Our Favorite Hotels in Positano
Best Places to Stay in Positano
- Positano is the westernmost town on the Amalfi Coast, and the most emblematic of the region with its iconic, majolica-tiled, cathedral dome anchoring the town, two sandy beaches (Spiaggia Grande and Fornillo), and pastel-hued houses built in terraces on the mountains. Positano’s town center takes up more land area than other towns on the coast, with a valley and winding roads dividing it up into roughly three commercial areas. The City Center (where you’ll find the duomo, archaeological museum, Spiaggia Grande, and ferry port and the low hills to the north), Sponda (in the hills above and to the east of the main square), and the highest point of town in the western hills above the ferry port and Fornillo Beach (no official name for this area). The greater Positano area extends about two kilometers southeast past Arienzo to Laurito, including both these hamlets and their beaches.
- First-time visitors and those who plan to explore more of the Amalfi Coast should consider staying in the City Center (Palazzo Murat is a great choice) or Sponda (Marincanto is our top pick here) for easy access to the attractions, beaches, bus stops, and ferry port. Stay in the western hills for a quieter vacation with fewer crowds; Villa Magia is an amazing hotel here.
- Nicknamed “The Vertical City,” Positano is built in a series of terraces connected by zigzagging roads and steep staircases. Be prepared to climb. The City Center is the flattest part of the town, but you will still encounter stairs, ramps, and inclines no matter where you stay. If arriving by boat, there are numerous porter services for hire to get your luggage to your hotel in town, so you don’t have to lug it up the stairs. Look for them at the port in their blue shirts and tiny electric carts or book online ahead of time. Rates vary, but expect to pay about €6 per bag. The porter service also transfers elderly guests and persons with special needs for free.
The 12 Best Hotels in Positano
1. Il San Pietro di Positano – Luxury
Hotel phone: +39 089 812 080
Stunning luxury resort on a cliff with a private beach accessible by elevator, a heated pool and sundeck with sea views, a wellness center, a tennis court, and two private yachts available for day charters. Complimentary experiences open to all guests include a two-hour cruise, a cocktail master class, Italian lessons, yoga and pilates, a guided culinary garden tour, and a pizza-making class. Breakfast is also free, whether at the buffet or served directly to your room. The Michelin-starred Zass Restaurant offers a chef’s table experience, while beachfront Carlino offers informal, local cuisine. All rooms and suites feature floor-to-ceiling windows and private, sea view terraces. Relatively remote location between Arienzo and Laurito, but the free on-site parking and free shuttle service to Positano town center (about two kilometers away) make getting around easy.
2. Villa Magia – Luxury
Hotel phone: +39 089 875 584
This ultra-luxe boutique hotel set in a former watchtower on the highest hills between Fornillo Beach and Spiaggia Grande boasts the best views in Positano. Spacious rooms, suites, and the villa offer expansive sea-facing vistas from their perch high on the hills above the ferry port, the town, cathedral, and both beaches. Five-star facilities include two pools (one heated and one refreshing) and a decadent spa with a variety of water therapies. Sumptuous meals are served at the all-day tapas and cocktail bar and at the gourmet Southern Italian restaurant, with an emphasis on locally-sourced ingredients. Breakfast is complimentary; room service is 24/7. Accommodations vary in size and layout, but all include private, balconies or terraces furnished with sunbeds and a dining table. Some add jetted baths, private pools, or chromotherapy showers.
3. Palazzo Murat – Luxury
Hotel phone: +39 089 875 177
Historic boutique hotel set in a 19th-century palace in the city center immediately behind Positano’s landmark, majolica-domed cathedral. Here you’ll find a sparkling pool with sea views, a lush garden and citrus grove, and a spa with a hammam. The courtyard bar, Le Petit Murat, is a perennial favorite gathering place for light fare and aperitifs by day or night, while the restaurant Al Palazzo offers casually elegant Italian dishes. Each room and suite varies in size, decor, and view (to the city, garden, or sea), but all include a private balcony and complimentary breakfast. The best-located hotel in Positano for exploring on foot, the palazzo is surrounded by shops and restaurants and about a 5-minute walk to the main beach, ferry port, and bus stop.
