Greece › Folegandros › Folegandros Hotels
by Santorini Dave • Updated: February 9, 2023
Our Favorite Hotels in Folegandros
• 5-Star Hotel: Anemi
• Boutique Hotel: Onar
• 4-Star Hotel: Chora Resort
• Family Hotel: Chora Resort
• Beach Hotel: Blue Sand
• Sunset View Hotel: Fata Morgana
Chora (the main town) is the best place to stay for first timers in Folegandros. And the Polikandia Hotel is one of the best hotels in Chora.
Folegandros Hotels – Tips & Recommendations
- Folegandros is a rustic, volcanic island that has managed to retain its authenticity despite its proximity to some of the most traveled destinations in Greece, namely Santorini and Mykonos. The landscape is a mix of wild cliffs, unspoiled beaches, and terraced farmland reaching from the hilltops to the sea. Just one paved road connects the island’s three settlements, with dirt roads and hiking trails extending out to the beaches, though several beaches can only be reached by boat. At just 32 square kilometers, the island is compact and walkable with decent bus service to the main villages; however, for those staying outside of the capital, Chora, having a car does make it easier to explore.
- There are no banks in Folegandros and just three ATMs (one at the port town Karavostasis and the other two in Chora). Despite this, many businesses only accept cash, so plan accordingly.
- Best Luxury Hotels in Folegandros: Anemi Hotel • Onar • Chora Resort • Aspalathras White Hotel
- Best Family-Friendly Hotels in Folegandros: Anemi Hotel • Blue Sand • Chora Resort • Folegandros Apartments • Polikandia Hotel
- Best Boutique Hotels in Folegandros: Themonies Luxury Suites • Blue Sand • Anemomilos Boutique Hotel • Lemon Tree Houses • Polikandia • Provalma
- Best Romantic/Honeymoon Hotels in Folegandros: Onar Suites & Villas • Anemi Hotel • Themonies Luxury Suites • Mar Inn • Fata Morgana Studios • Lemon Tree Houses
- Best Beach Hotels in Folegandros: Blue Sand • Onar • Perigiali Rooms & Apartments
- Best Midrange/Budget Hotels in Folegandros: Perigiali Rooms & Apartments • Under the Palm Tree Studios • Ampelos
- The best restaurants on Folegandros are Blue Cuisine (Chora), To Zimaraki (Chora), Pounta (Chora), O Psaromiligkas (Agali), Pasithea (Agali), Sea Sense (Karavostasis), Dal Capo del Porto (Karavostasis), Sinadisi (Ano Meria), Irini’s (Ano Meria), and Folegandros Bakery (Ano Meria).
- Most of Folegandros’ beaches are undeveloped and natural with no restaurants and no shade. Plan to take your own beach gear. Several beaches, sea caves, and swimming spots here are only accessible by boat or a strenuous hike. Make time to visit a few. Katergo Beach is among the most beautiful beaches in the Cyclades, a sand-and-pebble beach located at the bottom of a cliff with impressive rock formations. Chrysospilia is a sea cave filled with not only stalagmites and crystalline waters but also ancient grafitti recording over 400 names mostly from the 4th century BC. Georgitsi’s Cave, filled with coral, sea anemones, and colorful fish, is a popular scuba diving spot.
- Best Towns on Folegandros: Most hotels in Folegandros are found in Chora, the island’s capital and largest village. The village center is inaccessible to cars and is wonderfully walkable, filled with charming squares, tavernas, bars, boutiques, and the historic Kastro neighborhood (oldest part of the town), with the iconic Church of Panagia overlooking it all. Karavostasis is the port town, home to some of the island’s most luxurious hotels, a few good restaurants, and walking distance to five beaches. Agali is the best area for a beach vacation – a sandy beach hugged by cliffs and sheltered from the wind. From here guests can hike or take the boat taxi to a handful of secluded beaches. The second largest village, Ano Meria, is a decentralized farming settlement with no central square (highly unusual for a Cycladic island) but a string of local-style restaurants, boutique hotels, and the Folklore Museum. This village is ideal for getting away from it all and experiencing an authentic Greek way of life.
