• Affiliate Disclosure: All hotel links on my site are affiliate links meaning I earn a small fee when you book a hotel. (There is never any extra cost to you for using these links). I use some of these earnings for my monthly charitable donation.
Reykjavik Hotels – Tips and Recommendations
- For most visitors June to early September is the best time to visit Iceland though this can vary if you’re interested in whale watching or seeing the Northern Lights.
- Booking.com – the best website for booking hotels in Reykjavik and Iceland.
- Best Luxury Hotel in Reykjavik: Canopy by Hilton Reykjavik City Centre
- Best Boutique Hotel in Reykjavik: Alda Hotel Reykjavík
- Best Reykjavik Hotels for Families: Reykjavik Residence Apartment Hotel • Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Marina • Hotel Ódinsvé
The 12 Best Hotels in Reykjavik, Iceland
- Click the hotel name to check prices on Booking.com – my favorite website for booking hotels. Book 4 to 6 months in advance for the best rooms and rates.
Just around the corner from Laugavegur street and a short stroll away from the museums, harbor, and cathedral, this top-notch hotel offers contemporary rooms and suites with fancy art, complimentary wifi, breakfast, espresso machines, and mini-fridges. Historic heritage rooms have been carefully restored, suites add living areas, and loft suites are the most spacious. There’s a library, complimentary bicycles, Iceland’s famous Omnom chocolate, and water filtered by Icelandic lava. Hotel Phone: +354 528 7000.
Luxe, historic hotel in the heart of downtown Reykjavik overlooking Austurvöllur Square and offering beautiful, Art Deco style rooms, suites, and one 2-story tower suite. Rooms feature parquet flooring, custom-made furnishings, armories, vintage paintings, large tubs, marble floors. Suites add seating areas. Within walking distance to main shopping streets and top sights. The hotel has a Jamie Oliver Italian restaurant. Hotel Phone: +354 551 1440.
Enjoying a brilliant location on Laugavegur (Reykjavik’s main shopping street) within walking distance of the harbor, Hallgrimskirkja church etc. this trendy hotel offers simple, modern rooms and suites with tea/coffee making facilities. Deluxe rooms have mountain/ocean views, attic rooms add balconies, and suites have both living areas & balconies. Offers a smartphone in rooms that’s free to use locally around the city. Hotel Phone: +354 553 9366.
4. Hotel Holt
A 5-minute stroll from the the main shopping street & Tjornin lake, this 4-star, boutique hotel features bright rooms & suites, adorned with the works of Icelandic master artists (Iceland’s largest private collection). Rooms have work desks, mini-bars and suites add living areas with pull-out sofabeds. Has a famous fine-dining restaurant and an extensive wine cellar. Hotel Phone: +354 552 5700.
5. Apótek Hotel
Centrally located, 4-star, Art Nouveau style, boutique hotel having chic rooms and suites with parquet veneered floors, mini-bars and writing desks. Deluxe rooms & suites look out over Austurvöllur square (best views) and suites add seating areas. Has one 3-floor tower suite. Plenty of museums, galleries, restaurants and shopping all around. Hotel Phone: +354 512 9000.
Whimsically styled with maritime elements, this hotel near the old harbor has vibrant rooms, studios, and suites with designer furnishings, colorful knick-knacks, quirky fixtures, and ocean/mountain/marina views. Smallish rooms, but the design compensates. Attic rooms have private balconies. Harpa concert hall is a 10-minute walk away and plenty of funky cafes, shops & galleries in the area. Hotel Phone: +354 560 8000.
Charming, boutique, 19th-century hotel with modern Scandinavian decor located in the downtown area near City Hall, steps away from cafes, museums, bars, and attractions. Offers spacious suites with Icelandic art, free Wifi, large private balconies (some), Nespresso coffee machines, refrigerators, and full kitchenettes. Top-of-the-line Mountain suites have 2 balconies overlooking Reykjavík, a massive living area and a second bedroom with bunk beds. The bar has a unique, eclectic selection of wines, whiskeys, and gins. Hotel Phone: +354 571 4421.
8. Skuggi Hotel
Centrally located walking distance of the central sights, this modern hotel offers minimalistic rooms (single, double & superior) with complimentary underground parking, breakfast, wifi, coffee & tea making facilities, writing desks, and parquet floors. Laugavegur street with its shopping, cafes, and restaurants is a short walk away. Hotel Phone: +354 590 7000.
Located in the downtown area, approximately 2 blocks away from Laugavegur street, this historic property offers large, good value, studio apartments with minimalistic interiors, hardwood floors, free Wifi and full kitchenettes (hot plate & fridge). Industrial studios add dining tables and sofabeds and penthouse studios have private balconies. It’s a 2-minute walk to the harbor. Hotel Phone: + 354 625 0000.
High-end aparthotel, offering spotless, sleek suites with free Wifi, sofabeds, sitting areas, full kitchens, blackout curtains, Nespresso coffee machines, heated marble floors. Deluxe suites add private lifts, washing machines & large terraces. Has spacious 2-bedroom deluxe suites and a penthouse suite (2 deluxe suites) with an iMac in the bedroom. The harbor, city center & main shopping areas are an easy walk away. Hotel Phone: +354 527 9600.
Featuring an upscale home vibe, this outstanding aparthotel offers 7 categories of apartments ranging from studios & suites to 1-3 bedroom apartments and suites named after royalty. They are all equipped with Gusto coffee makers, blackout curtains and Bluetooth speakers. Studios have kitchenettes (fridge, stove & microwave). Apartments however have full kitchens, sitting & dining areas, while the Royal Suites add corner bathtubs and wine coolers with wine selections. Excellent location in the city center close to boutiques, cafés, museums, bars and more. Lacks an on-site restaurant, spa/fitness center. Hotel Phone: +354 561 1200.
12. Hotel Odinsve
Four-star boutique hotel with tasteful interiors, that’s steps away from the National Theater and Reykjavik’s two main shopping streets. Has minimalist rooms & suites and more luxurious apartments, all fitted with hardwood floors and fast wifi. Has bi-level Junior Suites with sitting areas & great top floor views while apartments have their own kitchen. And there’s an award-winning on-site restaurant (my favorite place to eat in Reykjavik). Hotel Phone: +354 511 6200.
- Reykjavik Travel Guide
- Best Hotels for Families in Reykjavik
- Best Boutique Hotels in Reykjavic
- Best Budget Hotels in Reykjavik
- Best Time to Visit Iceland
- Amsterdam – The Very Best Hotels
- Athens – The Very Best Hotels
- Barcelona – The Very Best Hotels
- Dublin – The Very Best Hotels
- Florence – The Very Best Hotels
- Istanbul – The Very Best Hotels
- Lisbon – The Very Best Hotels
- London – The Very Best Hotels
- Naples – The Very Best Hotels
- Paris – The Very Best Hotels
- Prague – The Very Best Hotels
- Rome – The Very Best Hotels
- Venice – The Very Best Hotels