Crete With Kids – Where To Stay
- Booking.com – the best website (and best prices) for booking hotels in Crete.
- Where To Stay in Crete for Families: My favorite towns in Crete are Chania (beautiful, romantic, charming) and Agios Nikolaos (beautiful, relaxing, less expensive). Rethymnon is a less-polished, less touristy version of Chania. Elounda is a beautiful high-end beach resort. Heraklion is a little gritty, less picturesque, but definitely worth a visit. Knossos (just outside Heraklion) is the top historical site on the island.
- Best Hotel for Families in Chania: Palazzo Duca
- Best Hotel for Families in Heraklion: Aquila Atlantis Hotel
- Best Hotel for Families in Rethymnon: Atlantis Beach Hotel
- Best Hotel for Families in Elounda: Elounda Mare Relais & Châteaux Hotel
- Best Cheap Hotels for Families in Crete: Sea & City Apartments (Chania) – huge suites a short walk to the beach and Old Town • Mantraki Hotel Apartments (Agios Nikolaos) – great budget hotel with large family rooms.
- Water Parks in Crete: Limnoupolis (Chania) • WaterCity (Heraklion, the largest on Crete) • Aqua Plus (Hersonissos) • Star Beach (Hersonissos)
- The best kid-friendly beach on Crete is the incredible Elafonisi beach. It’s about a 90 minute drive from Chania by bus or car.
The 11 Best Kid-Friendly Hotels in Crete
1. Amirandes, Grecotel Exclusive Resort – Gouves
Upscale, opulent resort with an extensive accommodation range having comfortable family suites (up to 4 people) and Grand Beach Residences (group of 8 people). Family suites have spaces separated by sliding doors, terraces, a garden and pool. The massive residence has 2 infinity pools, jacuzzis and landscaped gardens. Hotel is built around a lagoon and has an Olympic-sized seawater pool. Hotel Phone: +30 28970 41103.
2. Doge Traditional Hotel – Chania
Renovated Venetian house, centrally located in old town Chania, featuring inviting, rustic Junior Suites (family of 4) and split-level Suites (family of 5) with tiled floors, wooden ceilings, wrought iron furnishings, 4-poster beds (some), kitchenettes, fridges and tea/coffee makers. Has a great roof terrace and everything is within walking distance – harbor, restaurants, shops, markets and more. Hotel Phone: +30 28210 95466.
3. Palazzo Duca – Chania
Well-located in Chania old town, close to the Old Venetian Harbor, this charming hotel features quaint, spacious suites (family of 4) with parquet floors, wood beam ceilings, sofabeds, fridges, basic kitchenettes, and balconies. Has one top floor suite with a jacuzzi on the patio. Many restaurants, bars, and tavernas are a short stroll away. Hotel Phone: +30 28210 70460.
4. Elounda Bay Palace – Elounda
Chic, beachfront hotel with breezy, 2-bedroom family suites and 3-bedroom penthouse suites (both sleep family of 6). Family suites have sofa beds, bathtubs, and private balconies while the penthouse suite has a kitchen, jacuzzi and steam bath and a spacious terrace. Free facilities include use of the gym, tennis courts, sauna & hammam. Hotel Phone: +30 28410 67000.
5. Minos Beach Art Hotel – Agios Nikolaos
Delightful, artsy, tranquil, beachfront resort with a laidback vibe, set in lush gardens, featuring spacious 3-bedroom, seafront, whitewashed private villas (for up to 6 people) with home cinemas, dressing rooms, well-equipped kitchenettes, and direct sea access from the sun terraces with private pools. Resort has 2 private beaches and is within walking distance of the town. Hotel Phone: +30 28410 22345.
6. St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas – Agios Nikolaos
Appealing bungalow style beach resort set in lovely gardens, overlooking the bay, featuring huge, airy 3-bedroom suites and villas (up to 6 people plus 1 infant/child) with mini-bars, bathtubs, and verandas. The high-end villas add heated private pools with sun decks, jacuzzi bathtubs, and private terraces. Note that there are lots of steps throughout the resort; ask for ground floor rooms if they’re an issue. Hotel Phone: +30 28410 90200.
7. Elounda Mare Relais & Châteaux Hotel – Elounda
Vibrantly rustic, earth-toned, 2-bedroom bungalows with pools (family of 5) having mini bars, wooden floors, fireplaces, private balconies, and furnished gardens. Hotel has a Blue Flag awarded private sandy beach, and an excellent Kid’s Ark – animal park-themed kid’s area, water park, dancing lessons, soccer camp, and kid’s spa (some facilities are at the hotel’s sister property). Hotel Phone: +30 28410 68200.
8. Atlantis Beach Hotel – Rethymnon
Modern, bungalow-style hotel right across the beach, 1.6 km from town, featuring comfortable, good-sized, 2-room family suites (family of 4) with sofa beds, fridges, and furnished balconies/patios. Hotel has its own private sandy beach and there’s a supermarket next door. Hotel Phone: +30 2831 0 51002.
9. Mantraki Hotel Apartments – Agios Nikolaos
Spacious, bright, traditional Greek-style apartments (family of 4) with sofabeds, fully equipped kitchens, and big balconies with marina views (some). Excellent central location, with the town center, lake, port, restaurants, and shopping within easy walking distance. Ideal for long stays. Hotel Phone: +30 28410 28880.
10. Suites Pandora – Chania
Stylish, centrally located hotel, housed in a traditional 17th-century building with airy, elegant suites (family of 4) with high ceilings, antique furniture, kitchenettes (fridges and stoves), marble bathrooms, and balconies (some). Lacks a lift and while harbor view rooms have good views, there are issues with loud music from nearby clubs. The hotel’s rooftop terrace offers splendid views over Old Town Chania. Hotel Phone: +30 28210 43588, +30 28210 43589.
11. Aquila Atlantis Hotel – Heraklion
Within walking distance of the city center, ferry port, and waterfront restaurants, this well-located, good-value-for-money hotel has comfortable, roomy family rooms (up to 4 people) with coffee machines, mini-bars, and good-sized balconies. Nice rooftop pool and small indoor pool. Very close to the Heraklion Archaeological Museum. Hotel Phone: +30 2810 229 103.