The 15 Best Hotels in Folegandros
Hotel Phone: +30 22860 41610
Chic, five-star hotel near the port with a huge saltwater infinity pool, saltwater kids pool, and a gourmet Greek restaurant. Services and facilities include a vineyard, tennis and basketball courts, a fitness center with yoga, and Thai massage. Spacious rooms include wet bars, bathtubs, room service, and private balconies or verandas. Suites add Nespresso machines, sitting areas, and sofa beds. The top-end pool suites add mini personal training sets and private pools with excellent sea views. A fantastic a la carte breakfast is always included. Located just 300 meters from Chochlidia Beach and a short walk to restaurants, four more beaches, and the boat to Katergo Beach.
Hotel Phone: +30 22860 41644
Barefoot luxury boutique hotel overlooking the sea with a private path to Vardia Beach. Owned by an architect and built on his historic family farm plot, the design-forward suites and villa all feature kitchenettes and private terraces or balconies with sunbeds and an outdoor water feature: a jacuzzi in the President Suite, jetted plunge pools in the Superior and Honeymoon Suites, and a glass-walled jacuzzi in Villa Volta (above). Views are over the port or toward Santorini. Luxe perks include twice-daily cleaning, a helipad, an open-air gym, complimentary afternoon refreshments, and complimentary arrival/departure transfers. Walking distance to five beaches, the ferry port, the boat to Katergo Beach, and a handful of restaurants.
Hotel Phone: +30 22860 41118
Located a quick walk away from the bars, shops, and restaurants of Chora, this good value, family-run hotel has modern, elegant rooms and suites with sea views and balconies. Suites add spacious terraces, while the Maris Private Residence (villa next door) adds a fully-equipped kitchen, outdoor shower, and outdoor jacuzzi. There’s a heated, saltwater pool with a jacuzzi and a pool bar with light fare, beverages, and sunset drinks. The hotel offers a free pick-up/drop-off for guests from the ferry port as well as free parking on site.
Chora is filled with restaurants, activity, and charm and is the best place to stay for first time visitors.
Hotel Phone: +30 22860 41322
Inviting, family-run, boutique hotel with smart rooms and suites with character (traditional art, rock/wood elements) having mini-fridges, tea and coffee facilities, and balconies. Top-end suites add bathtubs, kitchenettes, and an extra balcony. Luxe extras include pillow menus and orthopedic mattresses, with the option to swap them out for ultra-soft mattresses. Has a good-sized pool with an attached jacuzzi, cafe and bar, and gardens. The hotel is a short walk away from a bus stop, shops, and restaurants. Owners pay great attention to detail and serve a lovely, homemade breakfast on request.
Hotel Phone: +30 69384 43481
Romantic, pet-friendly, boutique hotel with an infinity pool at the far end of Ano Meria village. The five houses here were built in the cubic, Cycladic style with contemporary, minimalistic furnishings, all with kitchenettes, walk-in showers, and two private terraces. An a la carte breakfast is included in the room rate, and its all-day restaurant serves Greek-Mediterranean fare and excellent cocktails. Located just a short walk from a handful of excellent tavernas and the island’s best bakery and centrally located to the hiking trails for five remote beaches (30 to 45 minutes of hiking; most people will want to drive part of the way).
Hotel Phone: +30 22860 41042
Minimalistic boutique hotel above a beach cove with refreshing, cosmopolitan rooms and suites having walk-in showers and balconies with sea views. The top-end suites feature large, partially shaded terraces with outdoor sitting areas and designer day beds. The all-day restaurant and bar serve fresh Mediterranean fare along with Greek wines and signature cocktails. Situated on the hillside overlooking Agali Beach, near a few excellent seafood tavernas and cafes, and on the walking trail to Galifos and Agios Nikolaos Beaches.
Hotel Phone: +30 22860 41517
Eco-chic boutique hotel set in a group of lovingly restored, 19th-century themonies, local-style homsteads of farming families. Each suite features a kitchenette, dining and sitting areas, and a private terrace or yard with teak furniture. The villa has a full kitchen, second bedroom, and its 500 square meter yard has a dining area and the original threshing floor (among the best preserved in the Cyclades). The hotel offers an art gallery, complimentary port/helipad transfers, and a kitchen and lounge serving light fare and drinks. A homemade breakfast is always included and served directly to the suites. Quiet location on the edge of Chora, but just a short 500 meters to the village center for dining, nightlife, and historic sights.
