Santorini is a popular holiday destination in Greece. It’s part of the Cycladic island group, and located 200 km southeast of Athens, 150 km south of Mykonos, and 140 km north of Crete. Its most popular tourist towns are Fira, Oia, and Imerovigli which offer spectacular views of the caldera (the crater created after a devastating volcanic eruption in the 16th century BC). Santorini has a population of 15,500 and a land area of 76 square miles (a little bigger than Manhattan). The length of the island is 16 km and its width varies from 1 to 5 km. It takes about 45 minutes to drive from one end of Santorini to the other. Flights to Santorini take 4 hours from London, 3.5 hours from Paris, 2 hours from Rome, and 1 hour from Athens. There are no direct flights to Santorini from the USA, Canada, or Australia.
The 2020 Santorini Travel Guide
- The Santorini Blog
- Santorini – Where To Stay
- Santorini – Beaches & Beach Towns
- Santorini – When To Visit
- Maps of Santorini Hotels and Activities
- Fira or Oia?
- Santorini or Mykonos?
- Santorini – Best Hotels
- Santorini – Cheap Hotels
- Santorini – Beach Hotels
- Santorini – Villas & Rentals
- Santorini – Boutique Hotels
- Santorini – Hotels for Families
- Santorini – Honeymoon Hotels
- Santorini – Romantic Hotels
- Santorini – Hotels with Private Pools
- Santorini – Hotels With Sunset View
- Santorini – Cave Hotels
- Santorini – Hotel Infinity Pools
- Santorini – Cheap Hotels With Caldera View
- Santorini – All Inclusive Hotels
- Map of Santorini Hotels
- Santorini – Tours & Things To Do
- Santorini – Best Restaurants
- Santorini – Best Bars & Nightlife
- Santorini – Wineries & Wine Tours
- Santorini – Walking Tours
- Santorini – Private Tours
- Santorini – Boat Tours (Day Trips)
- Santorini – Sailing Tours (Overnight)
- Santorini – Jet Ski Tour
- Santorini – Scuba Diving
- Santorini – Kamari Open Air Cinema
- Santorini – Best Bookstore
- Santorini Holidays – Planning A Trip
- Athens to Santorini by Ferry
- Mykonos to Santorini by Ferry
- Crete to Santorini by Ferry
- Santorini – How To Get There
- Santorini – Helicopter Tours and Transfers
- Day Trips to Santorini
- Santorini – Travel Agencies
- Santorini – Vacation Packages
- Santorini – Wedding & Reception Party
- Santorini – Renting A Car
- Santorini Photography Tours
- Santorini Views
- Santorini with Kids
- Airbnb in Santorini
- Cruises to Santorini
- Where is Santorini?
- Santorini Airport
- Santorini Taxis
- Santorini Photos
- Is Santorini Safe?
- 1, 2, 3, and 7 Days in Santorini
- Fira Hotels
- Oia Hotels
- Imerovigli Hotels
- Firostefani Hotels
- Perissa & Perivolos Hotels
- Kamari Hotels
Santorini Hotel Reviews
- Anteliz Suites – Fira
- Aria Suites and Villas – Fira
- Athina Luxury Suites – Fira
- Celestia Grand Villas – Near Fira
- Cosmopolitan Suites – Fira
- Above Blue Suites – Imerovigli
- Absolute Bliss – Imerovigli
- Aenaon Villas – Imerovigli
- Andronis Concept Wellness – Imerovigli
- Astra Suites – Imerovigli
- Cavo Tagoo – Imerovigli
- Chromata Santorini – Imerovigli
- Grace Hotel Santorini – Imerovigli
- Heliotopos Hotel – Imerovigli
- Honeymoon Petra Villas – Imerovigli
- Iconic Santorini – Imerovigli
- Remezzo Villas – Imerovigli
- San Antonio – Imerovigli
- Santorini Princess – Imerovigli
- Sophia Suites – Imerovigli
- 270 Oia’s View – Oia
- Andronis Boutique Hotel – Oia
- Andronis Luxury Suites – Oia
- Anemomilos Hotel and Villas – Oia
- Canaves Hotel – Oia
- Canaves Suites – Oia
- Elysian Suites – Oia
- Esperas Santorini – Oia
- Gabbiano Apartments – Oia
- Ikies Traditional Houses – Oia
- Katikies – Oia
- Kirini Santorini – Oia
- Meregio Suites – Oia
- Myst Boutique Hotel – Oia
- Mystique Hotel – Oia
- Mythique Villas – Oia
- Oia Castle Luxury Suites – Oia
- Perivolas Hotel – Oia
- Santo Maris Oia – Oia
- White Pearl Villas – Oia
- Zoe Aegeas Traditional Houses – Oia
My Travel Newsletter
Where Is Santorini?
