My Favorite Athens Hotels
• 5-star: Grande Bretagne
• 4-star: Electra Palace
• 3-star: Phaedra • A for Athens
• For Families: Ava
• Best Pool: Four Seasons
• Acropolis View: Electra Palace
• Airport: Sofitel
• Ferry Port: Port Square
• Beach Resort: Four Seasons
Athens Hotels for Families – Where to Stay
- Athens is packed with tourists from early May until late October – book hotels as early as possible.
- Plaka, Monastiraki, Syntagma, Makriyanni, Psirri, and the City Center neighborhoods are the best areas for families to stay in Athens. These areas are pedestrian-friendly and close to the city’s best-loved attractions. Akadimia, Kolonaki, Thiseio, and Koukaki are a little quieter with plenty of casual restaurants and shops, but a little farther to walk to the main sights. The Athens Riviera is a little outside of town but offers idyllic beaches just a short taxi ride away from the Acropolis.
- The farther north you go (closer to Omonia) the uglier and sketchier the city gets. The “bad” areas are generally safe but not terribly pleasant. Stay south of Sofokleous Street to avoid the least attractive areas.
- If you need to catch an early morning ferry then stay close to the Monistiraki metro station (quick direct trains to the ferry port). A for Athens is a good mid-range hotel steps from the metro station yet still a short walk to Plaka and Acropolis. Or plan on taking a taxi which can pick you up from any hotel and drop you directly at your ferry.
- Athens can easily fill two or three days of sightseeing but the highlights can be seen in one full (busy) day.
- The highlight of Athens is the Acropolis (GetYourGuide has a good skip-the-line tour). If you only have time to see one attraction then make it the Acropolis (and its most famous structure, the Parthenon).
The 15 Best Kid-Friendly Hotels in Athens
Hotel phone: +30 21032 59000
The service and amenities of a 5-star hotel with the friendliness of a family-run B&B. A perfect location on a quiet street in Plaka. Great breakfast and close to the Akropoli metro station. Some rooms have kitchenettes.
Hotel phone: +30 21089 01000
Stunning setting on a private peninsula on the Athens Riviera. Great beach, pool, restaurants, kids club, and every kind of outdoor activity you can name. 10 minutes to the shops, restaurants, and nightlife of Glyfada, 20 minutes to the airport, and 30 minutes into central Athens. A free shuttle bus takes you into Glyfada or Lake Vouliagmeni.
Hotel phone: +30 21074 16000
Five-star, family hotel with a seasonal rooftop pool, a playroom (supervised on request), and cartoon screenings in the private cinema on weekends. Sunday brunches offer a separate kids area with a nanny; pop up activities may include family cooking classes, kids’ theater, and more. Rooms and suites sleep up to three; interconnecting suites sleep up to four. Most include private balconies. Quiet location in Kolonaki at the foot of Mt Lycabettus a short walk to the cable car, a public playground, the Benaki Museum, and the National Garden.
Hotel phone: +30 22910 76000
Upscale beachfront resort set on sixteen sandy beaches. The resort offers plenty to keep kids entertained including two pools (one in the center and one at the main beach), a water sports center, an outdoor cinema, and a free kids club for ages four to twelve. Babysitting is available on request for a fee. Seven buffet and a la carte restaurants offer a wide variety of cuisines for bored or picky eaters. Breakfast is always complimentary, and room service is available 24/7. Sea view suites, bungalows, cabanas, and villas sleep three to nine guests; most have private gardens, jacuzzis, or pools. Located in Lagonisi, a quiet enclave around the center of the Athens Riviera. Everything you need is on site, but it’s a good idea to have a car handy for exploring the region.
Hotel phone: +30 21032 50900
Family-friendly, 4-star hotel with a play area and connecting rooms. Rooms, suites, and lofts all can have minimalist style or unique graffiti murals; kid favorites have Spiderman or Smurf-themed walls. Their Greek-Mediterranean restaurant has kids menus available and an especially great breakfast buffet. Located near Kotzia Square, just a 3-minute walk to the Central Market, less than a 10-minute walk to the Monastiraki Flea Market, and about a 15-minute walk to the Plaka neighborhood.
Hotel phone: +30 22910 60031
Relaxed resort with a playground set above a private, Blue Flag beach. Kid-friendly perks include a playground, a floating water park, a water sports center, and two outdoor pools (one with an attached kids pool), all overseen by lifeguards. Family Suites sleep up to four guests, some with private pools or jacuzzis. Residences add kitchenettes. Adjoining suites are on offer for larger groups. Breakfast is always complimentary, or opt for a half-board package to add daily lunch or dinner. Located in sleepy Anavyssos at the south end of the Athens Riviera; it’s a good idea to rent a car here.
