Our Favorite Hotels in Praiano
Best Places to Stay in Praiano
- Relaxed Praiano sits on the coast between Positano to the west and Amalfi to the east. Less famous than its neighbors, Praiano offers a calm respite from those bustling scenes (especially in August when Positano becomes a veritable sardine-can of tourists). Here you’ll find a pair of beaches, a handful of ornate, centuries-old churches, and quaint, art-filled pathways connecting them all. The Praiano area is shaped like a V and spreads out about 1.5 kilometers between the two top ends of the V. The bottom point of the V is a little over one kilometer to either of the top ends. Central Praiano makes up the eastern half of the V, while the hamlet of Vettica Maggiore makes up the western half of the V. Praiano gets the sunrise; Vettica Maggiore gets the sunset.
- Though less traveled, there’s plenty to do in Praiano (and at about half the price you’ll find in Positano). The beaches here tend to be small and pebbly, but the water is incredibly clear with fewer tour boats and no ferries stopping here to cloud the sea. Marina di Praia (or just La Praia) is the main beach of central Praiano, home to a casual beach club, a free beach area, a dive center, and a handful of family-run restaurants. Popular Il Pirata beach club is on the footpath heading back toward town. The main landmark of central Praiano is the 16th-century Church of San Luca Evangelista, known for its elaborate maiolica floor, precious artworks, and silver reliquary bust of the town’s patron saint. The town itself is made of a terraced network of drivable roads, footpaths, and stairways. The eight most popular walking paths are part of the NaturArte Routes, a sort of open air art museum featuring colorful ceramic works of traditional life, mythology, sea creatures, and more. Head west to Vettica Maggiore to reach the best known church of the area, gorgeous San Gennaro, with its dome and bell tower patterned in maiolica. The main beach here is La Gavitella, home to One Fire Beach, the best daytime party club on the Amalfi Coast.
- The best hotel in central Praiano is Hotel Onda Verde. The best hotel in Vettica Maggiore is Casa Angelina.
- As mentioned, there is no ferry service in Praiano. But buses to Amalfi and Positano run all day on the main road. Note that you cannot buy bus tickets on the bus. Bus tickets can be purchased before your ride at tobacco shops (tabaccherie), newspaper stands, souvenir shops, bars, and cafes. Or drop in at the charming Bob Art and Winery to pick up bus tickets, along with handmade ceramics (made by Bob) and a lovingly curated assortment of local wine.
The 4 Best Hotels in Praiano
1. Casa Angelina – Luxury
Hotel phone: +39 089 813 1333
Luxury boutique hotel on a cliff with an outdoor, sea-view pool, a private boat, and organic garden, a wellness center with a heated, indoor pool, and a guests-only space at the beach club below. Poolside, guests will find a casual, Mediterranean restaurant and cocktail lounge, while the panoramic rooftop offers a Campanian-Italian fine dining experience under the stars. Private dining and garden picnics on offer; a champagne breakfast buffet is always included. Breezy, light-filled rooms and suites include sea views and balconies or terraces; suites have separate showers and tubs. Eudesea Experience rooms are converted fishermen’s cabins carved out from the cliffside halfway between the main hotel and the beach club. The hotel’s art-forward, contemporary design and decor contrasts with other luxury hotels in the region. Serene location in Vettica Maggiore just a 5-minute walk to the 16th-century, Renaissance-style, maiolica-domed Church of San Gennaro.
2. Grand Hotel Tritone – Luxury
Hotel phone: +39 089 874 333
Elegant hotel since 1957 with a spa, its own serviced beach, and two saltwater pools (one in the main building and one at the beach club). Rooms and suites are all unique in size, shape, and decor, but all feature sea views and private balconies or terraces. Accommodations can have walk-in showers, shower/tub combos, or separate soaking tubs; suites have separate living areas and larger beds. Two Mediterranean restaurants feature regional dishes of Amalfi made with locally sourced ingredients and are complemented by a well-curated array of wines and masterfully crafted cocktails. Quiet location on the northwest edge of Vettica Maggiore. The hotel provides a free shuttle service into central Praiano and sits about a five-minute walk from two bus stops with routes to Positano and Amalfi. Its private boat offers excursions to Capri and along the Amalfi Coast
3. Il Piccolo Sant’Andrea – Luxury
Hotel phone: +39 089 813 087
Set just outside of Vettica Maggiore, this luxe boutique hotel boasts panoramic views from Praiano to Positano and out to Capri and the tiny archipelago of Li Galli, mythological home of the sirens. Rooms and suites have sea or garden views and come with private balconies or terraces with outdoor showers (and of course, indoor showers, too). Most rooms have dual vanities and jetted tubs; some have outdoor jacuzzis. Posh facilities include a seasonal outdoor pool (open from June to September), indoor pool in the spa, and an outdoor gym. The all-day restaurant serves refined Campanian-Italian fare highlighting local, seasonal produce, while a smaller, garden restaurant serves casual, light snacks. Breakfast is always included. The location may feel remote to some (about 30 minutes on foot to reach town), but the hotel offers complimentary shuttle service to both Praiano and Positano, and the bus stop right at the main gate serves Amalfi.
4. Hotel Onda Verde and Villa Corallium– Luxury
Hotel phone: +39 089 874 125
Two four-star hotels share the same facilities here: an infinity pool, outdoor massage area, and sun terrace with dazzling views over the sea. The restaurant, Franchino, specializes in simple yet refined Central and Southern Italian cuisine made with care, along with regional wines. Rooms are on the cozy side and designed for two guests, most with sea views, balconies or terraces, and walk-in showers (some have shower/tub combos). One room type at Onda Verde (the Superior Triple Room) can accommodate up to three guests. Great location at the northeastern edge of Praiano near La Praia Beach, with several restaurants reachable within a pleasant five to 15-minute walk. The Church of San Luca Evangelista is around 20 minutes away on foot.