Greece › Crete › Rethymnon Hotels
by Santorini Dave • Updated: March 8, 2023
Best Places to Stay in Rethymnon
- Best Boutique Hotel: Avli
- Best Hotel for Families: Grecotel Creta Palace
- Best Hotel for Honeymoons: Rimondi
- Rethymnon sits on Crete’s northern coast, about halfway between Chania and Heraklion, roughly equidistant from both of Crete’s international airports. The ferry to Santorini runs twice a week from Rethymnon, making this seaside village a perfect addition to a Cycladic vacation.
- Most of Rethymnon’s compact Old Town is reserved for pedestrian-use only, with all the best restaurants, attractions, and high-end boutique hotels easily accessible on foot. There is a bus stop immediately outside of the core with frequent service east to a string of long, sandy beaches. No car is needed for a vacation here.
- Staying in Old Town is highly recommended, though many travelers may prefer to stay on one of the gorgeous beaches in the newer, eastern part of the village. If you don’t stay, visit for the day at the very least. This part of the village is among the best-preserved areas of the Venetian Republic in Greece, with gorgeous monuments dating to the 16th century that include the Fortezza (the landmark castle fortress on the harbor), the Rimondi Fountain, Venetian Loggia, and Guara Gate, the original entrance to the old walled city. Domed Ottoman mosques, minarets, and the landmark Egyptian lighthouse are just a few relics from the later Ottoman reign that grace the bougainvillea-shaded streets here.
The 7 Best Hotels in Rethymnon
1. Avli Lounge Apartments
Hotel Phone: +30 28310 58250, +30 28310 26213
Even if you don’t stay here, you must eat here. Avli’s restaurant predates the hotel, serving a fine dining menu of creative Cretan fare in an intimate, garden courtyard. Other gastronomic offerings on site include the meze bar, Raki Ba Raki, and the wine bar, Enoteca. The hotel consists of ten delightfully decorated suites spread over three Venetian-era buildings, each unique in size, layout, and decor – some with antique fireplaces, jacuzzi baths, or canopy beds. Top-tier apartments have private balconies. All guests have access to the hotel’s rooftop jacuzzi with views of the Fortezza. The hotel offers a thoughtful selection of Cretan cooking classes, Greek and Cretan wine tastings, and olive oil workshops.
2. Rimondi Boutique Hotel
Hotel Phone: +30 28310 51001
Graceful boutique hotel with a spa and hammam in the heart of the Old Town. Rooms, maisonettes, and suites are spread over two buildings right across the lane from one another: the Palazzo (set in a Venetian-era building) and the Estate (with slightly more luxurious suites). Both buildings have pools set in lush courtyard gardens. The Estate has an all-day Cretan-Mediterranean restaurant, while the Palazzo has a pool bar serving light fare, cocktails, and wine. All guests have access to both pools and restaurants. Many rooms and suites feature balconies or terraces, jetted baths, or outdoor jacuzzis. Two Rimondi Residences (a one-bedroom and a two-bedroom) with full kitchens, living areas, and outdoor, family-sized jacuzzis sit a short walk away, near the entrance to the Contemporary Art Museum. Excellent location near its namesake, the 17th-century Rimondi Fountain, Neratze Mosque, and the harbor.
3. Veneto Boutique Hotel
Hotel Phone: +30 28310 56634
Four-star, all-suite boutique hotel set in a 600-year-old mansion, formerly a Dominican monastery, with a celebrated restaurant set in a romantic courtyard and accompanied by a carefully curated wine cellar. Each suite is individually designed to accommodate the historic architecture: some with stone arches or wood beam ceilings, hardwood or terracotta floors, and some have private terraces or a spiral staircase. All feature walk-in showers. Larger suites add sofabeds, handmade mattresses, or private terraces. The attached Art Shop features hand-selected clothing, jewelry, and decor by Greek artists. Beautiful Old Town location near the 16th-century Our Lady of the Angels Church, Neratze Mosque, and the Archaeological Museum.
4. Grecotel Creta Palace
Hotel Phone: +30 28310 55181
A family-friendly paradise, this five-star resort sits on a fully serviced Blue Flag beach with an enormous main pool, separate kids’ pool, and an indoor, seasonally-heated pool. Kid, junior, and teen clubs offer age-appropriate, supervised activities on the water and in the garden. Dining is varied and plentiful with nine restaurants and bars offering Cretan, Mediterranean, sushi, and more. Guests can choose bed and breakfast, half-board, or all-inclusive meal programs. Rooms, bungalows, suites, and villas feature sunny, contemporary spaces with private balconies or terraces with garden or sea views. Upgraded suites add private plunge pools or swimming pools. Idyllic location on Missiria Beach, about four km from the Old Town. There is a bus near the hotel entrance with regular service into town, or take a taxi for under €10.
5. Casa Vitae
Hotel Phone: + 30 28310 35058
Lovingly renovated Venetian building converted into three self-contained villas, one on each floor of the house. Villas feature one or two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a separate living area, and a fully-equipped kitchen. Each villa boasts its own private pool. Well-situated in the Old Town, a short walk from Rethymnon’s best dining and historic sights.
6. Hotel Ideon
Hotel Phone: +30 2831 028667
Good value hotel an easy walk from the beach and the Old Town. Nice pool and very friendly staff. The one-bedroom apartments are great for a family of four.
7. Aquila Porto
Hotel Phone: +30 2831 200400
Nice 4-star hotel right on Rethymnon’s best stretch of beach. The hotel has a fun relaxing atomsphere without having a party vibe. The Old Town is a 5-minute walk away.
Get All New Content• My Travel Newsletter