by Santorini Dave • Updated: April 3, 2019
See Also: The Best Hotels in Bali
The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua – Faultless luxury among vast tropical gardens in a superb location.
The beautiful grounds, which are substantial enough for guests to require buggies and maps, feature several lotus-filled lagoons that dominate the views from across the resort. All rooms and suites are spacious and superbly furnished with subtle Balinese touches, and some are angled towards the sea. The balconies and patios overlook the shady gardens and/or extensive lagoons, while those at ground level have direct access to one of the main pools. Some of the seven pools even feature islands, waterfalls, and beaches, while the real beach is perfectly curved and immaculately groomed. Plenty of family activities are offered, such as tennis, yoga, and water-sports, and the young ones would also adore the kids club, children’s pool, and games room. And The Laguna is within walking distance of the mall, headlands (after which Nusa Dua is named), and worthwhile Museum Pasifika.
The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua – The Location
- Address: Inside the gated complex of 4 and 5-star resorts at Nusa Dua, a very popular tourist region in southern Bali.
- Area: Faces a glorious beach within the most spacious and tranquil part of southern Bali. Very convenient for beaches, shops, cafés, and other attractions.
- How to Get There: The only way to/from the airport is by metered taxi or chartered car with a driver. This takes about 20 minutes (12km via the tollway), depending on traffic.
- Handy to: Bali Collection mall. Café/bars at The Bay Bali. Museum Pasifika. Headland with temples and views.
The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua – The Basics
- Guests: Less of a family vibe than most rival resorts nearby. Children are welcome, but many guests are couples of all ages.
- Kids Club: The only facilities are at the neighboring (and associated) Westin resort, 100m to the north. Unusually, the Westin Family Kids Club accepts children from 0 to 4 in a separate area (which is basically babysitting). Large, secure, indoors and outside, it’s one of the best in Nusa Dua.
- Beach: Perfect beach: wide, spotlessly clean, immaculately raked, and lined with lounge chairs, umbrellas, and gazebos.
- Views: Mostly views of the gardens, ponds, pools, and/or lawns. Some rooms are angled towards the beach, but any promised ‘sea views’ may disappoint.
- Kitchen: All suites and villas and some standard rooms feature modest kitchenettes.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Many suites at ground level have access to the main pool from the patios, while some villas feature private pools.
- Wi-Fi: Free throughout the resort for all guests.
- Parking: Enough free and secure spots at the reception area, but think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (0)361 771 327
- Email: Send a message through the resort website marriott.com
- Website: marriott.com
The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua – Amenities
- Pool: Remarkably, there are 7 pools. Some are large enough to feature islands, waterfalls, and beaches, and a substantial one is especially for children.
- Spa: The Lagoon Spa offers a wonderful range of treatments in its opulent building, and massages are also offered at gazebos along the beach. Special therapies for men and children, as well as a steam room, sauna, and fitness classes.
- Fitness Center: Open 24 hours, featuring all the latest equipment.
- For Families: Anyone can use the facilities at the Westin resort next door, including the Games Room and Kids Club there. Cots.
- Activities: Plenty offered: tennis, yoga, water-sports, snorkeling, and lessons in traditional arts/crafts, dance, cooking, language, and music. Jogging track. Bicycle rentals.
- Other Facilities: Hairdressing salon. Florist. Cash machine. Gift shop. Barbeque area. Business Center.
The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: Banyubiru – Buffets for breakfast and themed buffets at dinner (but no lunch). Pan-Asian and international cuisines. Alongside the main pool. • Cornerstone – Tempting array of tasty treats at this delicatessen-cum-café. Homemade ice-cream and wine shop. • Arwana Restaurant – Winner of numerous awards for contemporary cuisine, with a focus on seafood. Adorable beachfront position, almost on the sand.
- Bars: Kul Kul – Beachside bar offering a casual setting, light meals, and curated cocktails. • Cascade – Lounge bar for all-day tapas, signature cocktails, and imported champagne.
- Breakfast: Not included. Pay extra when booking or on the day.
- Room Service: Available 24/7. Also, a butler service all day/night for some suites and villas.
The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Garden View • Deluxe Lagoon View • Deluxe Studios • Deluxe Lagoon Access • Studio Lagoon Access • 1 Bedroom Executive Suites • Lagoon Access Suites • Deluxe Executive Suites • Ocean View Suites • Deluxe Ocean View Suites • Grande Lagoon Suites • Hibiscus Villas • 1 Bedroom Villas • 2 Bedroom Villas
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms or public areas, but permitted elsewhere.
- Best Room: Hibiscus Villas are extremely large and feature separate living/dining areas, kitchenettes, substantial pools with cabanas, and butler service.
- For Families: Many rooms have connecting doors and some villas have 2 bedrooms, as well as kitchenettes and private pools.
The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: It’s often a lot quicker – and certainly more scenic – to walk along the beachside path than the main road through Nusa Dua. This road is flat and comparatively quiet, making it ideal for cycling. Ask the reception about renting a bike.
- Public Transport: In lieu of any public transport or shuttle buses around Bali, the Kura-Kura Bus company links Nusa Dua with Ubud and the rest of southern Bali, but schedules are convoluted and routes, confusing.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: To go anywhere within southern Bali, metered taxis are abundant, cheap, and comfortable. For longer distances, charter a car with a driver for a negotiable fare. Driving a car is not recommended anywhere in Bali; however, motorbikes are a fun and easy way to get around Nusa Dua and neighboring Tanjung Benoa but not elsewhere in southern Bali. All transport options can be arranged at the resort.
- Local Shuttle Buses: Free shuttle buses link major hotels in Nusa Dua with the Bali Collection mall (see below). This is also a great way to reach other resorts, beaches, and facilities in Nusa Dua and Tanjung Benoa.
The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
All places listed below are best accessed on foot along the lovely beachside path.
- Within neighboring resorts, the Westin (100m north, 1-minute walk) offers, among others, the elegant Prego restaurant, and the Meliã (100m south) is home to the authentic Sakura Japanese Restaurant and Sorrento Spanish Restaurant and Tapas, which is especially intimate at night.
- Frangipani Bali Restaurant – Quiet and colorful position for ribs, grills, lobster, and children’s menu.
- De Verdant Kuma – Charming décor and healthy cuisine from across Indonesia.
- Agendaz Beach Club – Trendy and perfect seaside setting.
- Bebek Bengil Dirty Duck Diner – Famous Ubud-based institution for crispy duck.
- Pirates Bay Bali – Fun setting for families, featuring treehouses and an old boat.
- Surf & Turf Nusa Dua Beach – Beach Club and amusement park, with wave machine. Loads of fun for the kids.