Greece › Meteora › Best Restaurants
by Santorini Dave • Updated: August 5, 2022
• Best Meteora Hotels
• Meteora Travel Guide
• Mainland Greece Travel Guide
• Athens Travel Guide
Meteora Tips & Recommendations
- There are two main areas to stay in when visiting the Meteora: the town of Kalambaka and the village of Kastraki. In a nutshell, Kastraki offers more charm and Kalambaka has more commerce; both have plenty of great hotels and restaurants and daily bus service to the monasteries. It takes only 15 minutes to walk (or a very short bus/taxi ride) between the two, making it easy to stay in one location and visit the other.
- Best Hotels near the Meteora: Hotel Doupiani House (Kastraki), Divani Meteora (Kalambaka)
- The best way to experience the Meteora Monasteries is through a guided tour. There are a few companies that offer similar tours out of Kalambaka/Kastraki, and they’re all excellent. We like Visit Meteora. A classic (and highly recommended) combination is to take their 5-Hour Hiking Tour in the morning, followed by an evening Sunset Tour.
- A strict dress code is enforced inside the monasteries: skirts hitting below the knee for women and long pants or below-the-knee shorts for men are required; sleeveless clothing is prohibited for both. Skirts and shawls are generally available to borrow or buy at the entrance of monasteries for the unprepared.
- Booking.com is the best website for searching and booking hotels near the Meteora.
The 11 Best Places to Eat in Kalambaka and Kastraki
Best Restaurants in Kalambaka
1. Meteoron Panorama – Kalambaka • $$-$$$
With delicious food, exceptional friendly service, and the best restaurant views in Kalambaka, Meteoron Panorama is Meteora’s “don’t-miss” restaurant. The menu features updated versions of classic Greek dishes at a good variety of price points; standouts include the slow cooked baby lamb, clay-pot beef, and truffle risotto. Decor inside is stylish and cozy, but call ahead to make reservations for terrace seating, where the stunning rocky backdrop seems close enough to touch. Located at the western end of Kalambaka along the road to Kastraki.
+30 2432 078128
2. Meteora Restaurant – Kalambaka • $$-$$$
Family-owned since 1925, Meteora Restaurant was one of the original restaurants in the area and still one of the best. The Gkertsou family offers a menu full of their grandmother’s specialties, including eggplant saganaki, moussaka, and homemade sausage. Plenty of options for vegetarians and vegans, too. Its beautiful rustic interior and large leafy patio – with singing birds – ensure a perfect ambience year-round. Conveniently located on Town Hall Square, near the local bus stop, taxi stand, and tourist information center.
+30 2432 022316
3. Valia Calda – Kalambaka • $$-$$$
Amid so many traditional tavernas offering similar items, Valia Calda goes hyper-local, specializing in the traditional cuisine of the Vlach people of the Meteora region. Originating in the surrounding mountains, these recipes incorporate ingredients like wild herbs and mushrooms, locally-grown produce, river trout, and lamb to create dishes that are at once ancient and thoroughly modern. This is one of the Meteora’s best restaurants for vegans, with many animal-free options on the menu. Great central location on Kalambaka’s east end, just a 10-minute walk from the train station.
+30 2432 300930
4. Patisserie Rompos – Kalambaka • $
A gem of a desserts shop, located right on the main drag. Rombos makes an excellent stop for something sweet, with mouth-watering wares that range from exquisite cakes and pastries to gelato to traditional local Halva – a soft, traditional confection that’s a must-try. There’s a reason it’s stayed in business since 1924.
+30 2432 022269
5. The Diner & Cocktail Bar – Kalambaka • $$
A good bet for a great meal when you’re looking for something beyond the traditional taverna, The Diner offers something for everyone, at just about any time. Open at 10am for breakfast and til the wee hours slinging excellent cocktails, their menu ranges from burgers and sandwiches to pizzas to pancakes to salads, with a surprising amount of creative vegan dishes on offer. Centrally located just off Dimoula Square, the heart of Kalambaka’s late night party scene.
+30 2432 075728
6. Taverna to Paramithi – Kalambaka • $$
Taverna to Paramithi has all the trappings of a great Greek taverna: traditional cuisine, rustic interior, and a charming vine-covered patio – often with live music in the evenings. If ambience is what you’re after, it’s worth the few minutes’ walk west of the town center to visit this local gem.
+30 2432 024441
7. Feel the Rocks – Kalambaka • $$-$$$
Sleek and stylish all day cafe/restaurant/bar with a fabulous rooftop terrace. Feel the Rocks offers a wide-ranging international menu of American brunch standards, burgers and sandwiches, pasta dishes, and grilled meats, with standout dishes that include orzo with mushrooms and chicken teriyaki. Their cocktail game is strong, with classics and innovative originals (both alcoholic and non) crafted to perfection at the rooftop bar. Cigars and shisha, too. Located right on Dimoula Square, with great Meteora views.
+30 2432 079171
Best Restaurants in Kastraki
8. Qastiro – Kastraki • $$
Set within a rustic stone building on the serene top edge of Kastraki village, mellow Qastiro is equal parts homespun and sophisticated, with a well-curated menu that offers light bistro fare (including great pizza) and a wide variety of beverages – from fresh juices and coffee to local spirits and terrific cocktails. Indoor decor is cozy and welcoming, and the views of Holy Spirit rock from the stone dining terrace can’t be beat.
+30 2432 078062
9. Taverna Gardenia – Kastraki • $$
Top-notch taverna fare in the heart of the village. The Plakia family has owned and run this traditional tavern since the 1930’s, serving up well-executed and comforting dishes like moussaka, pork souvlaki, and stuffed peppers within a vibrant and welcoming atmosphere. The excellent wait staff make you feel as though you’re one of the family too. Great central village location just across from the church.
+30 6972 700698
10. Batalogianni Zoi – Kastraki • $$
Unassuming steps lead from street level down through the dining room of this lovely family-run taverna in the central village; out back is a beautiful garden patio with fantastic views of the Meteora and upper village. Savor these views while also enjoying a traditional menu of grilled meats and vegetable dishes – the stuffed eggplant, in particular, is delicious – and a good selection of local wines.
+30 2432 023253
11. Efrosino – Kastraki • $$-$$$
Efrosino sits in the shade of a large tree at the start of Kastraki village, with its bright and breezy patio front and center. Traditional Greek favorites are lovingly prepared here, and the atmosphere is homey and charming. Large portions, friendly service, great prices.
+30 2432 078131
Get All New Content• My Travel Newsletter