces the beach along the invisible border between Seminyak/Petitenget and Batu Belig, and is in fact, far closer to the limited facilities at the latter. Bars and cafés are more accessible along the glorious beach than the busy road.
- How to Get There: The only way to/from the airport is by metered taxi or chartered car with a driver. This takes about 40 minutes (14km), depending on traffic.
W Bali – Seminyak – The Basics
- Guests: The overall vibe is about couples under 40. Older guests may not relish the trendy setting, while facilities for families are quite limited.
- Beach: Stunning and wonderfully-maintained, but like the rest of Seminyak/Petitenget, the sand is grey and the waves can be rough, so take care. No flags or lifeguards this far up the beach.
- Views: Varies enormously. Rooms and suites face the ocean or gardens, while villas are secluded behind walls.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: The pool villas feature private infinity pools, which is far nicer than the average plunge pool.
- Wi-Fi: Normally included and available throughout, but double-check when booking.
- Parking: Enough free and secure spots well inside the resort grounds, but think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (0)361 300 0106
- Email: Send a message through the website marriott.com
- Website: marriott.com
W Bali – Seminyak – Amenities
- Pool: The main pool is multi-tiered and massive enough to feature a ‘beach’, ‘waterfalls’, and ‘islands’ of palm trees. It’s even given a name: WET. Offers a splash area for the young ones.
- Spa: The AWAY Spa is ultra-modern and open 24 hours. Range of super-indulgent packages with names like ‘Serene & Soulful’ and ‘Glamour & Glitz’. Features a steam room, plunge pools, and bar.
- Fitness Center: Next to the spa and aptly called Fit, the massive gym features all the latest gear. Personal trainers and yoga classes can also be arranged.
- Facilities: Arcade of boutiques. Juice stand.
W Bali – Seminyak – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: Starfish Bloo – Beachside, with plenty of seats inside and out. Renowned among expats for its Sunday brunches. • Fire – Open-plan kitchen serving pizzas, grills, and seafood all day.
- Bars: W Lounge – At the lobby, a popular hangout for martinis, whiskeys, and cigars. • Woobar – Poolside, serving cocktails, wines, and DJs late into the night. • ICE Bar – More casual, for cocktails, canapes, and cheeses. Views of the pool and sea from all angles across the upper floor.
- Breakfast: Not included, but can be paid for when booking or on the day.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
W Bali – Seminyak – Rooms
- Room Types: Ocean Facing Guest Rooms • WOW 2 Bedroom Villas • Garden Escape Guest Rooms • 1 Bedroom Suites • Extreme WOW 2 Bedroom Suites • 1 Bedroom Pool Villas • E-WOW 3 Bedroom Villas
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms, but permitted elsewhere.
- Best Room: Some villas have more bedrooms, but the 1 Bedroom Pool Villas are the finest. With a substantial pool, butler service 24/7, and state-of-the-art entertainment equipment, they are very private and secluded.
- For Families: Villas have 2 or 3 bedrooms, while some rooms have connecting doors, but the resort is not that interested in families.
W Bali – Seminyak – Local Transport
- Walking: Very little worthwhile within walking distance, and the main road is 500m from the lobby, but buggies are available within the grounds.
- Public Transport & Shuttle Bus: There is no public transport. The Kura-Kura Bus company, which links Seminyak with Ubud and the rest of southern Bali, doesn’t venture this far out.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: To reach attractions within southern Bali, metered taxis are abundant, cheap, and comfortable. For longer distances, charter a car with a driver for a negotiable fare. Driving a car is not recommended anywhere in Bali, but motorbikes are useful for getting around Seminyak/Petitenget – less so for elsewhere in southern Bali. All transport options can be arranged at the resort.
- Shuttle Bus: To reach another town outside of southern Bali, e.g. Ubud, buy a ticket at a travel agency for a shuttle bus. Some may pick up guests from their hotel, but services for the main island-wide operator, Perama, only leave from its office in Kuta.
W Bali – Seminyak – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
The lobby is about 500m from the main road, along which facilities are quite limited. Seems pointless to eat anywhere along the busy road, so walk south no more than 400m along the sand to one of the ultra-sleek beach clubs which offer elegant poolside dining. These include:
- Potato Head Beach Club Bali – Modern, casual dining, tropical cocktails, and award-winning wine list.
- Seasalt – Very stylish cafe serving exquisite seafood with open kitchen and indoor and outdoor seating.
- Mano Beach House – Contemporary dining, excellent cocktails, pool, and beachside seating.
- Worth a 500m stroll south along the beach is the very graceful La Lucciola (0)361 730 838, with its spacious beachside setting and world-class Italian cuisine.
Even better, plod along the sand for 200m north to Batu Belig Beach, where a long line of adorable but low-key seaside cafés/bars await, including Warung Cantina (40m, 1-minute walk), Warung Lais (110m, 1-minute walk), and Warung Pantai (110m, 1-minute walk).
- A few minimarts along the main road, but no other reason to walk along this traffic-clogged thoroughfare. Instead, grab a taxi and head to the quaint Seminyak Square for bistros, bakeries, and bookshops (1.8km, 10-minute drive); or to the world-class Beachwalk shopping center in Kuta (10km, 40-minute drive).