• Affiliate Disclosure: All hotel links on my site are affiliate links meaning I earn a small fee when you book a hotel. (There is never any extra cost to you for using these links). I use some of these earnings for my monthly charitable donation.
Rome Hotels for Families – Tips and Recommendations
- Booking.com – The best website for finding hotels in Rome.
- Best Luxury Hotel for Families in Rome: Internazionale Domus
- Best Cheap Hotels for Families in Rome: Hotel Central Lodge • Vatican Skyline
- Rome is worth visiting any time of year so if you can only visit in winter it can still be wonderful. My favorite times are Spring and Fall. July and August are the busiest months but great for outdoor dinners and eating gelato in a Roman piazza. Beware of the week before and after August 15th when the city goes on holiday and many local shops and restaurants are closed. (When is the best time to visit Rome?)
- I highly recommend taking a tour while in Rome. The smaller the better – yes, they cost more, but are worth the expense. An added bonus of tours: they often allow you to skip the huge lineups (and this can be worth the cost of the tour in itself).
- Best Tours in Rome for Kids: Walks of Italy (great company that hand picks super friendly guides) • Overome (private and semi-private tours of Ancient Rome, the Colosseum, and the Vatican – most tours are 3 hours long)
- There are several companies that offer Hop On/Hop Off bus tours – This is an easy way to see a lot of the city, but don’t have high expectations. In high season arrive with plenty of patience as finding a seat can take a wait of up to an hour. (Buying tickets in advance won’t help to avoid the lines.)
- The best gelato in Rome is at Gelateria Fatamorgana with shops in Monti, Trieste, Trastevere, Prati, and near the Spanish Steps.
- The best areas to stay in Rome: Trastevere (loaded with restaurants and bars) • Prati (near the Vatican), or Monti (Ancient Rome).
The 7 Best Family Hotels in Rome
- Click the hotel name to check prices on Booking.com – my favorite website for booking hotels. Book 4 to 6 months in advance for the best rooms and rates.
1. Internazionale Domus – luxury
1 and 2 bedroom apartments are large and great for families. All have kitchenettes. 2-bedroom suites have a second bathroom. Outstanding central location.
nearby: Via Veneto, Spanish Steps, Piazza Barberini
phone: +39 06 6919 0237
2. Parco Dei Principi Grand Hotel – luxury
The best outdoor swimming pool in Rome (and a nice indoor pool but you have to be 4 or older to use it). The spa and fitness center are top notch. Beautiful grounds, luxurious rooms, and air conditioning that really works.
nearby: Villa Borghese, National Gallery of Modern Art
phone: +39 06 854421
metro: Free shuttle bus to Veneto street and near to subway stop
3. The Westin Excelsior – luxury
A heated indoor pool, jacuzzi, good sized rooms, and a fantastic location in the heart of Rome are what make the Westin a good choice for families.
nearby: Via Veneto, Spanish Steps, Piazza Barberini
phone: +39 06 47081
4. Hotel Cosmopolita – moderate
5. Welcome Piram Hotel – moderate
A 2 minute walk from the main train station (with trains to and from the airport, Florence, Venice, Milan, and all major cities). Large quadruples are great for families. Large buffet breakfasts.
nearby: Rome Termini train Station, Hop On/Hop Off Bus Tours
phone: +39 06 4890 1248
6. Hotel Canada – moderate
Clean, comfortable, and spacious rooms. Quadruple rooms have 4 twin beds. Good buffet breakfast is included. Close to the train station and direct connections to the airport.
nearby: Termini railway station, La Sapienza University, National Museum of Rome
phone: +39 06 4457770
metro: Castro Pretorio
7. Hotel Grifo – budget
More Family Hotels in Rome
There are not a lot of hotels in Rome with suites large enough for families. Book early to get the few large rooms available. If the above hotels are fully booked here are 4 more places to stay for families in Rome.
- Villa Spalletti Trivelli (luxury)
Grand Deluxe Suites are large enough for a family of 4.
- Palazzo Manfredi (luxury)
Quadruple and family rooms available.
- Radisson Blu (luxury)
Connected rooms available. Nice outdoor pool with kiddy pool.
- Fontana Hotel (moderate)
Triple rooms and suites are good for families. Central location.
Family Apartments in Rome
Recommended apartments for families in Rome. Most are self-service rentals with kitchens, washer/dryer, and free wifi.
- Lata Luxury Apartment
2-bedroom apartment has double bed, bunk beds, sofa bed and sleeps family of 6, also has air conditioning
- Now Apartments
1-bedroom apartments have small kitchen and 2 bathrooms
- Piazza di Spagna Rome Apartments
1-bedroom apartments sleep family of 5, 2-bedroom apartments sleep family of 6
- Romance al Colosseo
3-bedroom apartment has 2 double beds, 2 single beds and sleeps family of 6, steps from Colosseum
- Luxury White House Rome
4-bedroom apartment near Vatican has full kitchen and sleeps family of 8
- Pallacorda House
Cheap 2-bedroom apartment that can sleep up to 8 (snugly)
- Yellow Home Rome
1-bedroom apartment with small kitchen and balcony, sleeps family of 5
- 64 Suites Apart
1, 2, and 4-bedroom apartments sleep 4 to 8, kitchenette or small kitchen
- Vatican City Flavio’s House
2-bedroom apartments have 2 double beds and full kitchen, sleep family of 4
- Rome with Kids
- Best Tours & Things To Do in Rome
- Best Restaurants in Rome
- Best Bars & Clubs in Rome
- Best Shops & Markets in Rome
- Family Hotels in Florence
- Family Hotels in Naples
- Family Hotels in Venice
- Family Hotels in Milan
- Europe with Kids
- Paris Hotels for Families
- London Hotels for Families
- Berlin Hotels for Families
- Prague Hotels for Families
- Amsterdam Hotels for Families