Updated: October 11, 2016
The 12 Best Tours in Crete
1. Hiking Tour in Samaria Gorge
Walking the 18 km gorge is the activity highlight of Crete. It’s a little tricky to arrange on your own but with a tour they get you from your hotel to the start of the hike – then pick you up at the other end and return you back to your hotel. There’s a tour guide and a couple other interesting stops that you wouldn’t do on your own. Pickup towns include: Chania, Heraklion, Rethymnon, Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, and a few others.
2. Street Stories of Chania: 4-Hour Walking Tour
Great tour of Chania’s highlights and history. Highly recommended.
3. Boat Tour to Santorini
Santorini is the the most amazing island in Greece. This one day tour involves a 4 hour boat trip (2 hours each way) and about 7 hours on Santorini to explore Fira, Oia, and the fantastic views.
4. Elafonisi Island Day Trip
Elafonisi is the best beach on Crete (maybe the best beach in Greece). It’s pretty easy to get there on your own with local buses but the tour makes it effortless and you also get to stop at some local villages along the way.
5. Heraklion Bites and Sights 4-Hour Walking Tour
Food/walking tours are my favorite way to explore a new city and this is a good one.
6. Rethymnon Conquered Walking Tour
Rethymnon (also spelled Rethymno) is a very interesting city that is often overlooked. This 4-hour tour gives a good overview of its fabulous history and interesting culture.
7. Gourmet Wine Tour (from Heraklion)
Great tour with lunch, wine and olive oil tastings, and vineyard tours.
8. Day Tour to Spinalonga, Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, and Plaka (from Heraklion)
10 hour tour that takes in the highlights of eastern Crete.
9. Winery Tour & Tasting, Lasithi Plateau, and Psychro Cave (from Heraklion)
The Lasithi Plateau is amazingly beautiful. The tour is filled with vineyards, olive groves, and windmills.
10. Crete 8-Hour Traditions and Cooking Tour (from Heraklion)
Cook Cretan dishes with a local cook and learn about the life and history of Crete through food.
11. Knossos Archaeological Tour
Good tour if you’re based in Heraklion, Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Rethymnon, or one of the nearby beach towns. Start with Knossos (one of the best historical sites in Greece) then tour Heraklion and learn the history of the island. 10 hours long and includes hotel pickup.
12. Chania Art and The City Trikke Tour
An easy tour of Chania’s history and highlights on an electronic Trikke. I’ll be honest, I find these “Trikke” riders annoying – but the tour is good.