Paris Affordable Hotels – Tips & Advice
- My favorite neighborhoods in Paris are St Germain des Pres (center of the action, filled with shops, cafes, and restaurants), Marais (trendy, local vibe), and the 7th arrondissement (quieter, but still an easy walk to the Eiffel tower and St Germain).
- Best Budget Hotels in Paris: Generator Paris • Welcome Hotel
- Best Midrange Hotels in Paris: Hotel du College de France • Le Relais Montmartre
- Best Affordable Hotels in Paris for Families: Hotel Palym
- To save time and money on the metro buy a booklet of 10 tickets called a carnet. They cost €14.40 and allow 10 rides. Any one ride can last 90 minutes and include transfers. Kids (ages 4 to 10) save even more money when buying the carnet since they must pay adult prices for single tickets (€1.80) but get the book of 10 for half-price (€7.20). Kids 3 and under are free on the Paris metro.
- The best restaurants in Paris aren’t always the most expensive. Check out Juveniles (inexpensive French comfort food and wine), L’As du Fallafel (the best falafel in the Paris plus Israeli wines; kosher), and La Bécane à Gaston (family-owned, French home cooking; romantic but not too spendy).
- Best place for ice cream (Berthillon), macarons (Pierre Herme), chocolate (Henri La Roux), baguette (Eric Kayser), cheese shop (Laurent Dubois), wine shop (La Derniere Goutte), crepes (Breizh Cafe), croissants (134 rdt), cafe (Le Pure Cafe or Les Deux Magots).
- Paris Choice Hotels – more cheap and good value hotels in Paris
The 19 Best Budget Hotels in Paris
1. Generator Paris – 10th Arrondissement • budget
Hotel phone: +33 1 70 98 84 00
Trendy hostel with a rooftop terrace, bar, and convenient location just a 2-minute walk to the Colonel Fabien metro station (2 stops from Gare du Nord), a 10-minute walk to Parc des Buttes-Chaumont, and one block from several restaurants. Private rooms with en-suite bathrooms, some with balconies, and mixed and female-only dorm rooms are available in addition to a 24-hour cafe, self-service laundry, and social activities.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Generator Paris
2. Welcome Hotel – 6th Arrondissement • budget
Hotel phone: +33 1 46 34 24 80
Charming hotel just a short walk to the Mabillon metro station, the Luxembourg Gardens, and the Cathedral of Notre-Dame. All rooms have private bathrooms, wardrobes, and desks. In addition to a 24-hour reception, hotel amenities include a terrace overlooking the Rue de Seine and optional continental breakfast.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Welcome Hotel
Hotel phone: +33 1 48 78 24 00
Funky hostel located a short walk to Square Louise-Michel, Gare du Nord, and numerous theaters and clubs, including Le Trianon. In addition to mixed and female-only dorms, private rooms with ensuite bathrooms are available (some with small balconies), and amenities include a bar, shared kitchen, spacious lounge with games, 24-hour reception, continental breakfast for a fee, and fitness room.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Vintage Gare du Nord
Hotel phone: +33 6 58 53 76 04
Classic hotel in the Latin Quarter with a living room-style lounge, daily continental breakfast buffet for a fee, and numerous restaurants and shops on the surrounding blocks. All rooms feature desks, most rooms are accessible via elevator, and the hotel is located less than a 10-minute walk from the Panthéon and the Cathedral of Notre-Dame.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Hotel du College de France
Hotel phone: +33 1 70 64 25 25
In the heart of Montmartre, this cozy hotel is right around the corner from Blanche metro station and a 15-minute walk from the Sacré-Cœur. In addition to continental breakfast for a fee, hotel amenities include an outdoor patio and a homey sitting area with a fireplace. Some rooms feature city views, a bathtub, and historic exposed beams.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Le Relais Montmartre
6. Le Petit Chomel – 7th Arrondissement • moderate
Hotel phone: +33 1 45 48 55 52
Sweet and comfortable hotel on a quiet side street one block from Saint-Germain-des-Prés, near Le Bon Marché and Sevres – Babylone metro station. Comfortable beds, friendly staff; some rooms have balconies. Walking distance to the Seine and many major attractions.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Le Petit Chomel
Hotel phone: +33 1 40 16 08 66
Within walking distance of many restaurants, theaters, nightclubs, and the Pigalle and Blanche metro stations, this elegant hotel offers complimentary tea and coffee in the sitting area, and 24-hour reception and concierge service, and the option to add daily breakfast. The stylish rooms feature wood floors, speaker systems, and minibars. Some suites have two bedrooms and balconies with Eiffel Tower views.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Hotel Saint-Louis Pigalle
Hotel phone: +33 1 45 51 52 30
The best budget hotel close to the Eiffel Tower. It’s quaint with a courtyard garden and a 24-hour front desk located about a 10 to 15-minute walk from Les Invalides, the Rodin Museum, and the Eiffel Tower – and even closer to several restaurants. Rooms feature safes, hair dryers, and fans. Breakfast is available daily for a fee.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Hotel du Champ de Mars
9. Hotel Chopin – 9th Arrondissement • moderate
Hotel phone: +33 1 47 70 58 10
Located inside the Passage Jouffroy covered shopping arcade, among the quaint restaurants, theaters, and shops of the 9th Arrondissement, this 19th-century pet-friendly hotel features a 24-hour front desk and a cozy lobby lounge. Rooms do not include air conditioning but offer private bathrooms and desks. The hotel is about a 15-minute walk from the Palais Garnier and the Louvre.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Hotel Chopin
Hotel phone: +33 1 48 05 75 00
Located a short walk to the Place de la Bastille and the Opéra Bastille, this hotel has a courtyard and a comfortable lobby lounge with books, concierge service, and drinks available throughout the day. A continental breakfast is available daily for a fee, while rooms feature minibars and ensuite bathrooms.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Hotel Marais Bastille
Hotel phone: +33 1 86 65 07 40
Adjacent to Gare de Lyon Station, this contemporary hotel features a 24-hour cafe, a living-room style lobby, self-service check-in kiosks, and a bar on the 16th floor. All rooms have king-sized beds, rain showers, smart TVs, and iPad-controlled lighting, and nearby attractions include the Jardin des Plantes and the AccorHotels Arena.
