Home > Lutyens Bungalow Hotel Review
Updated: October 9, 2019
Lutyens Bungalow – Quaint, historic, and family-run guesthouse in a leafy part of the city.
These colonial-era bungalows are named after the British designer of New Delhi. Set around a family home and gardens, with a flower nursery, vegetable patch, and birdlife, the bungalows are cute, if a little rustic. The main attractions are the very friendly host, free afternoon tea on the shady patio, substantial swimming pool, and single rooms at single rates. Like most places in New Delhi, however, there are virtually no facilities in the immediate area, but meals can be ordered (in advance) at the guesthouse. And it is within an extended stroll of 2 metro stations; Khan Market and its numerous places to eat, drink, and shop; and the attractive Lodhi Garden, a welcome oasis.
Lutyens Bungalow – The Location
- Address: 39 Prithviraj Road, New Delhi, near a major roundabout. Note the address and collect a business card when checking in because: (1) no taxi/auto-rickshaw driver will know it and (2) it’s not signposted at all. Look for the sign on the gate: 39 Amar Nath. Known to some locals as Nath Guesthouse.
- Area: In New Delhi, built as the Indian capital by British colonialists. Wide, clean, and shady streets, but nowhere to eat, drink, or shop in the immediate vicinity.
- How to Get There: From the airport, take the shuttle bus to the Aerocity metro station. Go to the New Delhi metro station and then get a connection to the Jor Bagh (700m, 9-minute walk) or Lok Kalyan Marg (750m, 10-minute walk) metro stations. Otherwise, a taxi (unmetered) to/from the airport will take about 30 minutes (16km).
- Handy to: Khan Market. Lodhi Garden.
Lutyens Bungalow – The Basics
- Guests: Caters for all, including individual travelers who can stay in single rooms at single rates. With a playground, spacious gardens, and pool, it’s great for families.
- Views: All rooms face the gardens or shady courtyard.
- Kitchen: Guests can use the kitchen alongside the reception area within the family home.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Certainly not expected or provided at a historic guesthouse like this in Delhi.
- Extras: Afternoon tea on the patio.
- Wi-Fi: Free throughout for all guests.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)11 2461 1341
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: lutyensbungalow.co.in
Lutyens Bungalow – Amenities
- Pool: Surprisingly, there is one, and the size and layout rivals a 3-star resort.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided.
- Facilities: Small playground. Trampoline. Library. Computer use. Ping pong table.
Lutyens Bungalow – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: This sort of old-fashioned guesthouse is not expected to have a café onsite, but hearty lunches and dinners are available if ordered the day before. The fridge near the kitchen is well-stocked with beer.
- Breakfast: Included in all rates and served in the dining room or on the patio.
- Room Service: Not expected with no café onsite.
Lutyens Bungalow – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Singles • Superior Doubles • Regular Doubles • Budget Singles
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms or family home, but permitted elsewhere.
- Best Room: The quietest ones are at the back of the main cluster of bungalows, more distant from traffic noise.
- For Families: Ask the management about an extra single bed in a double room. Otherwise, book 2 adjoining rooms (but they don’t have connecting doors).
Lutyens Bungalow – Local Transport
- Walking: Almost nothing worthwhile close by, except Khan Market (see below). But footpaths are clean, shady, and pleasant to walk around.
- Public Transport: The Delhi Metro is quick, reliable, and excellent value. There are 2 metro stations along the same line and equidistant from the guesthouse: Lok Kalyan Marg (sometimes still called ‘Racecourse’) along the main road to the north (750m, 10-minute walk), and Jor Bagh to the south (700m, 9-minute walk).
- Taxis & Rickshaws: Taxis are white, poorly-signed, and surprisingly hard to find. None will use a meter, and all are overpriced. Also available are Uber and Ola. Contrastingly, auto-rickshaws are everywhere.
Lutyens Bungalow – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
Nothing within walking distance, but an excellent selection at Khan Market (see below), including these 4 clustered in a corner:
- Wok in the Clouds – Authentic street-food in a very stylish setting. Also Thai, Chinese, and European food. Bar attached. 7-minute drive (2.2km).
- Smokey’s BBQ & Grill – All sorts of meats grilled to perfection. Equally popular for draft beer and live music. 7-minute drive (2.2km).
- Mamagoto – Various Asian cuisines, with a focus on Japanese. Quirky décor and entertaining staff. 8-minute drive (2.2km).
- La Vie – Another restaurant with surprisingly chic décor. Renowned for pizza and other Italian dishes. Daily specials. 8-minute drive (2.3km).
Shops & Markets
- No shops nearby, so get an auto-rickshaw to Khan Market. This is an extended area of narrow lanes brimming with better-than-normal shops and restaurants, but there is no real street market as such. Now a major attraction, Khan Market is seedy in places but does offer some well-known outlets too, such as Starbucks and Subway. It’s an easy 2km walk from the guesthouse. Head up the road away from the roundabout and follow the signs. (If dark, always use an auto-rickshaw.) 24-minute walk.
- A welcome respite, the Lodhi Garden is home to several impressive tombs as well as a lake, mosque, and glasshouse. The back entrance is 450m away; turn right at the guesthouse gates, then immediately right again, and follow the signs (6-minute walk). Open daily from sunrise to sunset, and entrance is free.
Lutyens Bungalow – The Hotel
All Delhi Hotel Reviews
- Ambassador, New Delhi – IHCL SeleQtions
- Andaz Delhi
- B Nineteen Luxury Hotel
- Holiday Inn New Delhi International Airport
- Hyatt Regency Delhi
- Ibis New Delhi Aerocity Hotel
- The Imperial New Delhi
- La Sagrita
- The LaLiT New Delhi
- Le Méridien New Delhi
- The Leela Ambience Convention Hotel
- The Leela Palace New Delhi
- Lemon Tree Premier, Delhi Airport
- The Lodhi
- The Oberoi New Delhi
- Pride Plaza Hotel Aerocity
- Radisson Blu Marina Hotel Connaught Place
- Shangri-La’s – Eros Hotel
- Taj Mahal, New Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- The Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- The Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- The Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai