• Affiliate Disclosure: All hotel links on my site are affiliate links meaning I earn a small fee when you book a hotel. (There is never any extra cost to you for using these links). I use some of these earnings for my monthly charitable donation.
Athens Hotels for Families – Where To Stay
- Athens is packed with tourists from early May until late October – book hotels as early as possible.
- Plaka, Monastiraki, and Syntagma neighborhoods are the best areas for families to stay in Athens.
- The farther north you go (away from Plaka and closer to Omonia) the uglier and sketchier the city gets. The bad areas are generally still safe but not terribly pleasant. Stay south of Sofokleous Street to avoid the least attractive areas.
- If you need to catch an early morning ferry then stay close to the Monistiraki metro station (quick direct trains to the ferry port). A for Athens is a good mid-range hotel steps from the metro station yet still a short walk to Plaka and Acropolis. Or plan on taking a taxi which can pick you up from any hotel and drop you directly at your ferry.
- Athens can easily fill 2 or 3 days of sightseeing but the highlights can be seen in one full (busy) day.
- The highlight of Athens is the Acropolis (GetYourGuide has a good skip-the-line tour). If you only have time to see one attraction then make it the Acropolis (and its most famous structure, the Parthenon).
The 7 Best Kid-Friendly Hotels in Athens
- Click the hotel name to check prices on Booking.com – my favorite website for booking hotels. Book 4 to 6 months in advance for the best rooms and rates.
Hotel phone: +30 21032 59000
The service and amenities of a 5-star hotel with the friendliness of a family-run B&B. A perfect location on a quiet street in Plaka. Great breakfast and close to the Akropoli metro station. Some rooms have kitchenettes. Review of Ava Hotel with Video.
Hotel phone: +30 21032 50900
Family-friendly, 5-star hotel with a play area and connecting rooms. Rooms, suites, and lofts all can have minimalist style or unique graffiti murals; kid favorites have Spiderman or Smurf-themed walls. Their Greek-Mediterranean restaurant has kids menus available and an especially great breakfast buffet. Located near Kotzia Square, just a 3-minute walk to the Central Market, less than a 10-minute walk to the Monastiraki Flea Market, and about a 15-minute walk to the Plaka neighborhood.
Hotel phone: +30 21089 81183
Good value hotel. 2-bedroom family rooms sleep 5. Nice pool and close to shopping, restaurants, and Glyfada beach. The tram to central Athens (30 minutes) is just outside the hotel.
4. New Hotel
Hotel phone: +30 21032 73000
Quirky, contemporary, luxury hotel just a 2-minutes walk from Syntagma Square. Modern design and decor with helpful extras like electronic blackout shades. The hotel offers a casual restaurant inside and an excellent rooftop bar and restaurant. Interconnecting rooms comfortably sleep a family of 4. Review of New Hotel with video.
Hotel phone: +30 21302 37244
Nice budget hotel/hostel with a large quadruple room perfect for families. Walking distance to Plaka.
6. Astor Hotel
Hotel phone: +30 21033 51000
Great location. A very good breakfast is included and served on the rooftop restaurant with amazing views of the Acropolis. Large triples and quads are available for families. Furnishings are a bit dated but the hotel makes a good mid-range choice near Syntagma Square and its metro stop.
Hotel phone: +30 21089 01000
Stunning setting on a private peninsula on the stretch of coast south of Athens. Great beach, pool, restaurants, kids club, and every kind of outdoor activity you can name. 10 minutes to the shops, restaurants, and nightlife of Glyfada, 20 minutes to the airport, and 40 minutes into central Athens. A free shuttle bus takes you into Glyfada (the hotel will pay for a taxi if the shuttle is delayed or full).
More Family-Friendly Hotels in Athens
- The Athens Gate Hotel (large interconnecting double rooms)
- Plaka Hotel Athens (family room with interconnecting door)
- A for Athens (family rooms have 1 double bed, 1 bunk bed, and 1 sofa bed)
- Athens Lotus Hotel (family rooms have 3 beds and 2 bathrooms)
- Centrotel (triple and family rooms)
- Athens Travel Guide
- Best Luxury Hotels in Athens
- Best Cheap Hotels in Athens
- Athens Airport Hotels
- Where to Stay in Athens
- Best Museums in Athens
- Best Restaurants in Athens
- Best Bars and Clubs in Athens
- Best Time to Visit Athens
- Best Things To Do in Athens
- Piraeus (Athens) Ferry Port Guide
- Maps of Athens
- Videos of Athens
- Greece Travel Blog