- Best Hotels in Athens
- Where to Stay in Athens
- Best Restaurants in Athens
- Best Things to Do in Athens
- Complete Athens Travel Guide
Tickets: GetYourGuide.com (Free cancellation up to 24 hours in advance.)
Established in 1930, the wonderful Benaki Museum of Greek Culture displays Greek artwork and artifacts from ancient to modern times within four levels of a beautiful neoclassical mansion, with one devoted to traveling exhibitions. The museum began began with the impressive collection of Antonis Benakis, an art collector and benefactor who donated over 35,000 pieces to the city of Athens, along with his family’s elegant home in which the museum is housed. Since its opening, the museum has grown with additions and donations to what it is today. Antonis dedicated the museum to his father, Emmanuel Benakis, a politician and philanthropist who donated to and supported many charities over the course of his lifetime, and was active in the museum until his death in 1954.
The Benaki Museum comprises 3 floors of permanent collection, with temporary exhibitions displayed in a separate section on the 2nd floor, adjacent to the museum café. Its museum gift shop, the first ever in Greece, is excellent. The Benaki is located in central Athens near Syntagma Square and the National Garden, with satellite galleries scattered throughout Athens, including the Museum of Islamic Art, The Ghika Gallery, Yannis Pappas Studio, Nema Passementerie (ribbon factory), and the Toy Museum.
Benaki Museum Hours and Information
- Hours: 10am-6pm Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday; 10am-12am Thursday; 10am-4pm Sunday. Closed Tuesdays. Closed January 1, January 6, Clean Monday, March 25th, Greek Orthodox Easter & Easter Monday, May 2nd, Holy Spirit Day, August 15th, October 28th, December 25 & 26.
- Website: benaki.org
- Location: Koumpari 1
- Telephone: +30 210 367 1000
- Admission Fee: General admission fee for permanent collection 12€. Fee for temporary exhibitions 8€.
- Free Entry: Free admission to the permanent collection every Thursday from 6pm to 12am (not including organized tours) and International Museum Day (May 18th).
- Parking: Street parking, nearby pay lots.
- Nearest Metro: Syntagma, Evagelismos
Benaki Museum of Greek Culture