Alam – Radiates charisma and personality rarely found in this increasingly hectic region.
The antithesis of a charmless mega resort, this adorable guesthouse offers three definite advantages: with only a handful of rooms, the staff is extremely helpful and friendly; it’s set back from the main road; and it’s excellent value for money. What’s more, rates include breakfast and a free shuttle service to Nusa Dua. Standard Rooms are in a row at the back of the quaint gardens, and for a minimal extra cost, the Superior Rooms are far better – spacious, stylish, mostly separated, and facing the pool.
Alam – The Location
- Area: Along a serene backstreet, about 200m from the beach and water sports kiosks. Great position midway along the peninsula, with plenty of places to eat, drink, and shop within walking distance.
- Address: Jl.Pratama no.71 A. Just off the main road through Tanjung Benoa, a quieter resort region along a peninsula in southern Bali.
- How to Get There: The only way to/from the airport is by metered taxi or chartered car with a driver. This takes about 25 minutes (14 km, via the tollway), depending on traffic.
Alam – The Basics
- Guests: Caters mostly to couples and small groups of all ages seeking an affordable guesthouse.
- Beach: The beach is about 200m away. Cut through one of the resorts along the main road. All beaches in Tanjung Benoa are open to the public, and many are used for water sports.
- Views: Standard Rooms face the garden at the back, while most Superior Rooms overlook the pool.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided at a low-priced guesthouse like this.
- Extras: Daily shuttle service to the beach in Nusa Dua.
- Parking: A couple of spots at the reception area, but think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +62 (0)361 771 767
- Email: Send a message through their website.
- Website: hotelalambali.com
Alam – Amenities
- Pool: Decent size considering there’s only a handful of rooms.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of guesthouse.
Alam – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: Small café at the reception area only offers breakfast to guests.
- Breakfast: Breakfast is included. Decent serve of eggs and fruit.
- Room Service: Complimentary tea served to the rooms from about 7 am to 7 pm.
Alam – Rooms
- Room Types: Standard Room • Superior Room • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking is allowed in the rooms, but is permitted elsewhere.
- Best Room: Of the handful of Superior Rooms, most face the pool (which can get noisy at times). A couple are more secluded and tranquil.
Alam – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: Almost everything required is within walking distance. The main road is long, flat, and comparatively quiet, but very few shops in Tanjung Benoa rent bikes.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: There is no public transport in the area. To reach attractions within southern Bali, metered taxis are cheap and comfortable. Driving a car anywhere in Bali is not recommended, but cars can be rented from a few agencies along the main road, while motorbikes are not as easy to rent as they are elsewhere. For longer distances, hire a car with a driver through the hotel.
- Local Shuttle Buses: No shuttle bus company offers services to/from Tanjung Benoa, including the Kura-Kura Bus. About every hour during shopping time, a free shuttle bus (available to all) links major hotels in Tanjung Benoa with the Bali Collection mall in Nusa Dua (see below). Catch the bus at Hotel Nikko, 400m to the north.
Alam – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Warung Nyoman – On the main road, opposite the access lane to the hotel. Classy and popular, featuring an extended menu and quiet garden setting at the back.
- Mr Bob Beachfront Bar & Grill – Rare seaside setting, with fresh seafood, pork ribs, friendly staff, and live music. About 100m north up the road.
- Coco Bistro – One in an island-wide chain of popular, reliable, and inexpensive cafés. 350m up the road from the hotel.
- Bumbu Bali Tanjung – Glorious traditional setting, authentic Balinese food, and cooking classes. 700m north of the resort.
- Minimarts in both directions, but little else to excite shoppers. So take the free hourly shuttle bus from any resort in Tanjung Benoa to Bali Collection, a delightful outdoor mall in Nusa Dua with department stores, large souvenir shops, and abundant cafés.
- Tanjung Benoa is renowned as the epicenter in Bali for all sorts of activities on and above the water. One of the better places for jet-skiing or parasailing is PT Segara Mas. It is at the end of the lane to the beach which starts about 200m south of the hotel’s access lane.