• Affiliate Disclosure: All hotel links on my site are affiliate links meaning I earn a small fee when you book a hotel. (There is never any extra cost to you for using these links).
• Charitable Giving: I use some of these earnings for my monthly donation.
• Updates: Get my free newsletter and all new travel guides, maps & hotel reviews.
Athens Hotels for Families – Tips and Recommendations
- Athens is packed with tourists from early May until late October – book hotels as early as possible.
- The Plaka, Monastiraki, and Syntagma neighborhoods are the best areas for families to stay in Athens.
- The farther north you go (away from the Plaka and closer to Omonia) the uglier and sketchier the city gets. The bad areas are generally still safe but not terribly pleasant. Stay south of Sofokleous Street to avoid the worst areas.
- If you need to catch an early morning ferry then it’s recommended to stay close to the Monistiraki metro station (quick direct trains to the ferry port). A for Athens is a good mid-range hotel steps from the metro station yet still a short walk to the Plaka and Acropolis.
- Athens can easily fill 2 or 3 days of sightseeing but the highlights can be seen in one full (busy) day.
- The highlight of Athens is the Acropolis (GetYourGuide has a good skip-the-line tour). If you only have time to see one attraction then make it the Acropolis (and its most famous structure, the Parthenon).
The 5 Best Kid-Friendly Hotels in Athens
The service and amenities of a 5-star hotel with the friendliness of a family-run B&B. A perfect location on a quiet street in the Plaka. Great breakfast and close to the Akropoli metro station. Some rooms have kitchenettes.
(Hotel phone: +30 21 0325 9000)
One of the cheapest hotels in central Athens with a pool – rooftop on the 12th floor with great views. There are triple rooms (3 single beds) and family rooms (4 single beds). Located near Omonia Square which is scruffy but not dangerous. Walking distance to top sights and very short walk to the metro – with direct trains to Piraeus ferry port.
(Hotel phone: +30 21 0523 1753)
3. Astor Hotel
Great location. A very good breakfast is included and served on the rooftop restaurant with amazing views of the Acropolis. Large triples and quads are available for families. Furnishings are a bit dated but the hotel makes a good mid-range choice near Syntagma Square and its metro stop.
(Hotel phone: +30 21 0335 1000)
Good value hotel. 2-bedroom family rooms sleep 5. Nice pool and close to shopping, restaurants, and Glyfada beach. The tram to central Athens (30 minutes) is just outside the hotel.
(Hotel phone: +30 210 8981183)
5. City Circus
Nice budget hotel/hostel with a large quadruple room perfect for families. Walking distance to the Plaka.
(Hotel phone: +30 21 3023 7244)
More Family-Friendly Hotels in Athens
- Four Seasons Astir Palace (supreme luxury at a beach resort 30-minutes south of Athens)
- The Athens Gate Hotel (large interconnecting double rooms)
- Plaka Hotel Athens (family room with interconnecting door)
- A for Athens (family rooms have 1 double bed, 1 bunk bed, and 1 sofa bed)
- New Hotel (large interconnecting rooms)
- Athens Lotus Hotel (family rooms have 3 beds and 2 bathrooms)
- Centrotel (triple and family rooms)