Our Favorite Meteora Hotels
• Luxury Hotel: Doupiani House (Kastraki)
• Boutique Hotel: Holy Spirit (Kastraki)
• Cheap Hotel: Kosta Famissi (Kalambaka)
• Best for Families: Monastiri (Kalambaka) • Petrino (Kastraki)
• Best for Hikers: Vavitsas (Kastraki) • Mythos (Kalambaka)
• Best for Honeymoon: Tsikeli (Kastraki)
• Best Pool: Divani (Kalambaka)
• Near Train Station: Monastiri (Kalambaka)
- The Meteora is a spectacular giant rock formation crowned with a collection of beautiful centuries-old monasteries built atop dizzying cliffs. Of the 24 original monasteries, 6 are still active and open to the public to tour. The area is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is located in central Greece, roughly 4 hours from Athens by car and 3 from Thessaloniki.
- There are two main areas to stay in when visiting the Meteora: the town of Kalambaka and the village of Kastraki. In a nutshell, Kastraki offers more charm and Kalambaka has more commerce; both have plenty of great hotels and restaurants and daily bus service to the monasteries. It takes only 15 minutes to walk (or a very short bus/taxi ride) between the two, making it easy to stay in one location and visit the other.
- The best way to experience the Meteora Monasteries is through a guided tour. There are a few companies that offer similar tours out of Kalambaka/Kastraki, and they’re all excellent. We like Visit Meteora. A classic (and highly recommended) combination is to take their 5-Hour Hiking Tour in the morning, followed by an evening Sunset Tour.
- A strict dress code is enforced inside the monasteries: skirts hitting below the knee for women and long pants or below-the-knee shorts for men are required; sleeveless clothing is prohibited for both. Skirts and shawls are generally available to borrow or buy at the entrance of monasteries for the unprepared.
- Best Restaurants near the Meteora: Meteora Restaurant (Kalambaka), Taverna Gardenia (Kastraki), Meteoron Panorama (between Kalambaka & Kastraki).
- Booking.com is the best website for searching and booking hotels near the Meteora.
Staying near the Meteora
Kalambaka (also spelled Kalabaka) and Kastraki are the two closest towns to the stunning Meteora Monasteries. Both have plenty of hotels and restaurants, tourist facilities, and access to the monasteries by daily bus, tour shuttles, taxi, and hiking trails.
It’s an easy 15-minute walk between the two areas, along a main, well-lit road with good sidewalks. If it’s really hot or you’ve got lots of luggage in tow, taxis are plentiful.
Kalambaka is the commercial hub of the area, and bustles with activity. The train station and bus station are both in Kalambaka, so if you’re coming from Athens this is the easiest area to find a hotel. While both Kalambaka and Kastraki both have great restaurants, Kalambaka has greater variety; fast food, pubs, and pizza joints share the streets with traditional Greek tavernas. Although the hotels along the town’s main drag tend to be touristy and somewhat lacking in charm, the service can be excellent and there are some good deals to be had here. For a more authentic-feeling stay within Kalambaka, seek out lodging just above the town center where traditional guesthouses nestle in the Meteora’s looming shadows.
Aside from good dining and proximity to the monasteries, Kalambaka also offers a handful of interesting and family-friendly facilities that cater to tourists, such as the Natural History and Mushroom Museum, Greek Education Museum, and the Meteoron Digital Projection Center, which offers free 3D film presentations about the formation and history of the area. In the upper, older section of town stands the Byzantine Church of the Dormition of Virgin Mary, which dates back to the 4th century and incorporates many unique artistic and architectural features from its numerous restorations over the past 1700 years.
If charm is what you’re after then Kastraki wins hands-down. Quaint, red-roofed buildings line twisty lanes here, winding up through leafy foothills to the Monasteries. Kastraki’s pretty town square is at the heart of the village, adjacent to the picturesque Church of Peter and Paul, a children’s playground, and the pink-clad Museum of Geologic Formations – housed within the village’s former primary school building.
