• Affiliate Disclosure: All hotel links on my site are affiliate links meaning I earn a small fee when you book a hotel. (There is never any extra cost to you for using these links).
• Charitable Giving: I use some of these earnings for my monthly donation.
• Updates: Get my free newsletter and all new travel guides, maps & hotel reviews.
Matera Hotels – Tips and Advice
- Booking.com – the best site for booking Matera hotels.
- Best Luxury Hotel in Matera: Palazzo Gattini
- Best Boutique Hotel in Matera: Palazzotto Residence & Winery
- Best Honeymoon Hotel in Matera: Sextantio Le Grotte Della Civita
- Best Cheap Hotel in Matera: Hotel Residence San Giorgio
- Best Hotel for Families in Matera: Sassisuite
- Best Villa in Basilicata: Palazzo Margherita
The 11 Best Hotels in Matera, Italy
The best modern luxury hotel in Matera with beautiful suites, stunning views, and a great location right beside the Duomo. The spa and Turkish bath are wonderful.
The most romantic cave hotel in Matera. Absolutely stunning. The original cave dwellings have been restored to luxurious perfection.
Magical! These original cave houses were redone by a local architect and no hotel in Matera feels quite so authentic. If forced to choose, I’d say this is the best boutique hotel in Matera. (The Family Suite is huge and sleeps a family of four.)
Beautiful cave hotel located in the ancient Sasso Caveoso and surrounded by impossibly tangled alleys and stairwells. (The Suite with Terrace is one of the better cave rooms in Matera for families.)
Beautiful cave suites in the heart of the Sassi of Matera and within an easy walk of the major landmarks.
A converted aristocratic residence with a splendid courtyard and ideal location. Perched high above the Sassi with some of the best views of any hotel in Matera.
Once a church, then an aristocratic house, and now a boutique hotel. Located in the Sasso Barisano and within walking distance of all of central Matera. Several suites have private indoor hot tubs.
A classic Italian-style B&B but with plenty of luxury. Beautiful views over the Sassi and Old Town. (The Standard Suite sleeps a family of five. The One-Bedroom suites sleeps a family of four.)
Brand new hotel stylishly detailed and decorated. The breakfast cave room is the something out of a dream. The suites with private jacuzzis and plunge pools are worth the upgrade.
10. B&B Solosud
One of the best Matera hotels in the mid-range category. And owner Paola makes it feel like a home. The catch is it gets fully booked far in advance – even in the low season. (Superior Doubles have 2 single beds, 1 double bed, and sleep a family of four.)
Located a 45 minute drive from Matera this idyllic hilltop setting in the village of Bernalda feels more like a country home than a hotel. Francis Ford Coppola discovered the forgotten palazzo while visiting his grandfather’s hometown and restored it to stunning perfection – though keeping all the original art work and furnishings. Suites are huge and there’s a nice swimming pool. Meals are marvelous homemade creations and one of the highlights of staying here.