- Best Hotels in Athens
- Where to Stay in Athens
- Best Restaurants in Athens
- Best Things to Do in Athens
- Complete Athens Travel Guide
Tickets: warmuseum.gr (select “Ticket Booking”)
Military, history, and aviation buffs will find much of interest at the Athens War Museum, which opened to the public in 1975 in order to commemorate Greece’s many battles for freedom and honors all those who fought for the country. Exhibits are arranged over two floors, leading visitors chronologically through Greece’s military history from ancient to modern times. Items on display include full uniforms, weapons and armor, memorabilia, photographs, personal letters, impressive replicas, and gun and rifle collections. In addition to artifacts, there are several documentary films set up throughout the museum explaining various conflicts in the country, from the German occupation in WW2 to more recent battles. Outside and around the museum, courtyards display aircraft and large artillery pieces. There’s a nice gift and souvenir shop on ground floor.
The War Museum is kid-friendly and would be well-paired with a viewing of the changing of the guard at the Hellenic Parliament; it is centrally located in Athens’ Kolonaki neighborhood, an easy 900-meter walk east of Syntagma Square. The closest metro station is Evangelismos (blue line/line 3), the entrance to which is located in a park just across the street from the museum.
War Museum Hours and Information
- Hours: Open Tuesday to Sunday: 9am to 5pm November to March; 9am to 7pm April to October. Closed Mondays, January 1, Greek Orthodox Holy Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter Sunday and Monday, May 1, December 25 & 26.
- Website: warmuseum.gr
- Location: Vasilissis Sofias Avenue And Rizari St 2-4
- Telephone: +30 210 725 2974
- Admission Fee: 6€/person; reduced admission (seniors and students) 3€/person.
- Free Entry: Free admission on the first Sunday of every month November 1st to March 31st; free admission March 25, April 18, May 18, the last weekend of September, October 28, and November 21.
- Parking: Street parking, nearby paid lots.
- Nearest Metro: Evangelismos, Syntagma
The Athens War Museum