In Kastraki, quaint hotels and guesthouses are nestled beside single family homes and family-owned tavernas and bakeries, allowing visitors to experience the serenity of village life for a few days. In lieu of traffic, expect crowing roosters, rustling leaves, and church bells as background noise. In the evening, the central square becomes a gathering spot for local kids to practice their soccer moves and older men to gather and shoot the breeze. Still, it’s an easy 15-minute walk from here to Kalambaka, so you’re never too far from the center of the action.
The 13 Best Hotels near the Meteora
All of the hotels listed below are within a short walk of several restaurants and put you within easy access to the monasteries.
Best Hotels in Kalambaka
1. Divani Meteora Hotel – Kalambaka
Hotel phone: +30 2432 023330
Large modern hotel with 165 guest rooms and two pools. Rooms are spacious, with wood floors, stylish contemporary decor, and balconies; many have great Meteora views. Recreational facilities include a large outdoor pool (with pool bar), indoor pool and hot tub (age 16+), fitness center, steam room, and sauna. The hotel is pet-friendly, has e-vehicle charging stations, and offers complimentary breakfast and valet parking. On-site restaurant and cocktail bar, too. Located a short walk from the train station in the eastern edge of town.
• Hotel Website • Check prices for Divani Meteora Hotel
2. Theatro Hotel Odysseon – Kalambaka
Hotel phone: +30 2432 094444
Comfortable, fully-renovated hotel with a theater theme. Each classically-styled guest room is inspired by a different classical play; all have balconies, deluxe and premium rooms add jetted tubs. The Meteora Suite features a double jacuzzi, large dining table, living room, and spacious terrace. There’s a Greek restaurant and snack bar on site, as well as an outdoor jacuzzi bar, great breakfast buffet, and Meteora views from many rooms. Located in northwest Kalambaka, 6 minutes from the bus station and 15 from the train station on foot.
• Hotel Website • Check prices for Theatro Hotel Odysseon
3. Mythos Guesthouse – Kalambaka
Hotel phone: +30 2432 023952
Charming traditional guesthouse with cozy rooms and a great taverna attached. Seven individually decorated rooms sleep 2 or 3; all have balconies with Meteora views, some have fireplaces or traditional features like wooden beamed ceilings. The friendly owner is helpful with tips about the surrounding area. Very close to the local bus stop, as well as the Byzantine church and the footpath to Saint Stefanos and Holy Trinity monasteries.
• Hotel Website • Check prices for Mythos Guesthouse
4. Monastiri Guesthouse – Kalambaka
Hotel phone: +30 2432 023952
Friendly and picturesque monastery-style hotel with outdoor pool. Along with traditional rustic wood and stone styling, many guest rooms have fireplaces; some suites sleep up to 5. In addition to the large outdoor pool, this hotel features a bar/lounge with fireplace, charming breakfast room (with complimentary homemade buffet), and lovely garden on site. Accessible location behind the train station, an easy 5 to 10-minute walk to the center of town.
• Hotel Website • Check prices for Monastiri Guesthouse
5. Hotel Kosta Famissi – Kalambaka
Hotel phone: +30 2432 079192
Friendly budget hotel in the center of town. Rooms sleep 1-4 and are comfortable and well-appointed; upper rooms have wonderful Meteora views. The somewhat kitschy decor and outdated style is made up for by exceptional service from the super accommodating staff. Great central location, steps from tavernas, bars, and cafes; a 10-minute walk from the train station.
• Hotel Website • Check prices for Hotel Kosta Famissi
Best Hotels in Kastraki
6. Hotel Doupiani House – Kastraki
Hotel phone: +30 2432 077555
Elegant hotel with fantastic views. Double or triple rooms are offered; all with traditional decor, many with mountain and Meteora-view balconies. The hotel’s beautiful common spaces include a lobby lounge and bar with fireplace, a garden patio with incredible views, and a charming breakfast room where an excellent buffet is served daily. Serene location on the village outskirts, a 10-minute walk to the heart of Kastraki.
• Hotel Website • Check prices for Hotel Doupiani House
7. Tsikeli Hotel Meteora (adults only) – Kastraki
Hotel phone: +30 2432 022438
Charming, eco-friendly hotel near the heart of Kastraki village. Stylish guest rooms incorporate earthy stone and timber details with modern furnishings; some have balconies, hot tubs, or saunas. There’s a garden terrace and café on the property, and car and e-bike rentals can be arranged through the hotel. Excellent location near the village square and bus stop, walkable to hiking trails and monasteries.
