by Santorini Dave • Updated: March 20, 2019
• Affiliate Disclosure: Booking.com is my favorite website for booking hotels (and yes, it’s the site I always use when reserving a room). It’s safe, easy to use, and consistently has great rates. All hotel links on my site are affiliate links meaning I earn a small fee when you book a hotel. (There is never any extra cost to you for using these links). I use some of these earnings for my monthly donation to the wonderful non-profit GiveDirectly. Read more about my charitable giving here.
The Best Budget Hotels in Bali
Good Budget Hotels in Kuta/Legian
The crowds, hawkers, and traffic can be overwhelming for some, but this is Bali’s most popular area for tourists, and amazingly good value can be found in its backstreets – within a 5-minute walk of famous Kuta Beach. These feature swimming pools.
- Hotel Lusa – Quiet and convenient; popular for its large pool and midrange facilities at budget prices.
- Suji Bungalow – Convenient, tranquil, and ideal for families, with Balinese-style villas and cheaper rooms all facing spacious grounds that some 5-star resorts would envy.
- Hotel Sorga Cottages – Always popular for its central but quiet corner position, and its friendly staff.
Good Budget Hotels in Sanur
Sunur is a quieter area that lacks the surf, sunsets, and malls of Kuta/Legian. Still, it offers plenty to do, including a 6km-long beachside path perfect for walking and cycling. The following hotels offer pools.
- Hotel Jati Sanur – Charming, peaceful, and friendly, with Balinese-style bungalows in lush gardens. 250m from the beach.
- Little Pond Homestay – Newish, and set back from the road, in a terrific spot for shops and cafés. 200m from the beach.
- Peneeda View Beach Hotel – The best value alongside the sea. Secluded Balinese-style rooms face flourishing gardens near the many facilities in the streets just outside.
Good Budget Hotels in Padangbai
This scenic and likable beachfront village is best known for speedboats to the Gili Islands and ferries to Lombok. It also makes an ideal base for exploring the east coast. Many hotels in Padangbai don’t have swimming pools, but these three do.
- Puri Rai Hotel – Cove-facing, and popular for its setting and Balinese-style gardens. In a top location for the village’s limited facilities.
- Kerti Beach Bungalows – Beachfront, quiet, and long-established. More spacious than most rivals in the area.
- Serangan Inn Mimba – Clean and quiet; all rooms have pool-view balconies. Located a 1-minute walk from the beach, further from the public carpark.
Good Budget Hotels in Nusa Lembongan
This increasingly popular and laidback island has gorgeous beaches and terrific diving and snorkeling – and is only 45 minutes by speedboat from Sanur. Almost every beach-facing hotel will cost double than similar ones set 100m further back.
- Rama Garden Retreat – Family-run, offering spacious and garden-facing detached cottages. In Jungutbatu village, 150m from the sea. No pool.
- Linda Beach Resort – One of the island’s first, it’s been recently renovated but still maintains its charm. Excellent pool, and the best value facing Jungutbatu beach.
- Lembongan Garden Cottages – Delightful cottages (and dorm-style rooms) facing a gorgeous pool. Near Sandy Bay, and walkable to the equally scenic Dream Beach.
Good Budget Hotels in Ubud
The spiritual and cultural heart of Bali, with so much to see and do in Ubud (market, temples, and art museums) and the surrounding area (rice terraces at Tegallalang and rock sculptures at Gunung Kawi). These three hotels have swimming pools.
- Nick’s Pension – Gorgeous villas set amid rice-fields along both sides of a river. Long-established, with an unbeatable location in the town center.
- Gayatri – Traditional Balinese charm and extra-large villas in a very handy position in the center of Ubud.
- Honeymoon Guesthouse – Cute and welcoming, on a tranquil, but convenient, street. Excellent facilities, including a renowned café.
Good Budget Hotels in Lovina
Although the sea in Lovina is barely swimmable, many travelers are drawn to its village vibe, great-value hotels, and distance from the tourist crowds. These hotels have pools (a perk, considering the poor beaches) and are located in Kalibukbuk village, which offers the best facilities.
- Hotel Angsoka – A variety of rooms face charming gardens and sizeable pool. On a quiet laneway, just around the corner from the beach.
- Puri Bali Hotel – Newer than most, with comfortable rooms among shaded gardens. Great for families.
- Taman Lily’s Hotel – Guests continually rave about the helpful staff and immaculate rooms at this newly-renovated guesthouse. Surrounded by terrific bars and cafés.