SD › San Diego › Family Hotels
Updated: November 4, 2022
The 6 Best Family Resorts & Hotels in San Diego
1. Hilton (luxury) – Downtown/Gaslamp
Phone: (619) 231-4040
Outstanding location in downtown San Diego surrounded by shopping and restaurants. Petco ballpark (San Diego Padres) is within walking distance. Great for trolley and train watching. Outdoor heated pool, whirlpool, and fire pit. Suites are large and great for families of four, five, and six.
2. Hotel Del Coronado (luxury) – Coronado
Phone: (619) 435-6611
Awesome location on one of San Diego’s best beaches. Historic building with lots of fun shops and restaurants nearby. Two nice pools (one for families, the other adults only). But the beach is where the action is.
3. Paradise Point Resort & Spa (luxury) – Mission Bay
Phone: (858) 274-4630
This is the place for families. Four swimming pools open to children featuring fountains, waterfalls, and fire-pits for s’mores roasting (plus one adults-only pool). As Paradise Point is on an island, the beach is right at hand along with watersports equipment/rentals. 9-hole miniature golf course plus bike rentals make for an active trip. Younger guests (4 to 12) can join the Island Adventure Club and have amazing playdates while parents get a little time to enjoy the serenity of the beautiful surroundings.
4. Best Western Plus Bayside Inn (midrange) – Downtown/Gaslamp
Phone: (619) 233-7500
Fantastic location close to trolleys, shopping, restaurants, and attractions. Outdoor heated pool and spa is small but well kept. All guest rooms have private balcony plus microwaves and refrigerators. Start your day off right with complimentary buffet breakfast. Free shuttle to San Diego airport, trains, and cruise terminals.
5. Omni La Costa Resort & Spa (midrange) – Carlsbad
Phone: (760) 438-9111
Huge family-friendly resort with 8 pools, water slides, a kids club, and several on-site restaurants. The hotel is very close to Legoland and an easy drive to kid-friendly beaches. King suites sleep a family of 3, villas sleep a family of 4.
6. Homewood Suites San Diego Airport (midrange) – Airport
Phone: (619) 222-0500
Large one-bedroom suites (family of 4) and two-bedroom apartments (family of 5 or 6) with full kitchens, fridge, pots, pans, cutlery, and plates. In a great central location that allows easy access to most of the main attractions. Nice pool, jacuzzi, basketball area. Free wi-fi and free parking.
- Where to Stay in San Diego
- Best Hotels in San Diego
- Best Choice Hotels in San Diego
- Best Cheap Hotels in San Diego
- San Diego Airport Hotels
- Best Time to Visit San Diego
- California with Kids
- Best Time to Visit California
- Where to Stay in Big Sur
- Best Family Hotels in Los Angeles
- Where to Stay in Monterey
- Best Hotels in Palm Springs
- Best Family Hotels in Palm Springs
- Best Budget Hotels in Palm Springs
- Best Hotels in San Francisco
- Best Family Hotels in San Francisco
- Best Budget Hotels in San Francisco
- Best Choice Hotels in San Francisco
- San Francisco with Kids
- Best Time to Visit San Francisco
- Best Family Hotels in Santa Barbara
- Where to Stay in Santa Cruz
- Where to Stay in California Wine Country
What are the best family-friendly beaches in San Diego?
For small children, Bonita Cove. For slightly older kids (looking to play in gentle surf), La Jolla Shores.
What is the best hotel near Legoland for a family of 5? Preferably walking distance or a free shuttle to the park. Kid-friendly pool is a requirement.
The best family hotel really close to Legoland is the Grand Pacific Palisades Resort. They have 2-bedroom suites that sleep a family of 4, 5, or 6. It’s walking distance to Legoland (5 minutes). There are 2 pools, one for adults (and lap swimming) and one for kids with a small water park area. The Legoland Hotel is closer to the amusement park (right on the grounds, basically) but the Grand Pacific is nicer.