by Santorini Dave • Updated: February 11, 2019
OK Divers Resort & Spa – Taste of colonial splendor in a charming village.
Despite the modest moniker, this new resort oozes colonial charm with its whitewashed walls and wood-stained doors in a three-level block. The tropical feel is enhanced by the sloping palms flanking the main pool, but only rooms on the top floor can boast sea views. Each room features a lovely tiled bathroom and shares an extended balcony overlooking the main pool, but some are a little cramped inside. The location is ideal, however: facing the beachside street with its delightful cafés, and only meters from the jetty for speedboats to the Gili Islands. And the appropriately-named Colonial restaurant faces the curved bay and second pool, which is often used by the onsite diving agency.
OK Divers Resort & Spa – The Location
- Address: Jalan Silayukti, the street alongside the beach in Padangbai, a quiet village on the east coast of Bali.
- Area: Excellent position midway along the village: facing the cove, flanked by places to eat and drink, within 100m of the pier for speedboats to the Gili Islands, and walkable to the ferry terminal for Lombok.
- How to Get There: Very few metered taxis and chartered cars will take anyone this far from the airport, so best to arrange a pickup (about 1.5 hours) through the hotel. Many people come on the way to/from the Gili Islands, which is connected by all sorts of speedboat companies. Buy tickets from agencies at either end or compare schedules and buy tickets online. (See under Local Transport later for information about shuttle buses.)
- Handy to: Snorkeling just offshore. Pier for speedboats to the Gili Islands. Terminal for ferries to Lombok Island (9-minute walk).
OK Divers Resort & Spa – The Basics
- Guests: Primarily (but not exclusively) for divers so most guests are younger, but it does try to cater for families.
- Beach: The resort is just across the main street from a pretty cove which is lined with fishing boats and not too practical for swimming or sunbathing. Better options are nearby (see Attractions later).
- Views: Rooms on the ground floor face the main pool (which can get noisy), while only the suites on the top floor are likely to offer any sea views.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided at this sort of midrange hotel in Padangbai.
- Wi-Fi: Available for free throughout for guests.
- Parking: No onsite parking available, but is adjacent to the public carpark where security cannot be guaranteed. However, think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (0)811 385 8830
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: okdiversresort.com
OK Divers Resort & Spa – Amenities
- Pool: 2 pools: 1 in the front facing the street is often used by divers for training, and also available to anyone dining at the restaurant. The pool alongside the reception area is more private, exclusively for guests, and has a swim-up bar.
- Spa: The Green Spa is modest but offers a wide array of treatments using special organic products.
- Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at a midrange hotel of this size in Padangbai.
- Other Facilities: Plenty of other outdoor activities offered, not just scuba-diving. Also, tours around eastern Bali can be arranged through the reception.
OK Divers Resort & Spa – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: Facing the beachside street and alongside the second pool, The Colonial is a stylish café offering an impressive range of meals. Also popular for homemade desserts, happy hours, and daily specials. Diners from outside can use the pool.
- Breakfast: Rates for most rooms include a decent breakfast, but check when booking.
- Room Service: Limited service available during restaurant hours of about 7 am to 9 pm.
OK Divers Resort & Spa – Rooms
- Room Types: Nudibranch Superior Rooms • Seahorse Deluxe Disabled Friendly Rooms • Seahorse Deluxe Rooms • Dolphin Family Rooms • Manta Sea View Suites • Mola-Mola SPA Suite
- Smoking Rooms: Strict no-smoking policy in the rooms and public areas, but OK on the balcony outside the rooms.
- Best Room: The one-only Mola-Mola SPA Suite extends across the top floor, providing the finest views, a separate living room, and private spa.
- For Families: On the ground floor, with close proximity to the main pool, the Dolphin Family Rooms comfortably accommodate 4. The Manta Sea View Suites are also suitable for families.
OK Divers Resort & Spa – Local Transport
- Walking: Padangbai is just a village, so everything is within walking distance.
- Public Transport: Padangbai is about 2km from a junction on the main road along the east coast. Decrepit minibusses stop at this junction on their way to Denpasar or Amlapura (via Candidasa). Motorbike taxis take passengers between the junction and Padangbai, or anywhere else for a negotiable fare.
- Shuttle Bus: The island-wide operator, Perama, offers services to Ubud, Kuta, Candidasa, Amed, and Lovina. The Perama office is now inconveniently located about 500m up the main road from the ferry terminal (6-minute walk). A few locally-operated companies also offer similar services.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: No metered taxis operate in this part of Bali. For day trips or airport transfers, charter a car with a driver from someone on the streets, or better, through the hotel. There’s nowhere to reliably rent a car (which is not recommended anyway), but motorbikes are easy to arrange and an exhilarating way to explore the east coast.
OK Divers Resort & Spa – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Omang Omang Bar and Diner – About 100m up the side-street alongside the hotel. Charming, with plenty of shade, and soothing live music most nights. 2-minute walk.
- Within 250m further up the beachside street are:
- Baguette Bar – Hugely popular for some of Bali’s tastiest baguettes, crepes, and waffles. 1-minute walk.
- Kerti Restaurant (0)363 41391 – Fresh seafood, traditional décor, and the finest views in the immediate area. 1-minute walk.
- La Cabana – Chic bar/bistro with a pool for guests and a focus on Italian food. 2-minute walk.
- Topi Inn – Justifiably popular hangout with bright décor, scrumptious food, and funky music some nights. 4-minute walk.
Shops & Markets
- Minimarts sell basic supplies along the beachside street, but there is nothing much to buy anywhere in Padangbai. Spreading along a road up from the ferry terminal most mornings, the village market is worth a look.
- Padangbai is a delightful base from which to explore the east coast of Bali, including:
- Goa Lawah (7.8km) – Impressive temple with an eerie cave choked with bats. Accessible by public transport from the junction. 12-minute drive.
- Candidasa (13km) – Rival resort region with better facilities. Also accessible by public transport from the junction. 20-minute drive.
- Klungkung (17km) – Regional center with impressive water palace and bustling market just across the road. 27-minute drive.
- Snorkeling – Possible offshore at the main beach, but better at Blue Lagoon Beach, about 800m up along the beachside street. Snorkeling gear can be rented there. 7-minute walk.
- Swimming – The main beach is scenic, but better swimming and sunbathing at Blue Lagoon Beach and the desolate Bias Tugel. The latter is about 1km from the post office (just up from the ferry terminal), via a steep road. 14-minute walk.