7. Ergon House
Hotel phone: +30 21001 09090
Upscale boutique hotel with an informal gourmet restaurant, rooftop lounge, and a major foodie focus. The entire ground floor is a full-sized market with locally source produce, meat, fish, a deli, a bakery, a vertical garden growing veggies and herbs, and an indoor ice cream truck in the summer months (seen above). Kid-friendly cooking classes are on offer, as well as communal kitchens on every floor. Family Rooms sleep up five, while Extra Large Rooms sleep up to three. An outstanding breakfast is always included. Great location near Syntagma Square.
8. NEW Hotel
Hotel phone: +30 21032 73000
Quirky, contemporary, luxury hotel just a 2-minutes walk from Syntagma Square. Modern design and decor with helpful extras like electronic blackout shades. The hotel offers a casual restaurant inside and an excellent rooftop bar and restaurant. Interconnecting rooms comfortably sleep a family of 4. Review of NEW Hotel with Video.
Hotel phone: +30 21089 00000
Low-key boutique hotel with a pool just a short walk to two beaches plus a ton of restaurants, beach clubs, and ice-cream parlors. The hotel’s own restaurant serves crowd-pleasing Mediterranean dishes (with a kids menu) poolside or directly to your room. All rooms and suites have private balconies. Executive Suites have indoor jacuzzis, while some Deluxe Family Rooms have outdoor, private jacuzzis. Set in mellow Vouliagmeni, the best of the beach towns in the Athens Riviera.
10. The Gem Society
Hotel phone: +30 21022 07777
Affordable luxury hotel in the City Center, near the National Historical Museum and the Central Market. Superior Suites sleep five to six guests with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a freestanding bathtub, and a sunny terrace with a view of the Acropolis. Rooms can be booked on their own, with breakfast, half board, or full board with meals prepared in their gourmet, all-day bistro; room service is available 24/7.
11. Ivis 4
Hotel phone: +30 21032 13340
Playful boutique hotel filled with an all-day Greek restaurant and patio garden. Suites sleep up to four guests with a king-sized bed and sofabed, all with private balconies and original grafitti murals. Family dining is fantastic at their casual Greek restaurant with kids’ menus, 24/7 room service, and a hearty complimentary breakfast. Wonderful Psirri location near the Ancient Agora and Ermou shopping street.
Hotel phone: +30 21118 24604
Families with older kids (10-years-old and up) will appreciate The Foundry’s wonderfully wild rooftop picnic garden with a pizza and snack menu in the summer months. These spacious self-catering apartments sleep up to four guests in one or two-bedroom spaces, some spread over two stories. All suites have fully equipped kitchens with dishwashers, stovetops, and ovens. Rooms come with a complimentary, fully-stocked minibar, and a rich daily breakfast is included. Be advised there are no TVs, so bring your own tablet or laptop if screen time is a necessity. Excellent location in Psirri near the Benaki Museum of Islamic Art and the Ancient Agora.
Hotel phone: +30 21089 81183
Good value hotel. Two-bedroom family rooms sleep a family of 5. Nice pool and close to shopping, restaurants, and Glyfada beach. The tram to central Athens (30 minutes) is just outside the hotel.
14. A for Athens
Hotel phone: +30 21302 37244
Affordable boutique hotel with a popular, all-day rooftop restaurant with an Acropolis view terrace. Quadruple Rooms have a double bed, a bunk bed, and a sofa bed, while Triple Rooms have a double bed and sofa bed. Located at the border of Psirri and Monastiraki, just steps from the Monastiraki Metro station, perfect for catching early-morning ferries from Piraeus.
Hotel phone: +30 21302 37244
Nice budget hotel/hostel with a large quadruple room perfect for families. Walking distance to Plaka.
More Family-Friendly Hotels in Athens
- Athens Gate Hotel (large interconnecting double rooms)
- Plaka Hotel Athens (family room with interconnecting door)
- Athens Lotus Hotel (family rooms have three beds and two bathrooms)
- Centrotel (triple and family rooms)
- Divani Apollon Palace & Thalasso (great beach resort, 30-minutes outside of Athens
- Athens Travel Guide
- Best Luxury Hotels in Athens
- Best Hotels on the Athens Riviera
- Best Cheap Hotels in Athens
- Athens Airport Hotels
- Where to Stay in Athens
- Best Museums in Athens
- Best Archaeological Sites in Athens
- Best Shopping in Athens
- Best Restaurants in Athens
- Best Bars and Clubs in Athens
- Best Time to Visit Athens
- Best Things To Do in Athens
- Piraeus (Athens) Ferry Port Guide
- Maps of Athens
- Videos of Athens