• Hotel Website • Check prices for Tsikeli Hotel
8. Pyrgos Adrachti – Kastraki
Hotel phone: +30 2432 022275
10-room, family-run hotel set in a quiet location at one of the highest points of the village, with incredible pine forest views of the Meteora and Pindus mountain range. Individually-decorated rooms incorporate traditional carved-wood furnishings and sleep 2 or 3 guests. Common spaces include a cozy fireplace lounge and lobby bar, breakfast room, and mountain-view terrace.
• Hotel Website • Check prices for Pyrgos Adrachti
9. Boutique Holy Spirit – Kastraki
Hotel phone: +30 2432 022504
Excellent, newly-renovated family-run hotel in the heart of Kastraki village. Rooms sleep 2 to 4 and are stylishly decorated, with modern, well-appointed bathrooms and comfortable beds; many include balconies with Meteora views. Light breakfasts are available in the hotel’s cozy meeting area, and one of the village’s best tavernas is just out front. Outstanding hospitality is the icing on the cake. Great central location across from the church and village square.
• Hotel Website • Check prices for Boutique Holy Spirit
10. Petrino Guesthouse – Kastraki
Hotel phone: +30 2432 078105
Wonderful rustic guesthouse just under the Meteora in Kastraki’s upper village. This historic stone building from 1845 has been fully restored, featuring traditional details like wooden ceilings and staircases and stone arches. Its 5 lovely guest rooms all have balconies with fantastic views; 3 add fireplaces and 1 has a jacuzzi bath. A fantastic Greek breakfast is served daily, and there’s a great little bistro just across the street. 5-minute walk to the heart of the village.
• Hotel Website • Check prices for Petrino Guesthouse
11. Hotel Kastraki – Kastraki
Hotel phone: +30 2432 075336
Great traditional hotel in an impressive location on the main road, just a few minutes from St. Nicholaos Monastery. Spacious and elegantly-decorated rooms feature rich wood detailing and balconies; family rooms and suites sleep 4. A daily breakfast buffet is served in the sprawling lobby lounge, which also has a bar and fireplace. The hotel owners also run a fantastic Greek taverna, just down the road.
• Hotel Website • Check prices for Hotel Kastraki
12. Archontiko Mesohori – Kastraki
Hotel phone: +30 2432 077125
Sitting above the central village in a quiet location with excellent Meteora views, Archontiko Mesohori offers 6 traditionally decorated suites sleeping 2 or 3, each named after an ancient Greek goddess. All suites have kitchenettes and fireplaces; common spaces include a sitting room with fireplace and a furnished garden courtyard. A traditional homemade breakfast is served daily.
• Hotel Website • Check prices for Archontiko Mesohori
13. Guesthouse Vavitsas – Kastraki
Hotel phone: +30 2432 078301
Great hotel near the Meteora hiking trails. Guestrooms (sleeping 1 to 2 guests) feature elegant traditional decor, modern bathrooms, and balconies with Meteora views. Hot coffee is available all day in the guesthouse, with lunch and dinner served at their nearby restaurant, just 150 ft away. Super convenient location, with hiking trails and the village center both within a 5-minute walk.
• Hotel Website • Check prices for Guesthouse Vavitsas
- Greece Travel Guide
- Mainland Greece Travel Guide
- Athens Travel Guide
- Mykonos Travel Guide
- Santorini Travel Guide
- Best Greek Beaches
- Best Hotels in Athens
- Best Hotels in Corfu
- Best Hotels in Crete
- Best Hotels in Delphi
- Best Hotels in Folegandros
- Best Hotels in Ios
- Best Hotels in Kefalonia
- Best Hotels in Kos
- Best Hotels in Milos
- Best Hotels in Mykonos
- Best Hotels in Naxos
- Best Hotels in Paros
- Best Hotels in Rhodes
- Best Hotels in Santorini
- Best Hotels in Serifos
- Best Hotels in Sifnos
- Best Hotels in Skiathos
- Best Hotels in Skopelos
- Best Hotels in Thessaloniki
- Best Hotels in Zakynthos