4. Hotel Marincanto – Luxury
Hotel phone: +39 089 875 130
The most centrally located hotel in Positano with a private beach – less than a 10-minute walk to the duomo (other hotels with private beaches are about 20 to 30 minutes away on foot). Beach service includes sunbeds, umbrellas, showers, and a bar. Guests also have a free-form, jetted infinity pool with sea views and a poolside snack and cocktail bar. In the evenings, their casual bistro converts into an exquisite Italian restaurant with international flare and an impressive wine selection. Each room and suite is different, but all have twice-daily maid service, 24-hour room service, and free breakfast included; some add balconies, jetted baths, and sea views. Ideal location in the Sponda neighborhood near shopping, dining, the beach, and the bus stop.
5. Eden Roc – Luxury
Hotel phone: +39 089 875 844
Eden Roc is home to two of Positano’s best restaurants, along with a rooftop bar and complimentary breakfast. Roc Pizza & Steak offers multi-award-winning pizzas along, carefully selected steaks from around the world (including wagyu imported from Miyazaki prefecture), and a wine room boasting 800 Italian and international labels. Adamo ed Eva offers contemporary Mediterranean fare with breathtaking views. Rooms, suites, and villas all boast sea views, walk-in showers, private balconies or terraces, and free minibars replenished daily; some add outdoor jacuzzis. A refreshing pool and wellness center round out the offerings here. Gorgeous views and a great walkable location in the hills of the Sponda neighborhood.
6. Le Agavi – Luxury
Hotel phone: +39 089 875 733
Clifftop luxury hotel just west of Fornillo Beach with a private beach club accessible by funicular, a ’70s-inspired heated pool, and a holistic spa, plus an outdoor massage corner above the sea. The gastronomic program includes a refined Italian restaurant, contemporary casual beachfront dining, and poolside snacks, along with a curated wine cellar, and three bars. Wine tastings and cooking classes are on offer; breakfast is complimentary. All rooms and suites have a private balcony or terrace with sunbeds and an al fresco dining space; some add soaking tubs or dual showers. Free perks include an hour a day per guest in the spa and free hourly shuttle to and from central Positano, about a 10-minute ride away.
7. Hotel Villa Franca – Luxury
Hotel phone: +39 089 875 655
Glitzy and glamorous boutique hotel with a rooftop infinity pool, full-service spa, and exceptional views from its hilltop location. Each room and suite has a private, furnished balcony or terrace, complimentary minibar, marble bathroom, and Italian linens. The culinary program comprises of Michelin-starred, fine dining restaurant, an elevated Neapolitan osteria, and a stylish rooftop lounge with champagne and Mediterranean bites. Breakfast is included in the rates, as is the shuttle service to central Positano. The walk into town or to the beach is just under 10 minutes from the hotel on the highest hills above Spiaggia Grande and Fornillo Beach.
8. La Tavolozza Residence – Moderate
Hotel phone: +39 089 875 040
Cozy guesthouse with some rooms featuring balconies and sea views, located a 5-minute walk from the Spiaggia Grande and within steps of restaurants and luxury shopping. Every room has a private bathroom, a closet, and a desk, and the property provides beach towels and concierge service. Great views from many rooms in this City Center hotel.
9. Albergo California – Moderate
Hotel phone: +39 089 875 382
Hillside hotel surrounded by shops, restaurants, and bars with an expansive terrace where a free breakfast buffet is served daily. All rooms have refrigerators and balconies with sea views, some rooms have whirlpool tubs, and limited on-site parking is available. Convenient location in the hills just above the City Center.
10. La Rosa Dei Venti – Moderate
Hotel phone: +39 089 875 003
Charming hotel with balconies and refrigerators in every room, located a 5-minute walk to Fornillo Beach and a short walk to numerous restaurants. Free breakfast is served daily; some rooms have sea views. Tranquil setting about a 15-minute walk to the heart of town
11. Hotel Savoia – Moderate
Hotel phone: +39 089 875 252
Elegant boutique hotel located close to the beach (300 meters) and steps to restaurants and shops. A complimentary breakfast buffet is available in the breakfast room or on an outdoor terrace, each colorful guest room has a minibar and a safe, and some rooms offer sea views and balconies.
12. Hotel Bougainville – Budget
Hotel phone: +39 089 875 047
Colorful hotel in the center of Positano with complimentary breakfast and some rooms featuring balconies and sea views. The hotel is situated within a short walk of many restaurants, high-end boutiques, bus stops, and parking garages, and the beach and ferry terminal are a 5-minute walk (400 meters) away.
- Amalfi Coast – Where To Stay
- Italy Travel Guide
- Where to Go in Italy
- Best Time to Visit Italy
- Where to Stay on the Amalfi Coast