Hotel Phone: +30 22860 41309
Family-owned boutique hotel with a free-form pool perched dramatically on the cliff beneath the landmark Church of Panagia. Elegantly appointed studios feature open-plan layouts with kitchenettes and at least one balcony or terrace; open-plan and one-bedroom suites have larger balconies and panoramic sea views. Guests are served poolside by a casual, Greek-international, all-day restaurant and bar with Greek wines and sunset cocktails. Supreme location near the iconic church’s zigzagging trailhead and just a short walk to Chora’s center.
Hotel Phone: +30 22860 41237
Boutique hotel built amphitheatrically on the cliffside with breathtaking sunset sea views from every studio. No two rooms are alike, though all include a kitchenette, open-style shower, and a private terrace overlooking the sea; many have sea views from the beds. At the center of the hotel is a deep swimming pool served by a pool bar throughout the day; in the evening the poolside terrace is incredibly popular for sunset cocktails. Convenient location in Chora, less than a 5-minute walk to the restaurants, shops, and attractions in the heart of the village.
Hotel Phone: +30 22860 41239
Tranquil boutique hotel featuring spotless, beautifully appointed studios and suites with red tile floors, kitchenettes, and terraces or balconies. The Deluxe Suite has two private terraces, while the Family Suite spreads over two floors and adds a second bathroom. Facilities include a large pool with an attached jacuzzi and a pool bar serving light bites and drinks from morning to night. Folegandros Apartments is the closest hotel to the iconic Church of Panagia and is just a short walk to dining and the historic Kastro neighborhood.
Folegandros has plenty of beaches and swimming coves that are easily visited on day trips from Chora. This is Galifos Beach.
Hotel Phone: +30 22860 41590
This upscale, family-friendly resort boasts the largest pool on the island, along with a jacuzzi and mini-golf. Guests are served throughout the day by a Greek restaurant, pool bar, and dessert cafe; an American-style buffet breakfast is always included in the room rates. All rooms include a private patio or terrace. Deluxe Rooms and all suites add jacuzzi bathtubs, while two-bedroom suites have an additional private balcony. Located across from the island’s only winery, amazing restaurants, and just a short walk from the village’s pedestrian core.
Hotel Phone: +30 22860 41544
Family-run hotel with an infinity pool and sun terrace, having no-frills, basic rooms and one villa with tiled floors, mini-fridges, and balconies with village, mountain monastery, and sea views. The villa has a kitchen, dining room, and multiple balconies. Serves a simple breakfast, and Chora town is a short walk away.
Hotel Phone: +30 22860 41132
Secluded, family-run, 5-studio property having immaculate, large studios set around a pool, with wood beam ceilings, well-equipped kitchens (cooking hobs and ovens), and small, private terraces with sea views. Owners deliver a superb homemade breakfast basket to the room. Peaceful hotel but its remote location puts the closest restaurants and markets about a 15-minute walk away. While there are local bus services, it’s best to have your own transport to visit the nearby beaches and other areas.
Hotel Phone: +30 22860 41670
Graceful, Cycladic-style hotel, whitewashed inside and out, with a pool, snack bar, and fitness center. Rooms and suites offer private balconies or terraces and jacuzzi baths (oddly, some don’t have showers). Breakfast is served at the sister property, Chora Resort Hotel & Spa, a short walk away. Fantastic location near the winery, restaurants, and just a short walk to the heart of Chora.
Hotel Phone: +30 69407 27906
Just two cozy studios and a café make up this affordable apartment stay in rustic Ano Meria. Studios have kitchenettes, dining tables, private patios, and ocean views. One has a queen-sized bed, and the other has a queen and two twins. The café serves delicious brunch and lunch with outstanding coffee and refreshing cocktails. Relaxed location in Ano Meria near two tavernas, the quaint Folklore Museum, and about a 15-minute walk to Folegandros Bakery, the best bakery on the island.
Agali Bay is one of the best swimming spots on Folegandros. The Blue Sand Boutique Hotel is in the bay just off the photo to the left.