- Best Hotels in Athens
- Where to Stay in Athens
- Best Restaurants in Athens
- Best Things to Do in Athens
- Complete Athens Travel Guide
Tickets: Free admission.
The B & M Theocharakis Foundation for the Fine Arts & Music is a lovely contemporary art museum that opened to the public in 2007 and is focused on promoting Greek artists nationally and internationally. The museum hosts a permanent collection of works by the renowned modern Greek painter, Spyros Papaloukas (1892-1957), as well as temporary exhibitions showcasing a variety of different Greek artists. Educational programs for children and adults, workshops, staged readings, lectures, concerts, and seminars are also hosted at the foundation and are centered around the history of music and fine arts. What you see and what you can hear at the Theocharakis Foundation for Fine Art and Music will depend on when you visit; a calendar of events and exhibits is available on the website.
The building housing the foundation was built by architect Vassilis Tsagris in the late 1920’s; in 1985, the building was proclaimed a heritage site. Exhibits are displayed on 3 floors – start from the top floor and work your way down. (Stairs and elevators are both available.) “Merlin Café,” a bright and cozy Mediterranean restaurant, is located on the first floor overlooking the National Garden and the Parliament building. Brunch, snacks, sandwiches, salads, pasta, main dishes, desserts (including homemade sweets), coffee/tea, juice, soft drinks, beer, wine, and cocktails are served. The café is child-friendly and prices are moderate prices. The restaurant is open from 10am to midnight daily, except for July and August (10am-8pm). The ground floor gift shop offers paintings, drawings, ceramics, books, and jewelry, with online shopping and shipping available.
Centrally located in Athens across from the Hellenic Parliament Building, just 350 meters from Syntagma Square and metro station.
B & M Theocharakis Foundation Hours and Information
- Hours: Open daily 10am-6pm. Thursdays open 10am-8pm except in July and August (10am-6pm). Closed for 2-4 weeks in summer, usually in August; call ahead of your visit during this time.
- Website: thf.gr
- Location: 9 Vasilissis Sofias & 1 Merlin
- Telephone: +30 210 361 1206
- Admission Fee: FREE Admission for permanent and temporary art exhibits. Prices for other programs, concerts, etc. are available online.
- Parking: Street Parking, nearby pay lots.
- Nearest Metro: Syntagma
B & M Theocharakis Foundation Museum