Hotels on Map: TownePlace Suites by Marriott • Hampton Inn & Suites San Diego Airport • Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island • Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina • Hilton Garden Inn • Westin Downtown
San Diego Airport – Best Places To Stay
- San Diego International Airport is just a 10 to 15 minute drive from most of the top San Diego beaches and neighborhoods and many of the best hotels in San Diego, so staying near the airport is not essential. Nonetheless there are several good hotels near the airport.
- Hotels in Terminal: There are no hotels located in the San Diego Airport. The closest hotel to the airport is the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina – just a 10-minute walk or 3 minutes by free shuttle.
- Hotels near San Diego Airport with Free Shuttle: Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina • Hampton Inn & Suites San Diego Airport • TownePlace Suites by Marriott • Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island • Courtyard San Diego Airport • Homewood Suites by Hilton • Ramada by Wyndham San Diego Airport • Best Western Yacht Harbor Hotel • Holiday Inn San Diego Bayside
- Downtown San Diego Hotels with Free Airport Shuttle: Wyndham San Diego Bayside • Four Points by Sheraton San Diego Downtown • Westin San Diego Downtown • DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego Downtown
- Rentalcars.com – great site for booking rental cars at San Diego airport
The 6 Best Hotels near San Diego Airport
Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina – Midrange
• Best airport hotel for layover or short stay.
• Excellent pet-friendly hotel just half a mile (3-minute drive) from the terminal with free shuttle (5am-midnight), paid parking, and 3 electric car charging ports.
• The closest thing to a luxury hotel near the airport, while still being good value and affordable.
• Colorful and comfortable rooms are filled with natural light and offer blackout curtains, private balconies, coffee makers, minibars, and bathrooms with tub-shower combos; some rooms have partial or full water views; interconnecting rooms available.
• Suites and rooms with Club Lounge access have 24-hour access to the Club Lounge with free snacks, free non-alcoholic beverages and Starbucks coffee, and free high speed WiFi.
• Dining options include a restaurant serving a good American menu, bar offering microbrews, cafe serving Starbucks coffee and to-go meals, 24-hour room service, and convenience store.
• Outdoor pool complex with 2 heated lagoon-style pools and jacuzzis, 24-hour well-equipped fitness center, luxury spa, coin laundry, concierge, 24-hour front desk, and full-service business center.
• A couple of restaurants on Harbor Island and some in the airport terminals, otherwise numerous options in Little Italy just 2 miles (5-minute drive) away.
• Watersports rentals and sailing tours available from the marina.
Hampton Inn & Suites San Diego Airport – Midrange
• Good midrange hotel just a mile (5-minute drive) from the terminal with paid parking and free shuttle to the airport and nearby locations.
• Rooms are spacious and soundproof, and come with blackout curtains, tea/coffee makers, mini refrigerators, and laptop-sized safes; suites also have microwave ovens.
• Free hot breakfast every morning, convenience store, and 24-hour coffee in the lobby.
• Outdoor pool, large well-equipped fitness center, business center with print/scan/copy/fax facilities, and 24-hour front desk.
• Close to (3-6 miles, 15-minute drive) several shops and restaurants, Liberty Station, SeaWorld, Fiesta Island Park, Little Italy, downtown, and San Diego Zoo.
TownePlace Suites by Marriott – Midrange
• Good, pet-friendly, and midrange all-suite hotel close to the airport (1 mile, 5-minute drive), with paid parking, 2 electric car charging stations, and free shuttle to the terminal and nearby locations (5am-11pm).
• All the family-friendly suites are spacious and soundproofed, and feature fully-equipped kitchens, blackout curtains, and bathrooms with tub/shower combos.
• Free hot breakfast buffet, convenience store, and outdoor barbecue/picnic area.
• Heated outdoor pool, well-equipped fitness center, coin-operated laundry, small business center with copy/fax service, and 24-hour front desk.
• Several shops and restaurants, Liberty Station, SeaWorld, Fiesta Island Park, Little Italy, downtown, and San Diego Zoo are 3-6 miles (15-minute drive) away.
Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island – Midrange
• Great midrange hotel by the harbor, less than 2 miles (5-minute drive) from the airport, with free airport and local area shuttle and paid parking.
• Comfortable, pet-friendly rooms feature balconies, blackout curtains, tea/coffee makers, mini refrigerators, and bathrooms with tub/shower combos.
• Dining options include a sustainability-focused restaurant and bar with outdoor waterfront seating and room service (6am-11pm).
• Heated outdoor pool and jacuzzi, compact but well-equipped fitness center with water views, full-service business center, bike rentals, and 24-hour front desk
• Beautiful location with watersports rentals and sailing tours just steps away; several restaurants, bars, shops, and attractions within a 15-minute drive (6 miles).
Hilton Garden Inn Downtown/Bayside – Midrange
• Great new hotel with a spa and rooftop pool, 2 miles (5-minute drive) from the airport, one block from Little Italy, and a 5-minute walk from Waterfront Park.
• Modern and comfortable guest rooms sleep up to four guests, and feature large windows with views to the city, harbor, or the hotel’s courtyard; all include a microwave, mini-fridge, and safe. Adjoining and wheelchair-accessible rooms are available.
• Bayside Kitchen and Bar restaurant has indoor and courtyard seating with classic mid-century styling, and serves Southern California-inspired comfort foods, as well as beer, wine, and craft cocktails. There are fun extras like fire pits and pub games, and children’s menus and high chairs are available.
• The rooftop pool and sun terrace is partially shaded, with lounge chairs and jacuzzi. The hotel fitness center has floor-to-ceiling windows to the pool deck and downtown. It is open 24 hours for guest use.
• There is a 24-hour market pantry in the lobby.
• On-site valet parking is available for $45 per day.
Westin Downtown – Midrange/Luxury
• Modern pet-friendly hotel conveniently located in downtown, 3 miles (10-minute drive) from the airport, with free shuttle (6am-11pm) and valet parking.
• Accommodations are comfortable and feature blackout curtains, complimentary bottled water, tea/coffee makers, mini refrigerators, and spacious bathrooms with shower/tub combos.
• Daily $25 fee to cover free airport shuttle, complimentary bottled water (max 4), free WiFi, unlimited local calls, and $15 food and beverage credit for cafe.
• Elegant restaurant with outdoor patio, striking wooden bar with indoor and outdoor seating, and cafe serving Starbucks coffee and breakfast. Buffet, American, and Continental breakfast options (chargeable).
• Heated rooftop pool, jacuzzi, large fully-equipped 24-hour fitness center, full-service business center, concierge, and 24-hour front desk.
• Several restaurants, bars, cafes, and shops within walking distance.
- Where to Stay in San Diego
- Best Hotels in San Diego
- Best Family Hotels in San Diego
- Best Choice Hotels in San Diego
- Best Cheap Hotels in San Diego
- Best Time to Visit San Diego
- California with Kids
- Best Time to Visit California
- Where to Stay in Big Sur
- Best Family Hotels in Los Angeles
- Where to Stay in Monterey
- Best Hotels in Palm Springs
- Best Family Hotels in Palm Springs
- Best Budget Hotels in Palm Springs
- Where to Stay in Santa Barbara
- Where to Stay in Santa Cruz
- Where to Stay in California Wine Country