• Location: Jalan Juanda, right next to the airport.
• Hotel website: thepatrabali.com
• Hotel phone: +62 (0)361 935 1161
• Check prices for the Patra Resort
The Patra Bali Resort & Villas – Tasteful, traditional, and quiet(ish), despite proximity to the airport.
Large enough for guests to need maps, the immaculate Balinese-style gardens are sprinkled with palms and ponds, and the beachfront pool features a picture-perfect tropical setting. Rooms are spacious, airy, and lovingly furnished, while the villas (some with private pools) are secluded and elegantly designed. Typically for Tuban, the sand in front is a little gray and gritty, but the beach is curved, calm, and ideal for swimming. And there’s more than enough space for tennis courts, playground, children’s pool, and kids club. The resort is remote (it’s not easy to find taxis nearby), but the location in Tuban village is an attraction in itself. The runway can be clearly seen and planes often heard, but proximity to the airport is more of a bonus than a distraction.
The Patra Bali Resort & Villas – The Location
- Area: Faces Tuban Beach in a quiet area that is really a suburb, and the surrounding facilities are more for locals than tourists. Almost nowhere to eat, drink, or shop within walking distance along the streets, and only a few via the beachside path.
- Address: Jl. Ir. H. Juanda, South Kuta Beach. At the end of Jalan Juanda street, in the far southern part of Tuban (also called South Kuta). About 5 km south of Kuta, the most popular tourist region in Bali.
- How to Get There: The only way to/from the airport is by metered taxi or chartered car with a driver. This takes about 10 minutes. Looks close enough to walk but perimeter fences make this problematic.
- Handy to: Airport. Lippo Mall.
The Patra Bali Resort & Villas – The Basics
- Guests: Popular among families, especially those from Indonesia. Couples can find seclusion from noisy children.
- Kids Club: For those aged 4 to 12, it’s well-staffed and the largest in Tuban. Expansive range of activities includes bike-riding and beach football. And special baby rooms.
- Beach: Beaches in Tuban are generally gray and gritty but the sand in front of the resort is slightly better than most. Good for swimming because the water is protected from waves by a breakwater. Views are affected by the runway extension but frequent take-offs are surprisingly unobtrusive.
- Views: Most rooms overlook the gardens, lawns, pools, and ponds. Only a few of the most expensive suites face the sea.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Royal Villas feature private pools.
- Extras: Bicycle rentals (great along the beachside path as far as Kuta). Infrequent shuttle bus services to downtown Kuta.
- Parking: One advantage (especially for Indonesian tourists from Java) is the huge amount of parking – all free and secure. But think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +62 (0)361 935 1161
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: thepatrabali.com
The Patra Bali Resort & Villas – Amenities
- Pool: The main pool faces the beach and flaunts a divine palm-fringed setting, swim-up bar, and area for children. Another pool is for the exclusive use of villa guests, while a third is secluded and mostly for adults.
- Spa: The Chavana Spa is massive and modern, and caters very well for couples. Try the Frangipani Body Glow.
- Fitness Center: Alongside the spa, offering pool views, the Patra Gym is spacious and very well-equipped.
- For Families: Small, shaded playground. Baby-sitting.
- Activities: Tennis courts. Ping pong. Water volleyball. Activities all day, including lessons in weaving, language, and kite-making.
- Other Facilities: Gelato shop. Chemist/gift shop. Business Center. Moneychanger.
The Patra Bali Resort & Villas – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: Tenku Japanese Restaurant – Mezzanine level, offering marvelous views of the grounds and distant ocean. Quaint setting and authentic décor and food. • Rinascimento Italian Restaurant – Another gorgeous position facing the ocean, with food, décor, and music straight out of Genoa. Popular among families for pizzas. • Heritage Floating Lounge – Stunning, romantic setting in thatched huts that do seem to ‘float’ among lily ponds. Specializes in Indonesian food but no alcohol served. • Teratai Coffee Shop – Lovely position near the lobby for breakfast and other meals. Live Balinese music in the mornings and bands in the evenings. Open 24 hours.
- Bars: The Lobby Lounge – Open 24 hours for cocktails, coffee, and conversation. Also, light snacks and extended happy hours. • The Bar – On the sand and under shady palms, but only a few seats. • Kintamani Sunken Bar – Alongside the main pool for all sorts of drinks and light meals.
- Breakfast: Included in many rates but check when booking.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
The Patra Bali Resort & Villas – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Room • Deluxe Suite • Embassy Suite I and II • Studio Suite • Executive Suite • Garden Villa • Honeymoon Villa • Crown Villa • President Suite • Royal Villa (with 2 or 3 bedrooms) • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms but okay elsewhere, including special sections in some bars and restaurants.
- Best Room: The Presidential Suites are as amazing as they sound, featuring 2 bedrooms, a gazebo on the patio, and gorgeous Balinese décor.
- For Families: Most suites and villas can accommodate families of 4, and particularly nice are the twin-level Embassy Suites. Very secluded and private, with 2 bedrooms and separate living areas.
The Patra Bali Resort & Villas – Local Transport
- Walking: Expect to do some walking to find places to eat, drink, or shop outside the resort, or use the free shuttle bus to downtown Kuta. Most places nearby are more accessible along the lovely beachside path than any roads.
- Public Transport: No public transport in the area. The Kura-Kura Bus company links Tuban and Kuta with Ubud and the rest of southern Bali, but schedules are convoluted and routes confusing.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: To go anywhere within southern Bali, hire metered taxis which are abundant, cheap, and comfortable. For longer distances, organize a chartered car with driver (for a negotiable fare) at the hotel. Driving a car is not recommended anywhere in Bali, and renting one in Tuban/Kuta is madness. Motorbikes are easy to rent and useful for getting around the backstreets of Tuban/Kuta/Legian, but not so elsewhere in southern Bali.
- Shuttle Bus: To reach another town outside of southern Bali, e.g. Ubud, buy a ticket at a travel agency for a shuttle bus. The main operator, Perama, offers many services from its office on Jalan Legian street in Kuta, about 5 km away.
The Patra Bali Resort & Villas – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
There is nowhere to eat/drink around the side streets, but several options can be found via the beachside path to the north:
- Holiday Inn Resort Baruna – At the neighboring resort are the Palms Restaurant (family-friendly and Asian food) and ENVY (alluring décor and garden setting facing the sea). Both barely 400m away.
- Cluster of warungs (food stalls) just past the Holiday Inn. Several classy restaurants/bars at beachfront resorts such as Ma Joly and Bintang Bali, both within 800m of the Patra.
Otherwise, walk about 200m north to the Holiday Inn and within 500m along the access street to the resort are several more eateries:
- Sulis Hotel – Rooftop café/bar providing the finest views in the area.
- Dewi Shinta Restaurant – Likable garden setting in the Rama Beach resort. Popular buffets with traditional music/dance.
- Lentera Restaurant by El Toro Bali – Attracts returnees for attentive service and hearty portions of Spanish/Brazilian food.
- A couple of minimarts along the side street by the Holiday Inn, about 700m away.
- Lippo Mall – Large mall about 1 km north via the beach and side street to the Holiday Inn. Offers classy bistros, familiar fast food outlets, and plenty of places to shop.
Get All New Content• My Travel Newsletter