Santorini is an island in Greece, located in the Aegean Sea, 200 km southeast of Athens, 150 km south of Mykonos, and 140 km north of Crete. Flights to Santorini take 4 hours from London, 3.5 hours from Paris, 2 hours from Rome, and 1 hour from Athens.
How Big Is Santorini?
Santorini has a population of 15,500 and a land area of 76 sq. miles (an area a little bigger than Manhattan). The length of the island is 16 km and its width varies from 1 to 5 km. It takes 45 minutes to drive from one end of Santorini to the other.
How To Get To Santorini
Santorini is connected by direct ferry to Athens (5 to 7 hours) and the islands of Naxos, Paros, Ios, Milos, Folegandros, Mykonos, and Crete (1 to 3 hours). Flights from Athens to Santorini take less than 1 hour, direct flights from western Europe (London, Paris, Amsterdam, Rome, Venice) take 2 to 4 hours.
When Is The Best Time To Go To Santorini?
The best time to visit Santorini for good weather, boat tours, swimming, sunbathing, and nightlife is from June to September. If beach time and hot weather are not a necessity and you’re more interested in sightseeing, history, hiking, and exploring then late March, April, May, October, and early November are also great.
How Was Santorini Created?
Santorini is what remains from a massive volcanic eruption 3600 years ago. The eruption destroyed all settlements and created the caldera. The caldera is a lagoon of sea water surrounded on 3 sides by the steep cliffs of Santorini and on the 4th side by the island of Thirassia (which was part of Santorini before the eruption). The current volcano (on the island of Nea Kameni) sits in the middle of the caldera. It’s active but presently not at risk of erupting.
What Are The Main Towns In Santorini?
The towns of Fira, Oia, Firostefani, Imerovigli, and Akrotiri cling to the 300m cliffs and have magical views of the caldera and volcano to the west. The beach towns of Kamari, Perissa, Perivolos, and Agios Georgios are on the east and south sides of the island (not the caldera). For most travelers, the best place to stay in Santorini is along the caldera.
What Is The Best Place To Stay In Santorini?
The best places to stay in Santorini are the villages of Fira, Oia, Imerovigli, and Firostefani. These towns are located on the Santorini caldera and have incredible views of the volcano, sea, and sunset. All of these towns are on the west side of Santorini.
What To Do In Santorini?
The best things to do on Santorini include hiking the incredible caldera foot path, touring wineries, doing a boat tour of the caldera (with volcano hike/hot spring swimming/sunset), and visiting the island’s small charming villages. There is a vibrant nightlife with everything from wine bars to dance clubs but it’s never rowdy and the club scene is easily avoided if you’re not interested.
Note: Sign up for my newsletter and free travel guides and I’ll automatically send you all maps of Santorini and Mykonos.
How Many Days In Santorini?
Stay a minimum of 2 nights and 1 full day. But there’s so much to see and do that it’s easy to fill 5 to 7 days. If possible, do one boat tour, one wine tour, hike the Fira to Oia footpath, explore the villages of Pyrgos and Emporio, and visit the historical sites of Akrotiri and Ancient Thira. You’ll also want plenty of time to wander the cobblestoned lanes and alleys of Fira, Oia, and Imerovigli. Then there’s nightlife and all the great places to eat on Santorini.
Saving Money In Santorini
Santorini is known for 5-star luxury hotels, great restaurants, and high-end shopping but it’s easy to visit Santorini on a modest budget. There are no all inclusive resorts or all inclusive holidays or vacation packages so the key to saving money is to choose hotels and restaurants not directly on the caldera. Enjoying the incredible views is free and cheap hotels in Santorini are plentiful, good value, and good quality.