- Best Hotels in Athens
- Where to Stay in Athens
- Best Restaurants in Athens
- Best Things to Do in Athens
- Complete Athens Travel Guide
Tickets: GetYourGuide.com (Free cancellation up to 24 hours in advance.)
Located in central Athens, the excellent and kid-friendly Museum of Cycladic Art was founded in 1986 to house the private collection of Dolly and Nikolaos Goulandris (members of a prominent Greek shipping family) – one of the most complete private collections of Cycladic art in the world.
The museum comprises two main buildings connected by an impressive entrance and an atrium. The permanent collection is housed in the main building and divided by 4 floors: Cycladic Art, Ancient Greek Art, Ancient Cypriot Art, and Scenes from daily life in Antiquity – including videos Ancient Greeks experiences including weddings, births, education, physical training, bidding warriors farewell, and funerals. Temporary exhibits are housed in an 1895 neoclassical mansion once belonging to the Stathatos shipping family; these exhibits focus primarily on contemporary art. Works of Salvador Dali, Pablo Picasso, Thomas Struth, Louise Bourgeois, Sarah Lucas, Ugo Rondinone, Jannis Kounellis, Mario Merz, Ai Weiwei, and Cy Twombly have been among the artists hosted.
There’s a shop on site selling modern designer jewelry and a great selection of books on Greek history and archeology, as well as a courtyard café/restaurant that serves delicious breakfast, sandwiches, salads, coffee and other beverages. Located in central Athens, about a 650 meter walk from Syntagma Square.
Museum of Cycladic Art Hours and Information
- Hours: Sunday 11am to 5pm. Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday 10am to 5pm. Thursday 10am to 8pm. Closed Tuesdays. Closed January 1, Clean Monday, March 25, Orthodox Easter Sunday & Monday, May 2, Holy Spirit Monday, August 15, December 25 & 26.
- Website: cycladic.gr
- Location: Neofitou Douka 4
- Telephone: +30 210 722 8321-3
- Admission Fee: General admission 10€; Reduced admission (seniors & students 19-26 years) 7€.
- Free Entry: Kids under 18, disabled visitors plus one guest.
- Parking: Street parking, nearby pay lots.
- Nearest Metro: Evangelismos, Syntagma
Athens Museum of Cycladic Art