Our Favorite Hotels in Amalfi
Best Places to Stay in Amalfi
- Amalfi is the most centrally-located town on its namesake coast and the hub of regional transportation, making it an ideal base for exploring the region. The heart of this seaside village with its main beach, landmark cathedral and bustling ferry port is less than one kilometer across at its widest point along the coast and extends north toward the hills for about half a kilometer. The greater Amalfi area includes the quieter beaches, lemon groves, and fishermen’s outposts southwest about three kilometers.
- First-time visitors should stay near the town center. Accommodation here ranges from luxury to budget and sits just a few steps from an organized beach, medieval cathedral, and historic paper mill museum. The lively main square, Piazza del Duomo, sits at the foot of the monumental cathedral staircase and bursts with restaurants, shops, cafes, and bars. Coastal cruises and day trips to nearby towns are a breeze from central Amalfi. Luna Convento and Residenza Luce are the best hotels in the heart of Amalfi.
- Everything in the town itself is accessible on foot. A car is a major hinderance here with only one drivable road through town, one narrow and incredibly congested coastal road, and a dearth of parking. Plan on using public transportation to get around. The bus station and ferry terminal are right in the center of town with frequent service to all the area’s highlights, including Positano, Ravello, the Path of the Gods hiking trail, and Grotta dello Smeraldo, a sea cave glowing with emerald light. Ferry tickets can be purchased at the kiosks at the port or online from Travelmar. Bus tickets can be purchased before your ride at tobacco shops (tabaccherie), newspaper stands, souvenir shops, bars, and cafes. You cannot buy bus tickets on the bus.
- Though the town center is ideal for exploring and celebrating, it can get mobbed with tourists, especially in high season (summer). To avoid the crowds and gain more privacy, consider staying just outside the town center, though you will forfeit the convenience of hopping on a ferry or bus on a whim.
The 7 Best Hotels in Amalfi
1. Santa Caterina – Luxury
Hotel phone: +39 089 871012
Secluded luxury hotel on a clifftop with a private beach accessible by elevator, a heated saltwater pool with sea views, and a heavenly spa. Two Mediterranean restaurants (one fine and one casual), bar terraces with sweeping views, and complimentary breakfast are on offer. The elegant guestrooms all feature marble bathrooms, sea-view or garden-view balconies, and maiolica tile floors hand-painted in Vietri sul Mare. Spacious suites have bathtubs; some add private, heated pools. Serene location just one kilometer to Amalfi center.
2. Borgo Santandrea – Luxury
Hotel phone: +39 089 831148
Cliffside luxury haven with a private, serviced beach, a saltwater swimming pool, and a holistic wellness center. Rooms and suites feature marble bathrooms, handmade tiles, and balconies with sea views. Top tier suites add heated, infinity plunge pools. Dining is both indulgent and romantic with three refined restaurants on site, complemented by an robust wine cellar and craft cocktail bar. Perched above the fishing village of Conca dei Marini, less than a 10-minute drive to Amalfi, the location offers tranquility with ease of access to town.
3. Luna Convento – Luxury
Hotel phone: +39 089 871002
Gorgeous hotel set in an 800-year-old, former Franciscan monastery located a 5-minute walk from Amalfi’s town center. The main building features elegant Moorish architecture, a sea-view Mediterranean restaurant, and a restored cloister (pictured above). Across the road, a thousand-year-old defensive tower now houses the hotel’s saltwater pool, a Neapolitan restaurant, and breathtaking views over the sea. Rooms and suites feature simple, traditional furnishings; some add private balconies or terraces. A complimentary breakfast buffet is served daily.
4. Residenza Luce – Midrange
Hotel phone: +39 089 871537
Boutique hotel with complimentary breakfast, a terrace with panoramic views, and concierge service, located a couple of minutes from the Piazza Duomo and the beach. All rooms have private bathrooms, and suites feature balconies and separate living rooms.
5. Albergo Sant’Andrea – Midrange
Hotel phone: +39 089 871145
Boutique hotel in the Piazza Duomo with breakfast included and private bathrooms in every guestroom. In addition to the on-site restaurant and bar, the hotel is nestled between the Cathedral and numerous restaurants and cafes, while the waterfront is just a minute’s walk (100 meters) away.
6. Hotel Lidomare – Midrange
Hotel phone: +39 089 871332
Historic hotel located close to the waterfront and ferry terminal, and steps to numerous restaurants and cafes. Every room has a whirlpool tub, a refrigerator, and a safe. Free breakfast is available daily.
7. Hotel Fontana – Midrange
Hotel phone: +39 089 871530
Charming, family-run hotel situated in the heart of Amalfi town, close to both buses and ferries. The hotel features comfortable rooms with traditional Italian decor, complemented by modern amenities and free breakfast, making it an affordable base for exploring the Amalfi Coast.