• Hotel website • Check prices for citizenM Gare de Lyon
Hotel phone: +33 1 42 55 05 06
Located a 10-minute walk to the Sacré-Cœur, all rooms at this Montmartre hotel include private bathrooms and copies of celebrated author Marcel Ayme’s novels. Some rooms have views of the Eiffel Tower, kitchens, and balconies. Connecting rooms are available. Hotel amenities include a bar, a 24-hour front desk, vintage decor, and a library.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Best Western Plus Hôtel Littéraire Marcel Aymé
Hotel phone: +33 1 42 60 75 32
The best affordable hotel close to the Louvre. This stylish hotel is decorated by designer Christian Lacroix and features 24-hour reception, an honor bar in the lobby, and furnishings from around the world. All rooms have desks, bathrobes, iHome speakers, and minibars, and some rooms have separate sitting areas. Mere steps to the Place de la Concorde, the Angelina Paris tea room, and the Tuileries Garden.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Hôtel du Continent
Hotel phone: +33 1 44 42 09 09
Sophisticated hotel with an on-site bar, cozy fireplace, and breakfast for a fee. All rooms include minibars, safes, and desks. Rooms on the upper floors have balconies and views of the Eiffel Tower (just a 20-minute walk away).
• Hotel website • Check prices for Hotel Duquesne Eiffel
15. Hotel Basss – 18th Arrondissement • moderate
Hotel phone: +33 1 42 51 50 00
Friendly boutique hotel with 24-hour reception, an elevator, optional buffet breakfast, and a game room on the patio. All rooms include a private bathroom with a walk-in shower, air conditioning, a desk, and coffee/tea facilities. One room is designed for guests with limited mobility (you must book directly with the hotel for that one). Pet friendly for dogs up to 10 kg. Wonderful location in romantic Montmartre, near dining, wine bars, shopping, and the iconic Sacre-Cœur Basilica. Less than 5 minutes on foot to Abbesses and Blanche metro stations.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Hotel Basss
16. Hotel Palym – 12th Arrondissement • moderate
Hotel phone: +33 1 43 43 24 48
Recently renovated, family-friendly, boutique hotel, conveniently located near the landmark Gare de Lyon train station and the lavish, historic Le Train Bleu brasserie. Less than a 15-minute walk to the Jardin des Plantes and its attached zoo and natural history museum. Single, double, triple, and quadruple rooms all feature air conditioning and private bathrooms with walk-in showers; quad rooms offer either two double beds or one double and two twins. Facilities and services include 24-hour reception, a living room lounge, American-style buffet breakfast (additional cost), an elevator, and one room designed for guests with limited mobility (must book directly with the hotel for this room).
• Hotel website • Check prices for Hotel Palym
Hotel phone: +33 1 40 20 01 10
A modern hotel set in a 17th-century building complete with a business center, self-service laundry, concierge service, and free tea and coffee in the lobby. All rooms have desks, bluetooth speakers, and minibars with complimentary drinks and snacks.
Located an 10-minute walk to the Louvre and the Tuileries Garden.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Hotel Paris Louvre Opera
Hotel phone: +33 1 53 02 20 00
Near Gare de Lyon and many cafes and restaurants. The Holiday Inn has larger rooms than most midrange Paris hotels. Located close to two different metro lines, getting anywhere in Paris from here is quick and easy. The entire hotel is non-smoking.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Holiday Inn Gare de Lyon Bastille
19. Hotel Emile – 4th Arrondissement • moderate
Hotel phone: +33 1 42 72 76 17
Charming boutique hotel with a bar on the Rue de Rivoli located a within a 10-minute walk of the Picasso National Museum and the Place de la Bastille. Modern rooms feature black and white decor, some rooms have claw-foot bathtubs and balconies. Excellent location in a neighborhood known for its numerous restaurants and shops.
• Hotel website • Check prices for Hotel Emile