Greece › Athens › Museums › Museum on Panos Street: Man and Tools
by Santorini Dave • Updated: August 16, 2022
- Best Hotels in Athens
- Where to Stay in Athens
- Best Restaurants in Athens
- Best Things to Do in Athens
- Complete Athens Travel Guide
Tickets: Purchase at museum.
The Museum on Panos Street: Man and Tools is an annex of the Museum of Modern Greek Culture that’s well worth a quick visit if you’re in the Plaka area and looking for a break from shopping or eating. (The main Museum of Modern Greek Culture closed for renovation and relocation in 2015; it will eventually find its home on Monastiraki Square.) Opened in 2008 and housed in an early 19th-century house, this collection includes pre-industrial tools and products of traditional labor and depicts the working life of Greeks, mostly after the war of independence to the mid-1900’s.
Over two well-arranged floors, old tools, artifacts, photos, and memorabilia from Greek villages before the era of mass production are displayed. On the walls are first hand accounts and testimonials from the people who made and used these tools. Visitors get a sense of what day to day life might have been like back then and how much the world has evolved since the onset of industry. Interactive exhibits invite guests to explore a world gone by, yet not too long ago – great for kids. Located in Plaka, about a 400-meter walk from Monastiraki Square and metro station.
Man and Tools Museum Hours and Information
- Hours: Wednesday to Monday 8:30am – 3:30pm. Closed Tuesdays.
- Website: mnep.gr
- Location: 22 Panos St.
- Telephone: +30 210 321 4972
- Admission Fee: General Admission 2€.
- Free Entry: People aged 18 and under. March 6, April 18, May 18, June 5, September 27, the last weekend of September, Sundays between November 1 and March 31 the first Sunday of every month except for July, August and September (when the first Sunday is holiday, then the second is the free admission day.)
- Parking: Street parking.
- Nearest Metro: Monastiraki
House on Panos Street: Man and Tools
Get All New Content• My Travel Newsletter